+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRS of 459, NOC 2147 currently based in India: Eligible for tech draws and recently received Canadian job offer. What implications would be on my PR?

RohanKumar007

Star Member
Apr 16, 2021
Hi I recently received a job offer from Canada (Ottawa) and wanted to know what would be the implication on my express entry profile. My score is 459 and due to my NOC 2147 I am eligible for Ontario Tech draws. I am currently based in India.

So I have few questions :

1. Since normal draws are not applicable right now, I think having a job in Canada won't give me any advantage?
  2. It seems I might have to update my express entry profile, but is it after my offer is approved by LMIA?
    1. Since as my score touches 500+, I won't be eligible Ontario tech draws
  3. Does anyone knows what's the timeline of getting Canadian work permit? I have PhD and Masters offers for Spring 2022 so just considering them too.
  4. Does having parallel work visa and Express entry process in conflict with each other.

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi I recently received a job offer from Canada (Ottawa) and wanted to know what would be the implication on my express entry profile. My score is 459 and due to my NOC 2147 I am eligible for Ontario Tech draws. I am currently based in India.

1. Since normal draws are not applicable right now, I think having a job in Canada won't give me any advantage?
  2. It seems I might have to update my express entry profile, but is it after my offer is approved by LMIA?
  3. Does anyone knows what's the timeline of getting Canadian work permit? I have PhD and Masters offers for Spring 2022 so just considering them too.
  4. Does having parallel work visa and Express entry process in conflict with each other.

Thank you
1. No benefit unless you have a LMIA.
2. If you get a nomination before LMIA, your score remains the same.
3. Has LMIA process started? Not sure what education has to do with it since you have not graduated and your CRS score would not reflect that.
4. No.

RohanKumar007

Star Member
Apr 16, 2021
1. No benefit unless you have a LMIA.
2. If you get a nomination before LMIA, your score remains the same.
3. Has LMIA process started? Not sure what education has to do with it since you have not graduated and your CRS score would not reflect that.
4. No.
Hi, thanks for the reply. LMIA process hasn't started as I just got my official offer today. No education has nothing to do with LMIA in step 3. I completed my masters 7 years back and have been working since then in same field (NOC 2147) of my masters and bachelors. Another Masters or PhD was just a backup as I returned from US to India due to some personal reasons and now desperate to leave.
Actually someone told that work permit is taking more than one year, and have heard some stories where companies ask people to work from India from time being and later refuse to call to Canada.

Reactions: Lc4life

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, thanks for the reply. LMIA process hasn't started as I just got my official offer today. No education has nothing to do with LMIA in step 3. I completed my masters 7 years back and have been working since then in same field (NOC 2147) of my masters and bachelors. Another Masters or PhD was just a backup as I returned from US to India due to some personal reasons and now desperate to leave.
Actually someone told that work permit is taking more than one year, and have heard some stories where companies ask people to work from India from time being and later refuse to call to Canada.
If the LMIA process has not started then you need to wait for the company to file. There is nothing you can do until they have the LMIA. LMIA can take months to process unless under Global Skills Strategy Program. Many people from India are working remotely for Canadian companies. And there is no reason for many companies to have these employees come to Canada because of remote work. If you have a PhD then you will need a ECA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lc4life

Lc4life

Aug 9, 2021

Thank you
tech draw has been on hold since April. Might be that way till the end of year.

tjsecondtry

May 11, 2017
If you are going for the extra points of a Canadian master's make sure you read the rules of the specific way it will help you. I got a Canadian master's to be eligible for OINP. I remember reading somewhere along the way that if the master's was part of the way on a PhD program, you had to wait until the PhD was complete to be eligible. When I started applying for OINP in 2019, it didn't add the points to express entry. Instead, I applied for PR in a separate paper process that took 2 years.

It was the only way I could qualify, so it was what it was. Just make sure you understand the relationship to express entry.

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
if you are having such questions about your company then its probably a scam company. how much did you pay them? canadian companies usually dont hire outsiders unless they are in canada and have a PR.

