+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRS 486, PGWP expiring Jan 5, 2023! Questions regarding BOWP?

JakeGittes

Mar 16, 2020
My CRS is 486 and Open work permit expiring on 5 Jan. I have applied for the public policy for PGWP extension (even though I was not eligible) by explaining my case. I have few questions regarding my situation. If anyone can provide any unput that'd be much appreciated.
  • As I have applied for PGWP extension, have I maintained my status (I have some friends who bought their time this way; they were considered on implied status until they get rejected and before they got rejected, they got an ITA and their application was approved as well without any hiccups.)
  • Assuming I get a Visitor record before my PGWP expires and stop working. And if I get an ITA within the 90 days of my PGWP expiration, will I be eligible to apply for a BOWP on a visitor status? (Eligibility requirement for BOWP is kind of tricky as I think I would still be "be eligible to restore your status and get a work permit"
At this point, I think I am out of options. I have even considered of applying for a study permit in order to maintain my status but I am really not sure.

Would anyone be able to help me out with my situation?

Thank you so much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have the same questions. Are we eligible for BOWP while on Visitor Record?
You need to be holding a valid work permit to be eligible for a BOWP.

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
You need to be holding a valid work permit to be eligible for a BOWP.
So what's the point for some people to apply for VR before PGWP expires? just to stay in Canada but not be able to work?

Also, if I get ITA and apply for PR while on Visitor Record, does that mean I won't be able to work the entire time waiting for PR to be approved?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So what's the point for some people to apply for VR before PGWP expires? just to stay in Canada but not be able to work?

Also, if I get ITA and apply for PR while on Visitor Record, does that mean I won't be able to work the entire time waiting for PR to be approved?
Yes, some people are doing that in order to be able to remain in Canada.

If you get ITA ad apply for PR while on a visitor record, you won't be able to work through a BOWP. Your options will be to wait until PR is approved or alternatively to try to secure an LMIA supported job offer so that you can apply for a closed work permit.

How many points do you have?

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Yes, some people are doing that in order to be able to remain in Canada.

If you get ITA ad apply for PR while on a visitor record, you won't be able to work through a BOWP. Your options will be to wait until PR is approved or alternatively to try to secure an LMIA supported job offer so that you can apply for a closed work permit.

How many points do you have?
I have 471 and PGWP expires in 2 months. I probably won't get ITA until spring or summer. So I'm considering 2 options:

1: Apply for Visitor Record. But as you said, I won't be able to work the entire time until PR is approved. So.. what's the point of doing that... Go home and apply from abroad? Does outland CEC work exactly the same as inland?

2: Apply for PGWP extension and get a maintained status, even though will be rejected. So I hope during the few months on maintained status, I will get ITA, apply, get AOR, and then apply for BOWP... Is this option possible?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have 471 and PGWP expires in 2 months. I probably won't get ITA until spring or summer. So I'm considering 2 options:

1: Apply for Visitor Record. But as you said, I won't be able to work the entire time until PR is approved. So.. what's the point of doing that... Go home and apply from abroad? Does outland CEC work exactly the same as inland?

2: Apply for PGWP extension and get a maintained status, even though will be rejected. So I hope during the few months on maintained status, I will get ITA, apply, get AOR, and then apply for BOWP... Is this option possible?
So I personally don't think you should count on getting ITA through Express Entry with that score. If I were in your shoes, I would be very actively looking into the PNP programs.

Yes, you can return to your home country while a CEC application is processed. However I really think you should explore other options and not assume you'll get ITA under CEC.

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
So I personally don't think you should count on getting ITA through Express Entry with that score. If I were in your shoes, I would be very actively looking into the PNP programs.

Yes, you can return to your home country while a CEC application is processed. However I really think you should explore other options and not assume you'll get ITA under CEC.
I looked into PNP, but none seems to match my circumstances. I went to school and live in Alberta, but my 1-year work experience was gained remotely in Ontario. I'm currently not working. Alberta PNP prefers people with Alberta experience. I only have 2 months left, which is not possible to gain. Ontario PNPs are mostly job offer based, which I don't have.

