+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing Canada Border to USA to renew Visitor's status?

Dave01

Star Member
Feb 24, 2014
Mom was given 5 years Canada visitor’s visa but can only stay for 6 months at a time, She also have valid USA visa, Can we just drive her to the US border and maybe stay a night in US and then drive back the following day to renew her status for another 6 months? Kindly share your experience please as we really need her to stay more in Canada to help out with the kids while wife and I are away from home.

Thanks,

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As an alternative, why don't your mom make an application to extend her stay in Canada? I don't think back and forth to the US and Canada would renew her status for another 6 months.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Dave01 said:
Mom was given 5 years Canada visitor’s visa but can only stay for 6 months at a time, She also have valid USA visa, Can we just drive her to the US border and maybe stay a night in US and then drive back the following day to renew her status for another 6 months? Kindly share your experience please as we really need her to stay more in Canada to help out with the kids while wife and I are away from home.

Thanks,
This is the kind of thing that can be done, but depends on the border guard letting it happen. Do it once, and make sure that you have evidence that she'll go home eventually, show that she really does have ties in her own country but would like to stay a bit longer -- probably not too much trouble. Do it so she looks like she's living in Canada in an open-ended manner, sooner or later she'll get refused. My recommendation would be to figure out first when she is going home, collect the evidence that proves it, and explain to the border guard what's going on.

Why don't you apply for a super-visa for her?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I previously replied to this post that stupid as it might sound and depending on the CBSA officer getting a new visitor record on basis of looking after children in some cases could be considered work and not just temporarily visiting family. Sounds crazy but then again immigration is crazy sometimes in interpretation even if is a family member providing childcare could be interpreted as some longer term plan

Dave01

Star Member
Feb 24, 2014
steaky said:
As an alternative, why don't your mom make an application to extend her stay in Canada? I don't think back and forth to the US and Canada would renew her status for another 6 months.
Already did that once.. Thanks anyways.

Dave01

Star Member
Feb 24, 2014
nope said:
This is the kind of thing that can be done, but depends on the border guard letting it happen. Do it once, and make sure that you have evidence that she'll go home eventually, show that she really does have ties in her own country but would like to stay a bit longer -- probably not too much trouble. Do it so she looks like she's living in Canada in an open-ended manner, sooner or later she'll get refused. My recommendation would be to figure out first when she is going home, collect the evidence that proves it, and explain to the border guard what's going on.

Why don't you apply for a super-visa for her?
Can we apply for that while she's here in Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dave01 said:
Guys, any more help or info about this?

Thanks
A border run is risky. CBSA will know exactly what she is doing and there is a good chance that they will decide that she is trying to live in Canada as a visitor.

It is the better choice to apply to extend her stay online.

Lifeisagift

Nov 30, 2017
Just checking, how did you end up extending your Mom’s visitor record. In a similar situation.

Any one who has successfully crossed the border and gotten a visa extension. Your experience please!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Just checking, how did you end up extending your Mom’s visitor record. In a similar situation.

Any one who has successfully crossed the border and gotten a visa extension. Your experience please!!
As said above, it is less risky to apply online for an extension than it is to make a border run.

Lifeisagift

Nov 30, 2017
The application done to extend online wasn’t successfully stating that the application was sent late based on the dates of the stamps of last entry the application you sent in over a month before the 6months expiry.

so was advised to go to the border or do a restoration. Sent in a restoration application that and even requested a refund of my fee as I had done everything right and the reason for initial refusal was wrong . they just refused the application again now with no reason.

I’m in a fix now as I’m currently very ill and mom has to help with my care and that of the kids . I have a letter from my Dr so I’m thinking it might be better to go to the border and let the officer see me in my state and hopefully he sees reason why her re-entry should be granted.

Please I need your advice...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The application done to extend online wasn’t successfully stating that the application was sent late based on the dates of the stamps of last entry the application you sent in over a month before the 6months expiry.

so was advised to go to the border or do a restoration. Sent in a restoration application that and even requested a refund of my fee as I had done everything right and the reason for initial refusal was wrong . they just refused the application again now with no reason.

I’m in a fix now as I’m currently very ill and mom has to help with my care and that of the kids . I have a letter from my Dr so I’m thinking it might be better to go to the border and let the officer see me in my state and hopefully he sees reason why her re-entry should be granted.

Your post is confusing. Did your mother go out of status, apply for Restoration and was refused? If so, she needs to leave Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your post is confusing. Did your mother go out of status, apply for Restoration and was refused? If so, she needs to leave Canada.
Yeah - unfortunately I agree. If both the extension and restoration have been refused, a border run will end badly.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014

Sorry to hear about your illness, but if you have the ability to show up at the border, that's not going to sway the CBSA officer at all about your mother's status.

Lifeisagift

Nov 30, 2017
Let me put things in perspective.
Last entry was in Dec 2016 stamped at the airport from last visit making the 6months expiry in June 2017.

Previous visit record was meant to expire in April 2017 but as earlier stated Mum left the country and had a new stamp in December 2016 which then reset the 6months making expiry June 2017.

Application for extension sent in April which is about 2 months before expiry. The extension was refused stating that visit record had expired (the case worker must have just assumed that based on her previous visitor record which was April rather than the most recent stamp of the last entry in December 2016 - maybe an oversight. This Refusal was sent in August 2017 . Immediately I contact CIC and was told I could do a restoration of status or go to the border and do exit and come back in and I stated that the border was just too far, so we sent in a restoration application. I was not happy at all and even went ahead and requested that my restoration fee be refunded as the error was on the processing officer with the application that was sent in.

Now end of November 2017 the restoration application just rejected stating we believe you don’t meet the immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations Act.

Parents are meant to be able to spend time with there kids especially when the PR process now is just a Joke (random selection of application)

This is a quick overview. I’m just so confused right now.