+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Curious to see who applied the second time and didn't get an RQ

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Saloo said:
if your application is a family application does it make sense to identify your self as homemaker( during 7 months of unemployment period immediate after immigrating to canada ) although your wife in her application she identify her self as homemaker as well.
It's important never to lie. My (overly dramatic, but personally helpful) RQ motto is that the truth is your only refuge.

If you made a decision to stay home to take care of a new baby or the kids and make food, clean house, etc. then, yes, list yourself as a homemaker. But if you were looking for other work or volunteering or taking English/French classes or whatever, put down "volunteer" or "language student" or "searching for employment".

"Homemaker" isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card. It shouldn't be used if it doesn't honestly apply.
Many people (myself included) overlook listing "homemaker" as "employment". I left the employment field blank for the period that I was on mat leave and nursing my squalling infant 10 hours a day. Even though that was some serious work...

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
I mentioned that I was unemployed for 3 months. I wish I wrote down homemaker. Didn't know. Well...hoping for the best ;D
But did you travel anytime in the last 4 years? Also i guess being unemployed with travel does not matter since A5 says self identified as consultant or self employed.

If you were never self employed or a consultant in last 4 years, then i guess you are good.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear_pnp said:
But did you travel anytime in the last 4 years? Also i guess being unemployed with travel does not matter since A5 says self identified as consultant or self employed.

If you were never self employed or a consultant in last 4 years, then i guess you are good.
Unemployed can trigger A5.
"A5 – Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period." http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/rq-risk-indicators/

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
Unemployed can trigger A5.
"A5 – Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period." http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/rq-risk-indicators/
Hmm i see...but the new ATIP release says this:

A5:
Homemakers, retirees, students are not considered unemployed (4,9, 18).
Explanation of consultant/self-employed with travel situation (5,8-9) – they went with a “strict” scenario – any period of unemployment within 4 years + any travel, even if it does not coincide with unemployment

Now how do we interpret the above.

1. Is it "Explanation of consultant/self-employed with travel situation" = RQ

or

2. "Explanation of consultant/self-employed with travel situation" = RQ provided there is "any period of unemployment within 4 years + any travel, even if it does not coincide with unemployment". NO RQ if no travel and no unemployment.

or

3. RQ = "Explanation of consultant/self-employed with travel situation" or "any period of unemployment within 4 years + any travel, even if it does not coincide with unemployment" ( here it doesn't matter if you were ever consultant or self employed ).

Any thoughts???

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The quote is from Akella's summary. He provides the page numbers of the original document (in parentheses) so people can check the ATIP itself. If you check the actual ATIP, let us know what you find out. My guess is that unemployment + travel is still a risk factor because it has the same basic characteristic of some freelance, consultant work, which is that there's not a physical office and the institutions and structures of a office or workplace environment which allows citizenship officers or officials to infer physical presence.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh ya I traveled (work & leisure) . That's why it took me an extra 1/2+ a year to apply. The unemployed part was when I transitioned from a study permit to a work permit. So technically, during my PR days, I was always employed (I got my PR 1 year after my work permit).

The nice thing is that my study permit, work permit and PR are under one Client ID. So checking my presence in Canada wouldn't be a issue hopefully. 8)

I tried my best to follow the stamps on my passport and the e-itinerary I have. We'll see. ;D

dear_pnp said:

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
The quote is from Akella's summary. He provides the page numbers of the original document (in parentheses) so people can check the ATIP itself. If you check the actual ATIP, let us know what you find out. My guess is that unemployment + travel is still a risk factor because it has the same basic characteristic of some freelance, consultant work, which is that there's not a physical office and the institutions and structures of a office or workplace environment which allows citizenship officers or officials to infer physical presence.
Yeah thats right, its from Akella's summary.

Well I agree with you on this point " any unemployment + travel " triggers an RQ.

And also I guess if you were self employed/consultant/freelance worker and never travelled then you won't get any RQ. What do you think of "self employed/consultant/freelance worker + no unemployment + travel" = RQ???

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
Oh ya I traveled (work & leisure) . That's why it took me an extra 1/2+ a year to apply. The unemployed part was when I transitioned from a study permit to a work permit. So technically, during my PR days, I was always employed (I got my PR 1 year after my work permit).

The nice thing is that my study permit, work permit and PR are under one Client ID. So checking my presence in Canada wouldn't be a issue hopefully. 8)

I tried my best to follow the stamps on my passport and the e-itinerary I have. We'll see. ;D
hmm i see...well lets just hope for the best. Do you mind telling us when did they start processing your application?

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Application Rec'd May 27, 2013. Started Processing: Sep 10, 2013. I am on the May 2013 thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/may-2013-applications-citizenship-t157187.0.html

dear_pnp said:
hmm i see...well lets just hope for the best. Do you mind telling us when did they start processing your application?

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
Application Rec'd May 27, 2013. Started Processing: Sep 10, 2013. I am on the May 2013 thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/may-2013-applications-citizenship-t157187.0.html
Awesome!! i am a month behind you in the processing time :)

Also do you know if your file has been transferred anywhere?

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear_pnp said:
Awesome!! i am a month behind you in the processing time :)

Also do you know if your file has been transferred anywhere?

Great! Not really. I called like 3 weeks ago and the agent was like "don't bother calling us this year". He sounded annoyed. So I plan to call in April. Give them time. You?

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Awww i see....

Yes I called them last week. they said file is under process at Sydney....

I hope the transfer happens before the end of the year.

QAI

Apr 12, 2008
I tried my best not to leave any gaps. but there were about 6 months of time when I was not employed wishI would have also mentioned homemaker, I simply wrote "unemployed" which was not good enough for them.