But I do have a question: My 1-year Canadian experience was from March 2021 to April 2022. If I go home, Do I still have until March 2024 to claim that experience and apply? Because my understanding is that it's a valid experience if it's within the past 3 years. So suppose the score will be dropping, and I get an ITA in January 2024, can I still apply for PR by March 2024 in my home country?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I looked into PNP, but none seems to match my circumstances. I went to school and live in Alberta, but my 1-year work experience was gained remotely in Ontario. I'm currently not working. Alberta PNP prefers people with Alberta experience. I only have 2 months left, which is not possible to gain. Ontario PNPs are mostly job offer based, which I don't have.

But I do have a question: My 1-year Canadian experience was from March 2021 to April 2022. If I go home, Do I still have until March 2024 to claim that experience and apply? Because my understanding is that it's a valid experience if it's within the past 3 years. So suppose the score will be dropping, and I get an ITA in January 2024, can I still apply for PR by March 2024 in my home country?
I see. Are there ways for you to increase your score?

And yes, your understanding of the 1 year of work experience for CEC is correct. It has to all fall within the previous 3 years from the time your completed application is received.

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I see. Are there ways for you to increase your score?

And yes, your understanding of the 1 year of work experience for CEC is correct. It has to all fall within the previous 3 years from the time your completed application is received.
The only way I'm aware of is to increase my IELTS score. Because I have only 2 months left, it's not possible to gain any more Canadian experience. Also, after my birthday my score will drop by 5 due to aging this year. I couldn't find any PNPs that I qualify, since I reside in Alberta but work experience was gained in Ontario. Do you know any options that I overlooked?

But As you said, if I can still claim my experience until March 2024, do you think I still have hope of getting ITA by then?... 471 used to be a decent score, so I can only wish the score will drop over the next 12 months so I can get an ITA....

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The only way I'm aware of is to increase my IELTS score. Because I have only 2 months left, it's not possible to gain any more Canadian experience. Also, after my birthday my score will drop by 5 due to aging this year. I couldn't find any PNPs that I qualify, since I reside in Alberta but work experience was gained in Ontario. Do you know any options that I overlooked?

But As you said, if I can still claim my experience until March 2024, do you think I still have hope of getting ITA by then?... 471 used to be a decent score, so I can only wish the score will drop over the next 12 months so I can get an ITA....
It's just my opinion, but I think it's dangerous just to assume you'll get ITA under CEC. The short answer is that there's absolutely no guarantee that will in fact happen. If your priority is to get PR, then you should be taking active action to increase your score and explore other options.

Rewrite IELTS to max out your score. You can also learn French. I don't know your level of education but typically there's an opportunity to further increase your score there as well.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020

You can try to look for someone to hire you in Alberta and then apply for LMIA. As @scylla said you need to do active action to increase your score.
I believe outland takes a while to process as compared to inland. Alberta PNP is compartively fast if inland.

t6e4m8

Star Member
Aug 3, 2019
Alberta, Canada

Hi.
May I know why you think a score of 471 has no chance of getting ITA?

Here’s my calculation: The cutoff score is 490 for the last draw. Right now there are about 32000 candidates between 471 and 490 according to the CRS distribution. IRCC conducts 2 draws per month, around 3300 ITAs per draw. So it’ll take about 10-13 draws until it’s my turn. That’s about 6 months. My work experience is valid until March 2024. So in my opinion, I have more than enough time to wait until the score drops to 471 before my work experience expires.

Am I missing something?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi.
May I know why you think a score of 471 has no chance of getting ITA?

Here’s my calculation: The cutoff score is 490 for the last draw. Right now there are about 32000 candidates between 471 and 490 according to the CRS distribution. IRCC conducts 2 draws per month, around 3300 ITAs per draw. So it’ll take about 10-13 draws until it’s my turn. That’s about 6 months. My work experience is valid until March 2024. So in my opinion, I have more than enough time to wait until the score drops to 471 before my work experience expires.

Am I missing something?
The pool isn't static. New people with high scores join all of the time. Your calculation doesn't really take this into consideration. Also, we are all waiting for IRCC to introduce the occupation specific draws (IRCC announced last year that they are going in this direction). No one knows what that's going to mean and how the draws will work. So this is another unknown that is expected to come shortly.

Your choice what you do of course.