+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CSQ approved, Can I move to Toronto right after landing in Quebec???????

firasj78

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/10/2010
Doc's Request.
no
Nomination.....
14/06/2010
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
to detroit 13/10/2011
Med's Request
28/03/2011
Med's Done....
14/05/2011
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
16/01/2012
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2012
LANDED..........
18/02/2012
Hi everyone,
I am ready to send my CIC application to Buffalo. I received my CSQ 2 months ago. After landing in Quebec, can I move to another province right after landing? Or how long do I have to wait before doing that?

I read a lot about that, some opinions said that it should not be a problem. Once you land you can move anywhere you want in Canada.

Please share your opinion

Thanks.
Firas

firasj78

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/10/2010
Doc's Request.
no
Nomination.....
14/06/2010
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
to detroit 13/10/2011
Med's Request
28/03/2011
Med's Done....
14/05/2011
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
16/01/2012
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2012
LANDED..........
18/02/2012
Does anyone has the same situation?

S

shazia72

i was also wondering the same... All my relatives r in toronto and i would like to go and stay there... I am just worried tht when u will applied for citizenship, there might be aproblem.... u need to have a good justification of why u shifted after landing.
regards

firasj78

Star Member
Aug 8, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/10/2010
Doc's Request.
no
Nomination.....
14/06/2010
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
to detroit 13/10/2011
Med's Request
28/03/2011
Med's Done....
14/05/2011
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
16/01/2012
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2012
LANDED..........
18/02/2012
Please share your opinions.

amgra

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2010
This is just an opinion, I repeat, it is just my opinion base on what I have read here in the forum:

You applied for Quebec, you have the right to stay in Quebec, that's it.
If you read the CIC web site, where it talks about Permanent Residency (Full time employee), it makes a clear distinction stating this: If you plan to reside in Quebec, you have to apply for a CSQ and then come back a finish a federal application WITH your CSQ in your possession. what this tells me is, they separate Quebec and rest of Canada, so if you were admitted to Quebec, you only have the right to settle in Quebec.
Now, this also is what I understand, once you receive your Permanent Resident Card, (I do not have mine yet, so I am not sure), if it says "restricted to Quebec", you definitively cannot settle anywhere else than Quebec. But, if it does not say anything about a restriction, you are legally a permanent resident of Canada, so you are free to move wherever it pleases you.
That was just my opinion (2 sides of the coin)

For what I have read here, from others opinions; you have to try to settle in Quebec, if after some time (1 year or so) you could not find a job at all, you did not catch up with the french, then you can move out and actually have an explanation why you moved, because you could not find a live here in Quebec.

Let's see what others have to say.

A G

Sep 2, 2010
firasj78 said:
Hi everyone,
I am ready to send my CIC application to Buffalo. I received my CSQ 2 months ago. After landing in Quebec, can I move to another province right after landing? Or how long do I have to wait before doing that?

I read a lot about that, some opinions said that it should not be a problem. Once you land you can move anywhere you want in Canada.

Please share your opinion

Thanks.
Firas

There is nothing wrong in moving outside quebec if you really inteded to live in Quebec and made a serious effort to settle there but failed.

But if you moved outside quebec immediately after landing then this means you only used quebec system to immigrate to Canada not to immigrate to Quebec.

There have been some cases taken to court and unless you can prove you have made efforts to settle in Canada they will consider you lied in your application.

At the same time there are cases where people who got their QSC and landed in Toronto without any problem at all!!!

amgra

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2010
If only talking of landing, i am a living prove, i am a qsw, and i landed in Toronto, at the immigration counter asked for my csq, after showing it, i was able to get out of the airport meanwhile the next connection flight to smoke, but i think thr main concern is, you might be able to exit the airport, but in order to receive your permanent resident card, they will ask you for your quebec address, and then, when you want to apply for citizenship, in my opinion, there will be a priblem if you did not settled where you were given the permit in the first place.

shahzadchowdhry

Star Member
Dec 17, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Kuala Lumpur
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2010
Nomination.....
23-06-2010
AOR Received.
29-10-2010
Med's Request
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
06-12-2010
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2011
Hi,
I have recieved my CSQ in June and will apply for federal around mid October. If my application will be successful, I am planning to land in Toronto and stay with my sister for 2-3 days before shifting to Gatineau or Montreal. Will I be able to apply for PR card while I will be staying with her giving her address as mailing address.
@ amgra- Where r u living in Quebec? Can u tell us about ur experience in terms of housing, survival jobs, etcc? I also wanted to know if i will be able to get my daughter admitted in an english medium school. she is now 2 yrs old. I don't mind sending her to french one. Just wanted to know for info.
Regards
Shahzad

narmeen

Nov 17, 2009
Hi Amgra,

Congrats for your settlement in Quebec.
Wish you have all the happiness you deserved.
I would like to more about Montreal and Quebec.
Any info will be useful for us.

