+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing Canada-US border with CoPR

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
I know this question has been asked several times and the general consensus is that you can cross the Canada-US land border in a private vehicle with just your passport and CoPR.

But I wanted to find something official I could refer to if I encountered any difficulties when returning to Canada (I don't have PR card yet). The IRCC list of other documents you can use is here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html. The problem is that, unless I am missing something, CoPR is not mentioned.

Does anyone know of anything official that I can refer to if needed?

And, incidentally, I thought of stopping off at the border before leaving Canada to confirm the position with IRCC. Does anyone know if I can do this from the Canada side? You only really get exposure to US immigration on the way out.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I know this question has been asked several times and the general consensus is that you can cross the Canada-US land border in a private vehicle with just your passport and CoPR.

But I wanted to find something official I could refer to if I encountered any difficulties when returning to Canada (I don't have PR card yet). The IRCC list of other documents you can use is here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html. The problem is that, unless I am missing something, CoPR is not mentioned.

Does anyone know of anything official that I can refer to if needed?

And, incidentally, I thought of stopping off at the border before leaving Canada to confirm the position with IRCC. Does anyone know if I can do this from the Canada side? You only really get exposure to US immigration on the way out.

Thanks
It is not a consensus. It is the rule. You do not need a valid PR card to enter Canada. You won't need anything official. Your COPR is sufficient and there is no need to stop and confirm with CBSA.

Reactions: cansha

bairn7

Feb 27, 2015
Stopping to confirm is more for my peace of mind, since I cannot find anything official which states the rule. I want to have an officer I can reference.

Pranjali1728

Jul 10, 2022
Hi bairn7

I am planning to travel outside Canada, while i am still waiting on my PR card. I will be re-entering Canada from Canada-US land border in a private vehicle
Could you please confirm to me if you were able to enter back to Canada from US with COPR & passport.

Thanks in advance!