+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing Canada Border to USA to renew Visitor's status?

shrok

Sep 8, 2018
sorry guys but your answers are so complicated.
he saied that he can not applying online for extension of visa.
just he needs to know is there anyone who has a visitor multiple visa and passing the border of canada to usa and then when he comes back to Canada, his visa being to be extended or not.
thats it thats all.
because multiple visa means that you can going out of the country ad then you can go back again to canda for next 6 month !
so...
he can go out of the country and go back again to canada for next 6 month.
its multiple visa and its not single.
in this way his visa should be going to be extended.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
just he needs to know is there anyone who has a visitor multiple visa and passing the border of canada to usa and then when he comes back to Canada, his visa being to be extended or not.
thats it thats all.
because multiple visa means that you can going out of the country ad then you can go back again to canda for next 6 month !
so...
Your post is very difficult to understand. Having a mutiple-entry visa does not in any way give a person the right to enter Canada. Entry is entirely up to CBSA at the border and they don't like people who try to live in Canada as visitors.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
thats it thats all.
so...
Sure a multiple entry visa means just that that an holder can travel to Canada multiple times for the validity of a visa. As with any visa it does not guarantee entry to Canada that is at the discretion of the CBSA officer at the border and they will be assessed afresh as visitor for purpose of visit, finance for a visit and so on. Worst case they could be given a specific record to enter but leave in a couple of weeks or even worse be refused entry which would be extreme and maybe unlikely..

So if someone has already been in Canada for 6 months as a visitor then it is usually expected that they go home for a period of time say 6 months before attempting to return to Canada else it could be considered they are trying to live in Canada and even be suspected of working illegally to support themselves, not saying that is the case here.

This is why there is the extend stay as visitor process, to apply from within Canada to extend a visit stay without leaving the country. Saying someone cannot apply online or even if available on paper would not be an acceptable excuse given the process is not exactly complicated.

So sure someone can cross into the US assuming they have a US visa , stay for a day or so and try crossing back.Not sure whether flagpoling would reduce the odds of approval or not but guess that could be considered.

If CBSA accept their reasons for coming back so soon as a genuine tourist/visitor then fine but this will likely only work the once so beyond that will need to return home for probably a similar period to the time spent in Canada.

Ultimately though of course all anyone can do here is to speculate, the decision is with CBSA but using the extending stay as a visitor process/form would be 100 percent easier to achieve especially as once application is in process the applicant is on implied status pending a decision plus no need to go anywhere or face CSBA.

Last edited:

oaw

Star Member
Jul 9, 2014
I have a similar scenario,
My parents are coming on Multiple entry visa, that will allow them to live here for 6 months.
They will arrive by March 1st week.
Visit USA by 1st week of May.
so i was thinking (May + 6 months = NOV). considering they will have re-entry in May
so why not I buy a return ticket for them from 1st March to 1st Nov. (instead of buy 6 months ticket March to August)

Now my worry is, will the CBSA will object to them in March that why they have return ticket of 8 months.

ykhehra1

May 1, 2014
Hi, My mom is on 2yr super visa stamped till April 12, 2019 (multiple entries valid till 2025). She re-enter Canada land border after 3days US visit on yesterday without any stamp by Canadian border officials (have an entry stamp from US officials).
So does it means that she have 6 more months (like regular TRV) froyesterdayay? Or she only allowed to stay in Canada till April 12 (as original super visa entry stamp), and she needs to apply for an extension if she wants to stay 6 more months?
Another question. Can she apply for regular 6mths visa extention while on super-visa? and if she can, do we still need to get her medical, biometrics and her financial standing from India (since it was me the sponsor who provided it for her super visa)?
And is we apply for her supervisa extention, do we need to get medical and biometrics prior to apply or after only if asked? Thanks

Last edited:

anushaji2010

Star Member
Nov 20, 2015
Oman
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-05-2018
AOR Received.
19-05-2018
Hi. My mom is in Canada on a visit visa since September 2019. Her six months are up in March 2020. We were planning to drive down to the US to meet my brother for about a week in such a way that, the timing coincides with my mother’s date to exit Canada. We all hold a valid US B2 visa. I have tried to ask around to consultants and lawyers about the possibility of a renewal of my mother’s Canadian visit visa for another 6 months, starting from Feb/March, but people say that it could be refused and she could get a ban too. She also has a return ticket to her home country for September 2020, by which she WILL leave Canada for sure. Would it suffice to show them her return ticket at the border and perhaps a letter from my brother in the US to let us drive down to the US? It’s not that she is going to be flagpoling, fyi. We intend to stay in the US for a week or two before driving back to Canada. Pls advice. TIA.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi. My mom is in Canada on a visit visa since September 2019. Her six months are up in March 2020. We were planning to drive down to the US to meet my brother for about a week in such a way that, the timing coincides with my mother’s date to exit Canada. We all hold a valid US B2 visa. I have tried to ask around to consultants and lawyers about the possibility of a renewal of my mother’s Canadian visit visa for another 6 months, starting from Feb/March, but people say that it could be refused and she could get a ban too. She also has a return ticket to her home country for September 2020, by which she WILL leave Canada for sure. Would it suffice to show them her return ticket at the border and perhaps a letter from my brother in the US to let us drive down to the US? It’s not that she is going to be flagpoling, fyi. We intend to stay in the US for a week or two before driving back to Canada. Pls advice. TIA.
Really up to the officer and your mom’s answers. But I see nothing wrong with your plan. Don’t offer information unless directly asked (don’t offer the ticket unless the officer explicitly asked for it, etc).

Reactions: anushaji2010