+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing Canada by land during Covid - April 2021

Wander!ust

Apr 23, 2021
Hello peeps,

Now that direct flights are suspended from India to Canada and also with UAE suspension, I have cancelled my ticket for a refund. I'm now planning to travel Buffalo, NY and take a Covid test there while I wait at Airport or at a motel for the results and then taxi to Toronto. That way I can save on hotel quarantine but will still have to quarantine at home for 14 days.

Has anybody here already done this gig?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello peeps,

Now that direct flights are suspended from India to Canada and also with UAE suspension, I have cancelled my ticket for a refund. I'm now planning to travel Buffalo, NY and take a Covid test there while I wait at Airport or at a motel for the results and then taxi to Toronto. That way I can save on hotel quarantine but will still have to quarantine at home for 14 days.

I think this is feasible as long as you move quickly on flying to the US to head off any travel ban there.

Wander!ust

Apr 23, 2021
I think this is feasible as long as you move quickly on flying to the US to head off any travel ban there.
IKR! That's what I plan to do now. I just thought I'll take feedback from people who already did this. But yea, I think I'll cross over and post my feedback later lol.

Divyashree14

Mar 6, 2019
Hello peeps,

Hi,
Was your COPR issued after March 2020?

shaikraza

Apr 23, 2021
Did you mean if I'm a PR? No I'm not. I'm traveling to Canada as an International Student. I think there's a separate forum for PRs here.
hey !
I'm in the exact same position you are in. I have a valid US visa and planning to go to Detroit and later go to Canada from there. What have you decided ? Did you find any reasonable flight prices ? Which city are you flying from in India ?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello peeps,

Most likely US will impose ban for flight from India soon. US borders are aware of the ban for travellers from India, and CBSA enforces the ban. As a foreign national, will have to be prepared with two border agencies who are aware of your intention, and they have broad power to deny entry.
Canada is also evaluative border control measures specific with this loophole and In light of the new ban. Flights to Buffalo are in high demand so is taxi service.

Wander!ust

Apr 23, 2021
Most likely US will impose ban for flight from India soon. US borders are aware of the ban for travellers from India, and CBSA enforces the ban. As a foreign national, will have to be prepared with two border agencies who are aware of your intention, and they have broad power to deny entry.
Canada is also evaluative border control measures specific with this loophole and In light of the new ban. Flights to Buffalo are in high demand so is taxi service.
I don't expect a suspension order from US. Even if they did, then that would be on direct flights most likely. And one can still fly to Canada but not directly. So I don't understand what you mean by "US is aware of ban for travelers from India"

And there is no loophole. My friends and relatives have crossed the border after landing in Buffalo but that was last month. It was the federal policy for crossing by land since the restrictions were put in place way back. Loophole is getting away with the law by exploiting it. But here I'm using the federal policy for land crossers to get into Canada and avoid hotel quarantine.

Wander!ust

Apr 23, 2021
hey !
I'm in the exact same position you are in. I have a valid US visa and planning to go to Detroit and later go to Canada from there. What have you decided ? Did you find any reasonable flight prices ? Which city are you flying from in India ?
I haven't decided on the flight yet. But will do it in a day or two.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I don't expect a suspension order from US. Even if they did, then that would be on direct flights most likely. And one can still fly to Canada but not directly. So I don't understand what you mean by "US is aware of ban for travelers from India"

And there is no loophole. My friends and relatives have crossed the border after landing in Buffalo but that was last month. It was the federal policy for crossing by land since the restrictions were put in place way back. Loophole is getting away with the law by exploiting it. But here I'm using the federal policy for land crossers to get into Canada and avoid hotel quarantine.
I think they will issue suspension soon. CDC has issued Level 4 Health Alert from travellers to and from India on April 21, which is red alert. Whether on direct flight only or including passengers transiting through other countries is up to the US Authority. With countries moving to that direction, odds are high. I dont know why you say you dont expect that from the US

you misunderstood my point about the loophole, there is nothing illegal coming through buffalo by foot but there is growing attention on this file at the moment. CBC has article covered on this route today and Health Canada are evaluating border measures. Loophole is not necessarily illegal, but area which is not covered by some regulation and is not getting away with the law by exploiting it. It is ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.
Finally, yes decision to enter as land crosser from the US is yours.

Wander!ust

Apr 23, 2021
I think they will issue suspension soon. CDC has issued Level 4 Health Alert from travellers to and from India on April 21, which is red alert. Whether on direct flight only or including passengers transiting through other countries is up to the US Authority. With countries moving to that direction, odds are high. I dont know why you say you dont expect that from the US

you misunderstood my point about the loophole, there is nothing illegal coming through buffalo by foot but there is growing attention on this file at the moment. CBC has article covered on this route today and Health Canada are evaluating border measures. Loophole is not necessarily illegal, but area which is not covered by some regulation and is not getting away with the law by exploiting it. It is ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.
Finally, yes decision to enter as land crosser from the US is yours.
I know. And I don't mean US might not suspend flights, it's just that International Decisions have political ramifications for example including Pakistan in 30 day suspension list just because India was added. But anyhow odds are not good for travelers. But I have visa for most of the popular destinations so I'll take the indirect flight to Canada anytime. But I know I'll be doing Newark-Buffalo-Toronto lol

And no, CBC and other media houses have been reporting about the land crossing from the day 1 the restrictions were put in place. It's not just today.