+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing the border with children, plus elderly relative with dementia

DaiWelsh

Jun 5, 2015
So my wife is a Canadian Citizen as are my three children (11,6,6). My Father-in-Law has got PR and is 92 with mild dementia - he gets forgetful and confused some of the time, particularly when tired or stressed. I will be entering on dual intent with a spousal PR application in progress. We will all be arriving by air together.

We are concerned that one of us needs to be with FIL when he goes through the CBSA check if possible and ofc one of us will need to be with the children. Does the whole party get processed as a group or will they divide us up and if so how is the division done? Will I have to go through separately as I am not Canadian Citizen? Do we need to notify them in advance of my FIL condition so that we get special treatment (e.g. to allow one of us to accompany him)? Do we have any say over who goes through with whom or do we just have to do as we are told?

We have Power of Attorney for my FIL in UK and are looking into what is required to get it "ratified" or whatever the correct term is in Canada but I imagine that will not be done until after we land. On a good day he may sail through with perfect lucidity but on a bad day he may not even understand the questions and may become unco-operative unless we are with him to reassure him.

Any advice or experiences welcomed.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Just go through the citizen/PR line together. There should be no issues. CBSA is not going to make you split up or leave your FIL alone. Carry the Power of Attorney forms just in case you're asked.

DaiWelsh

Jun 5, 2015
Thanks, that is reassuring. I was hoping (common sense rule) that we would be processed as a group but having not crossed a border since 9/11 I don't have any first hand experience of just how strict it can be.