+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

crossing over to Canada by land with an expired PR card

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
Hi all, Anyone has the experience of crossing over to Canada by land with an expired PR card?! Please share your experience and the type of documents w=you were required to submit. Thanks

basharar

Nov 5, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Should be no problem, don't panic, just have your original landing document. The pr card does not represent your statuses in canada, you just need 2 of the past 5 years to maintain your status.

egyo

Apr 24, 2012
I just want to see if anyone from non-exempt visa country had this experience of crossing the border by land with an expired card!!

OKK

Jun 22, 2013
If you are a PR of Canada, you need to show your PR card if using a commercial mode of transport. If you are driving across the border from US in your own car or a rented car, you do not have to show your PR card..but they will still need to see a student visa, work visa, business visa or the COPR, IM5292 attached to your passport if you claim to be PR.

Are you visa exempt to enter Canada, if yes, you can arrive with your landing papers and expired PR card and see what they say. If they ask you if you meet the residency requirements and you say no, you get to enter Canada but they could decide to report you for not meeting them in which case you would have to appeal to keep your PR within 30 days. If they don't report you, you can enter Canada, stay for a full 2 years without leaving, apply for a new PR card and you are good.

If you are not visa exempt, you need to apply for a travel document. At that point, the embassy will decide if you keep your PR or not. If not, you have the option of applying for a work permit.

Frequently Asked Questions on Permanent Residents outside Canada

Who is considered a permanent resident (PR) of Canada?
Can I travel to Canada with an expired PR Card?
Can I travel to Canada with a photocopy of my PR Card?
Can I re-enter Canada using a Record of Landing (IMM 1000)/Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR-IMM 5292)/Returning Resident Permit?
How do I keep my PR status?
How do I calculate my number of days present in Canada?
I have been a permanent resident (PR) for less than five years. How will my five-year period be calculated?
I do not meet the residency status but I have a valid PR Card. Will I be able to enter Canada and resume my PR status?
How do I submit my application?
Do I need someone to help me prepare my PRTD application?
When should I apply?
What happens if I do not meet the residency requirements?
I got my PRTD. What happens next?
How long is my PRTD valid for?
I am travelling to Canada for an appeal hearing what documents must I provide

1. Who is considered as a permanent resident (PR) of Canada?

A PR is a person who has entered Canada on an immigrant visa. You are considered a PR on the date you first arrived in Canada as an immigrant. To be considered as a PR, you must have met the residency requirements under section 28 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.

Top of page

2. Can I travel to Canada with an expired Permanent Resident (PR) card?

No, you cannot travel to Canada with an expired PR Card. If your PR card is no longer valid and you wish to travel to Canada, you must apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) at the Canadian Visa Office responsible for your country of citizenship or the country in which you have been legally admitted. If it has been determined that you meet the residency obligations, you will be provided with the travel document that will facilitate your entry to Canada.

If you have been lawfully admitted to the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and Yemen as visitor or as a resident, you may apply for a PRTD in our office.

Top of page

3. Can I travel to Canada with a photocopy of my Permanent Resident (PR) Card?

No, you cannot travel to Canada with a photocopy of your PR card. You must have your original PR Card with you. If you are not in possession of your original PR Card, you must apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) at the Canadian Visa Office responsible for determining whether or not your meet the residency obligations required in order to maintain your PR status. If it has been determined that you meet the residency obligations, you will be provided with the travel document that will facilitate your entry to Canada.

If you have been lawfully admitted to the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and Yemen as visitor or as a resident, you may apply for a PRTD in our office.

Top of page

4. Can I re-enter Canada using a Record of Landing (IMM 1000)/Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR-IMM 5292)/Returning Resident Permit?

No, you cannot re-enter Canada using a Record of Landing (IMM 1000), Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR-IMM 5292) and a Returning Resident Permit. These documents are not valid for travel back to Canada. You require a valid PR card or a valid permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to re-enter Canada by train, plane, boat or bus.

Top of page

5. How do I calculate the number of days I was present in Canada?

Please read our Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) Application Guide.

Top of page

6. I have been a permanent resident (PR) for less than five years. How will my five-year period be calculated?

If it has been less than five years since you became a permanent resident of Canada, the five-year period will be calculated from the date of your landing, and the officer will consider whether it is possible that you could accumulate 730 days before the end of that five-year period.

For example, if you became a PR on 01 June 2003, spent sixty days in Canada, and wish to return to Canada on 01 February 2004, you will meet the residency criterion: your five-year period ends on 31 May 2008. You have already accumulated 60 days in Canada, and between 01 February 2004 and 31 May 2008, you will be able to accumulate the 670 days you require. On the other hand, if you became a PR on 01 June 2000, spent 30 days in Canada, and now wish to return, you will not meet the criterion: you still require 700 days, and it is not possible for you to acquire these in the time remaining before your five-year period expires on 31 May 2005.

