+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing into a province other than the one that sponsored me - problems?

TheMaze

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
I had applied to EE via Ontario's PNIP program while living in the US. The process took significantly longer than I expected, and I ended up moving to Ontario and working for a job on a NAFTA visa for about a year. During that year, I realized the job wasn't a good fit for me and I ended up leaving it and moving back to the US for another job. After returning to the US, I finally was approved and received my border-crossing paperwork. It's now approaching the 1-year deadline to cross the border and get my PR card.

The issue is I'm living on the US west coast, and it's significantly easier/cheaper for me to cross into BC than it would be to book a flight to Ontario and back for this. How likely am I to have trouble crossing into BC given that Ontario sponsored me? I can provide them an address in ON to mail the card to, and Ontario is where I intend to live. Does the fact that I lived/worked there carry any weight? Should I expect this to go smoothly? Not even bother trying? Try it with the backup plan of going to Ontario?