Thanking you for sharing your landing experience which was very different from others as you landed in Toronto first.

amgra

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2010
@narmeen:
Hello again, thank you for your good wishes, I also hope everything goes perfect for me :), well where to start, All the government employees have been very polite and kind, all the services and publications are in french, when I did not know a work or I felt nervous I asked if it was OK to continue in English or just say the unknown work in English and they were OK with that.
To get the SIN (NAS) card, the ask you only for your passport with the visa and your COPR, once you get the number (right away) they tell you it will get through the mail in X weeks, which came early as I was expecting it, once I got the number, I went to get the driver license, one new thing I was not expecting was, you have to make an appointment, it is not fast, I arrived the 12 August and the next available appointment they could give me was Sep 17th, so I can only comment it is going to take a while, but don't worry, I read somewhere in the pamphlets or their web site, we are entitle to drive with our international driver license 90 days, after that, you could be sanctioned. So I still have time and I do not have a car anyway :).
Montreal is a big city, but as you can imagine, space to extend is not a problem here in Canada, so, all the business are small business, and there is small amount of shopping malls, which I was expecting otherwise, all the streets are clean and there is signs for everything, to cross the streets, the name of the streets, where to cross, where are the bus stops, where is the metro station (all look like normal buildings, very different from my home country, but the counters and tickets sales and corridors are under ground), etc. You can buy a ticket for 1 run (CAD$2.64), 6 runs, 1 whole day[CAD$7.00] (no matter how many times or connections you make), 1 week (CAD$20.XX), 1 month and there is a 4month ticket only available to students. The 1run, 6run and 1day you buy the paper ticket, for the rest you have to bay a plastic card very similar to a SIM card for the cell phone (the whole plastic not just the chip) it costs CAD$7 and it is rechargeable, you have to keep the paper receipt just in case. ahh before I forget, all this passes work for the metro and the buses, there is no difference. Now I am really really really impressed with their bus/metro system, every time I have had to go somewhere I just go to google maps, type in the two addresses and google will tell me with 1 minute of error EXACTLY at what time the bus or metro will stop, where to transfer, how long to wait for the next bus or train to arrive, all the bus stops have a number written, google will tell you that stop number. As well you can go to the web site of the transport network, www.stm.info to trace your route, really amazing guys.

@shahzadchowdhry: i currently live in Montreal, QC. Well I am comparing the rent costs to my home country and they are more expensive, but compared to the US, they are just a bit more expensive, I rented a room, not an studio or an apartment for myself, I rented a room which I share with the landlord and one more roommate and it costs CAD$500/month, but before I made my decision to move in here, I read in craiglist and severl sites where you look for apartments and the price range for an apartment with one room (the whole apartment) cost around CAD$800-900. I made my decision to arrange stay here before arriving because I was afraid my process to receive the permanent resident card would take longer than normal or to not have any problems at my arriving because of what I mentioned, I could not come directly to Montreal as I would wished, so in order to all go smooth in Toronto, I decided to rent before to know this place through the internet, the page I used was ca.easyroomate.com. This was only my way to think, it might not be a problem, but I did not want to take the risk.
Now the jobs, I have not pay attention to ALL employments only in my area, but in general, I would say there is a LOT of working demand, every day I read about 10-20 NEW posts for my area, so it will depend on what you are looking for (the area and the $), now this is testimony, I went to the NOC web site, read about the low-average-high pay in my area, every time I have received a call form a job post I did in the past XX days, they always ask you, how much are you expecting to make? What is your salary expectancy? Then I come up with just a bit lower than the average (not the low one) and they in general do not argue about it, so I can confirm or assume, this table is accurate. Now for survival jobs, there is plenty (about 1 sign every three blocks), when you walk the streets, you'll see signs like hair dresser, storage clerk, delivery guy needed, so in case of need, that you cannot wait anymore to start working and you need the money, I am going to say there is a survival job possibility almost immediately.

