+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CSQ Points calculator help.

goldy17venky

Oct 16, 2022
Hi, My family score is 59 when I take the score calculator on canadavisa.com.

I just have doubt on one point, even though I have selected degree is completed outside quebec, the score calculator of canadavisa.com still gives it 12 points (As shown below) for field of training. With these 12 points I will be having 59 and cross the cutoff.

Education Domain
*Area of training points are given based on the Quebec equivalent level of education and area of study. The result/Quebec equivalent may vary depending on where the degree was obtained, the duration of the program and the courses completed.

The Masters Degree in Computer Engineering is completed in INDIA (Gujarat Technological University).

Will this be considered as QUEBEC Equivalent (12 points) for field of training or 09 Points as Foreign Degree.

Any insights would be of great help. Thanks !

PS: Already filled EOI today (Outland) on Arrima thinking my score is 59. Now I am having doubts.

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
Hello, I just came across your question. As a general rule, degrees would be considered "Quebec equivalent" only if they are in one of the next categories:

1_degree obtained inside the province of Quebec,
2_degree obtained inside Canada but outside Quebec (this distinction it has to do more with the Professional workers associations, like the Order of Engineers in Quebec, more of that later),
3_Degrees outside Canada but from countries that has a special treaty with Canada/Quebec. For example, France/Belgium both have treaties with Quebec, and all countries that signed the Washington Accord have one with Canada. This covers equivalencies between undergraduate studies in engineering in general (India is a member of said treaty, links follows). Although you have a master's degree, so I do not know how that will play out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Accord_(credentials)#:~:text=The Washington Accord is an,accreditation in its signatory countries.

In the mean time, you can check a couple things that may help you, one is the the "Comparative Evaluation for studies done outside Quebec", link follows. Applying to it can give you a "quebec equivalency" of your studies in the province approved by the Ministry of Immigration itself.
https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/en/evaluation/formulaire-evaluation-en.pdf

At the same time, you can check with the Order of Engineers of Quebec, about becoming a member, the same will ask you/make you do comparative evaluation of your studies.
https://www.oiq.qc.ca/en/futurs-membres/devenir-ingenieur-au-quebec/i-have-an-international-degree/

I think either can help you to have another document saying that you have a "Quebec equivalent", in case they (the immigration agent) ask you for further documents/proof of your studies.

Good luck

Reactions: goldy17venky

goldy17venky

Oct 16, 2022
A big thank you @LOLR1 for taking out time to write a comprehensive reply. It addresses my issue, and I will look to acquire equivalency document from one or the other source after finding the one suitable for my case.

Thanks again and have a nice day :) :)

Reactions: LOLR1