RohanKumar007

Star Member
Apr 16, 2021
if you are having such questions about your company then its probably a scam company. how much did you pay them? canadian companies usually dont hire outsiders unless they are in canada and have a PR.
It's not a scam company, I know this company as it is from my work domain. I saw the job posting on LinkedIn, I applied on their official website. I applied for 10 profiles in Canada, 2 of them contacted me. One of them said they do sponsor work permits but since timelines are bad due to COVID, they want someone who can start in 3 months. This was the second company and they were willing to wait. They have a parallel team in California, so they are considering to temporarily relocate me there as I already have H-1B.

They have even released me an offer for Ottawa after taking 8 rounds of interview spanning around 7.5 hours. They are paying me base of 180,000 CAD, international relocation of 20k CAD. No scam company pays that much. In fact, I used to get direct messages from recruiters of companies like Ericsson and Xilinx for their locations in Europe and once a startup in Australia. Obviously lot has gone in cold since COVID came and immigration became a pain. But for Indian location, I regularly get contacted by recruiters and HR on LinkedIn from many companies ( Apple, Intel and NVIDIA being some well known companies) as there is no visa restrictions there.

I am not a regular software/IT guy, my specialization is in Digital Signal Processing and Wireless communication. I have my master's from one of the top 10 universities in US and have 7+ years of experience at top companies in US Headquarters and Indian offices. Not trying to exaggerate but that's my profile and it's not too common to find people with this experience outside US. The only reason I came to India was because of my parents.

Also, the people I mentioned, one is friend of my friend and other on anonymous forums. One had job in AMD and One had offer from Amazon Canada which later refused to send them to Canada. Both are fairly reputed companies, if you google.

Last edited:

RohanKumar007

Star Member
Apr 16, 2021
If you are going for the extra points of a Canadian master's make sure you read the rules of the specific way it will help you. I got a Canadian master's to be eligible for OINP. I remember reading somewhere along the way that if the master's was part of the way on a PhD program, you had to wait until the PhD was complete to be eligible. When I started applying for OINP in 2019, it didn't add the points to express entry. Instead, I applied for PR in a separate paper process that took 2 years.

It was the only way I could qualify, so it was what it was. Just make sure you understand the relationship to express entry.
Thanks for the insight. No I am going to Canada because I am tired of India. I have spent 8+ years of my life in US and came to India thinking I can be closer to parents and can adjust to India. But if anything I have become depressed in here, and just looking for an escape route. I can go to US, but in US getting PR is long process and I want to settle now, given since my family is in India. I might have to travel back anytime they need me.

Since Tech draw and this uncertain waiting time for PR, I thought in the meantime I can go as student. But since you mentioned the complications, I am reconsidering it. The only thing which worries me if I get stuck in India in the worst case. I have heard of few people in Amazon and AMD who were offered positions in Canada, visa was taking longer then there was some internal re-structuring or god knows what, the company refused to send them to Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjsecondtry

roy1947

Star Member
Oct 8, 2015
Thanks for the insight. No I am going to Canada because I am tired of India. I have spent 8+ years of my life in US and came to India thinking I can be closer to parents and can adjust to India. But if anything I have become depressed in here, and just looking for an escape route. I can go to US, but in US getting PR is long process and I want to settle now, given since my family is in India. I might have to travel back anytime they need me.

Since Tech draw and this uncertain waiting time for PR, I thought in the meantime I can go as student. But since you mentioned the complications, I am reconsidering it. The only thing which worries me if I get stuck in India in the worst case. I have heard of few people in Amazon and AMD who were offered positions in Canada, visa was taking longer then there was some internal re-structuring or god knows what, the company refused to send them to Canada.
Maybe you can join a US company in India and then get an internal transfer to US on L1.

RohanKumar007

Star Member
Apr 16, 2021
Maybe you can join a US company in India and then get an internal transfer to US on L1.
Well I would move to US on H-1B rather than L-1 since I already have H-1. I am not interested in US due to the immigration condition over there as I prefer being a free man. I am still in touch in past manager, most likely he would re-hire me if he says so. Most likely because he knows about my Canada plan and he and HR has given me letter for Canada (as well as college applications). Anyway, if I have to get job in US, I would directly go there (I also have B1/B2 visa) and apply there directly rather than going around with company in India.

I am planning quick entry/exit when I want to visit my family in India I can do it, at least twice a year and they would visit me once a year (summer). This was something we were doing even when I was in US. I know one can argue about COVID restrictions but I am being optimistic that it might subside to manageable level in next 2 years.

Last edited: