+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing Detroit-Windsor border with study permit


Full Member
May 26, 2017

My study visa for Canada has recently been approved. I am currently in the USA on a non-immigrant visa and planning to drive to Canada. This is the first time I will be going to Canada. I have few questions:

Can I go to Canada by road from Detroit_Windsor border on my study visa? Is there any time restrictions or is it open 24 hours? I have heard there are some time restrictions on the rainbow bridge.

I am planning to take a rental car from USA to Canada. Could there be any issues at crossing the border in a rental car?

At some sites, it is mentioned to declare goods on CBSA declaration form that is imported. I look at that form, but it seems that form is for immigrants. I will be going on a non-immigrant visa so are there separate forms?

I will greatly appreciate your response.