Top of page

7. How do I keep my Permanent Resident (PR) status?

To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days (not necessarily consecutive days) within the five years following the date on which you were granted permanent resident status. In some cases, you may accumulate residency days while outside Canada. For further information, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website at www.cic.gc.ca.

Top of page

8. I do not meet the residency requirements but I have a valid Permanent Resident (PR) Card. Will I be able to enter Canada and resume my PR status?

Yes, you may enter Canada with your valid PR Card. However, the port of entry (POE) officer is authorized to examine you for compliance with residency obligations and initiate enforcement action should it be deemed appropriate. An assessment of whether or not you meet the residency requirements will also be made when you apply for a PR Card renewal. If you do not meet the requirements, you may be asked to leave Canada.

Top of page

9. How do I submit my application?

Please visit the “How to submit” page for more information regarding how to submit an application for a PRTD.

Top of page

10. Do I need someone to help me prepare my Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) Application?

You may prepare and submit your application yourself, or you may ask for help from family members, friends, non-governmental and religious organizations or others free of charge. You may also choose to hire an authorized representative. An authorized representative must be either: immigration consultant who is a member of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants; lawyer who is a member of a Canadian law society; or notary who is a member of the Chambre des notaires du Québec.

All applicants are treated equally, regardless of whether you prepared the documents yourself or through a third party.

You, as the applicant, are responsible for all information submitted. Please be sure to review all the information on your application form and ensure that all questions are answered truthfully before signing and dating the forms.

Please note that all persons who assist in the preparation of Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) applications must be identified in the questionnaire. If you are authorizing the release of your file information to an authorized representative, the person must be identified on form IMM 5476B.

Top of page

11. When should I apply?

You should submit your application not more than one (1) month before the date of your proposed trip. A Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) issued in Abu Dhabi is valid 30 days. It cannot be extended and cannot be used for multiple entries. To see our processing times for PRTDs, please visit the Average Processing Times page.

Top of page

12. What happens if I do not meet the residency requirements?

You will receive a refusal letter explaining the reason(s) for refusal and the procedures for appeal. If you do not appeal the decision within 60 days, you will no longer be a PR of Canada.

Top of page

13. I got my Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD). What happens next?

Once in Canada, you should apply for a permanent resident (PR) card. Unlike the travel document, the PR card allows you to enter Canada multiple times without having to apply for a travel document each time. The application kit Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (IMM 5445) is available on www.cic.gc.ca or, if you are in Canada, you can call the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Call Centre at 1-888-242-2100 (toll-free).

Top of page

14. How long is my Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) valid for?

A PRTD is valid for 30 days from the date of its issuance. It cannot be extended nor can it be used for multiple entry to Canada. You must arrive in Canada on or before the expiry period which is read “DAY/MONTH/YEAR” (DD/MM/YYYY).

For example, the expiry date on your travel document is 02/05/2008. You MUST enter Canada on or before May 2, 2008.

If your PRTD was not used within the validity period and you still would like to travel to Canada, you must submit a new application for a PRTD and a new assessment will be done by the Visa Officer.

Top of page

15. I am travelling to Canada for an appeal hearing what documents must I provide?

In order for our office to issue you a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) to allow you to attend your appeal hearing, you must submit the following documents to the Immigration Section of the Canadian Embassy in Abu Dhabi:

A copy of the Immigration Appeal Division's (IAD) letter indicating that you are requested to appear in person in Canada to attend an appeal hearing; and
Your valid passport.
Please note: You do not need to submit a new PRTD application and do not need to pay additional processing fees.

Mona_Barca

Star Member
Mar 31, 2010
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okk –
The answer to question 2 is not in line with what have been stated in the CIC website. You can enter Canada with an expired PR, please review below:

I am outside of Canada and do not have a PR card. How can I return to Canada?
We do not mail permanent resident cards (PR cards) to addresses outside Canada. Please choose the option below that describes your case.
If your card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you need to tell CIC.
You may also need a passport to re-enter Canada. Please see the Canadian Border Services Agency website for what documents you will need at the border.
If you plan to return in a commercial vehicle, like a plane or bus
If you plan to return to Canada in a commercial vehicle — such as a plane, train, boat or bus — you must apply for a travel document at a visa office outside Canada before you return to Canada.
You should also check with the commercial operator (for example, the airline or bus company you will be using) to see what documents they need.
If you return in a private vehicle, like your own car
If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, you do not need a permanent resident card. You can use your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) instead.
You would have been given these documents:
• If you applied from overseas: at the same time as your visa
• If you applied from within Canada: when you landed at your local visa office
An officer will ask you questions to make sure you meet all of the residency requirements before they allow you to come back to Canada.
When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again