I hope I did not bore you with banal details, but I really want to describe you all I have seen these three weeks. Please, if you have some specific question, I will gladly answer the best I can. In resume, now I am almost sure I will survive without a car, at least if I find a job around the city. I have been applying during my three weeks for 4 days last week and four days this week, in total, I am going to say 30 applications sent by email, I have received so far, 4 phone interviews, which I have been told is a good sign, and I have been requested a face to face meeting with two of them, I have been asked to take a test in each one, I have been asked to sign a paper consent to check my background (which obviously is going to come up black, I just arrived :) ) and the final decision for any of these two jobs, I will get one this coming Tuesday or Wednesday, God help me to get one of those at least.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you come in through a PNP or Quebec, you sign that your intentions are to settle in that province. If you never even spend a day in that province, that provincial program could report you for having lied on your application. If you do at least land in that province and stay for a while, they would have a hard time proving that you lied on your application. Maybe your intentions really were to settle in that province, you started there but then you got a job offer somewhere else.

I have been on this forum for a while now and I have never heard of anybody who was reported by a PNP or by Quebec because they did not stay. I have also never heard of someone who was denied citizenship because of that. If it were me, I would still be careful, land in the correct province, give an address there to receive the PR card, apply for the SIN there and stay for a bit.

The PR card is not limited. It is PR of Canada, not PR of QC or PR of any other province. There is a thing called the charter of rights and freedoms and this document states that a PR has the right to live and work in any province in Canada.

coolguy001

Star Member
Oct 28, 2008
Leon said:
If you come in through a PNP or Quebec, you sign that your intentions are to settle in that province. If you never even spend a day in that province, that provincial program could report you for having lied on your application. If you do at least land in that province and stay for a while, they would have a hard time proving that you lied on your application. Maybe your intentions really were to settle in that province, you started there but then you got a job offer somewhere else.

I have been on this forum for a while now and I have never heard of anybody who was reported by a PNP or by Quebec because they did not stay. I have also never heard of someone who was denied citizenship because of that. If it were me, I would still be careful, land in the correct province, give an address there to receive the PR card, apply for the SIN there and stay for a bit.

The PR card is not limited. It is PR of Canada, not PR of QC or PR of any other province. There is a thing called the charter of rights and freedoms and this document states that a PR has the right to live and work in any province in Canada.
Je suis d'accord avec vous

Shahi

Champion Member
Oct 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
15-02-2011 CSQ
AOR Received.
25-05-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with Initial Application
File Transfer...
25-02-2011
Med's Request
13-03-2011
Med's Done....
14-03-2011
Interview........
NR
Passport Req..
13-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2011
LANDED..........
30-05-2011
Amgra

thanks for writing such detailed experience...to see that quebec has considerable amount of jobs..i m very glad....please keep sharing ur experiences..

Shahi

amgra

Star Member
Jun 5, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2010
One more thing, when arrived at Montréal, the lady who gave me the welcome kit, also made an appointment to a chancellor, who made for me an appointment to a course called "Adapting to the job market in Quebec" [S'Adaper au monde du travail de Québec], it is an 8 days course and it will be in an office close to your home address, mine was from Mon-Thur, and Tue-Fri, so far I have assisted to the first week, tomorrow is labor day, so the next class is Tuesday, here the speaker talk about what to put in your CV (Resume), what to and not to say in an interview, what and how to answer to a phone interview, your rights as an employee, where to look for job, how to know what salary expect, where to look for help at the time to make your taxes at the end of the year, etc. This course will be related 100% to QUEBEC job market, which I have been told it is a bit different than the rest of the country, the information I have been receiving here have been very helpful and inspiring. And because it is in french, it has helped me a lot to train my ear.

Shahi

Champion Member
Oct 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-04-2010
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
15-02-2011 CSQ
AOR Received.
25-05-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with Initial Application
File Transfer...
25-02-2011
Med's Request
13-03-2011
Med's Done....
14-03-2011
Interview........
NR
Passport Req..
13-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2011
LANDED..........
30-05-2011
Hey Amgra..

From your first hand experience ..i m very happy to know..that Quebec authorities take very good care of the new immigrants...as they promise before..i hope i get through the interview!!

Shahi