+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Curious entry procedure for visitor to Canada on April 19, 2023 (no questioning by CBSA officer took place)

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Hi there,

My Mom has a visitor visa for Canada, and it was her first time traveling to Canada. I am a Canadian citizen. We entered Canada on April 19 through the Vancouver international airport. I understand that public servant started their strike on that very date.

My understanding of the process for a visitor is that
1) a visitor will first complete a questionnaire at one of the primary inspection kiosks
2) Then, a receipt (with a photograph) will be generated
3) The visitor will be questioned by a CBSA officer regarding the purpose and length of his/her visit to Canada.

My Mom completed steps 1) and 2). Then we joined the queue to see a CBSA officer. When it was our turn, a CBSA officer looked at our receipts and asked us to proceed to the Exit. I found it very strange, but thought that maybe CBSA has a new procedure in place where a visitor will be questioned at the Exit instead. Before reaching the exit, an officer simply took our receipts, and asked us to exit the area, which we did.

I found the whole process very confusing and concerning. My concern is that my Mom may have entered Canada improperly through no fault of her own. I thought that maybe the CBSA officer mistook my Mom for a Canadian citizen since I am a citizen and my Mom was traveling with me. But then that would not make a lot of sense either. This is because when I had previously entered Canada as a Permanent Resident, I was questioned by an officer regarding the length of my absence and how much money I was bringing with me.

This time, neither of us was questioned.

So my questions are:
a) Is this now the new entry procedure where a traveler (whether a visitor or citizen/PR) is no longer questioned by a CBSA officer? Or, is our experience due to the strike action on April 19th?
b) How to find out how long my Mom is permitted to remain in Canada on this visit? One of the questions at the kiosk was how long she plans to stay in Canada. We put 180 days.

Thanks!!

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
They wave by a lot of people. I was also concerned when entering Canada from the United States. And they didn't even look at my pr card. They have a record of entries under your mother's name that you can order to ensure that she did enter the country properly. I would scan the receipt. I would keep that scan as a part of her records and make sure she leaves before her duration is out.

Reactions: ybjianada

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi there,

My Mom has a visitor visa for Canada, and it was her first time traveling to Canada. I am a Canadian citizen. We entered Canada on April 19 through the Vancouver international airport. I understand that public servant started their strike on that very date.

My understanding of the process for a visitor is that
1) a visitor will first complete a questionnaire at one of the primary inspection kiosks
2) Then, a receipt (with a photograph) will be generated
3) The visitor will be questioned by a CBSA officer regarding the purpose and length of his/her visit to Canada.

My Mom completed steps 1) and 2). Then we joined the queue to see a CBSA officer. When it was our turn, a CBSA officer looked at our receipts and asked us to proceed to the Exit. I found it very strange, but thought that maybe CBSA has a new procedure in place where a visitor will be questioned at the Exit instead. Before reaching the exit, an officer simply took our receipts, and asked us to exit the area, which we did.

I found the whole process very confusing and concerning. My concern is that my Mom may have entered Canada improperly through no fault of her own. I thought that maybe the CBSA officer mistook my Mom for a Canadian citizen since I am a citizen and my Mom was traveling with me. But then that would not make a lot of sense either. This is because when I had previously entered Canada as a Permanent Resident, I was questioned by an officer regarding the length of my absence and how much money I was bringing with me.

This time, neither of us was questioned.

So my questions are:
a) Is this now the new entry procedure where a traveler (whether a visitor or citizen/PR) is no longer questioned by a CBSA officer? Or, is our experience due to the strike action on April 19th?
b) How to find out how long my Mom is permitted to remain in Canada on this visit? One of the questions at the kiosk was how long she plans to stay in Canada. We put 180 days.

Thanks!!
It is totally up to the officer if and what they decide to ask anybody, I don't think it is a new procedure not to ask questions. She can stay for 6 months since the officer didn't put a date in her PP saying otherwise.

Reactions: ybjianada

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
They wave by a lot of people. I was also concerned when entering Canada from the United States. And they didn't even look at my pr card. They have a record of entries under your mother's name that you can order to ensure that she did enter the country properly. I would scan the receipt. I would keep that scan as a part of her records and make sure she leaves before her duration is out.
Thank you! I think I will order the record of entry that you were talking about.

truthprev

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
Hi There,

When I entered Canada with my parents (on visitor visa), I remember entering 5 months as period of stay like they made us enter.. I entered 5 months cause that's what we have said in the application.. now I am super scared because 5 months ended on 20thMarch.. I mean I was of the firm believer that if nothing is marked on your passport or a visitor record is issued you are good for 6 months but disucssing with some people here they are saying the date you yourself entered in the Kiosk is what they would consider.. Could someone please advise if it is still 6 months if nothing is mentioned on the passport or visitor record?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi There,

When I entered Canada with my parents (on visitor visa), I remember entering 5 months as period of stay like they made us enter.. I entered 5 months cause that's what we have said in the application.. now I am super scared because 5 months ended on 20thMarch.. I mean I was of the firm believer that if nothing is marked on your passport or a visitor record is issued you are good for 6 months but disucssing with some people here they are saying the date you yourself entered in the Kiosk is what they would consider.. Could someone please advise if it is still 6 months if nothing is mentioned on the passport or visitor record?
Were you given a visitor record, if so the it's the date shown on that?

If not and they wanted to let you only stay for 5 months it would have been put into your PP, if nothing written in your PP then it's 6 months.

truthprev

Star Member
Apr 26, 2016
Were you given a visitor record, if so the it's the date shown on that?

If not and they wanted to let you only stay for 5 months it would have been put into your PP, if nothing written in your PP then it's 6 months.
Thank you Canada2020eh.. I really appreciate your response that releives some weight off my chest.. I will tag you in another thread. if you could be so kind to answer my other questions related to this. Please please...