+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing border just after midnight

Lolote

Star Member
May 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Crossing border back into Canada just after midnight - like 12:10 am.. does that count as 2 days away or 1 day away or a day trip?

thanks

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lolote said:
Crossing border back into Canada just after midnight - like 12:10 am.. does that count as 2 days away or 1 day away or a day trip?

thanks
If you leave one day at 11:00 PM and return at 12:10 AM next day, thats a one day trip. If you return same day at 11:50 PM, thats a same day trip, and doesnt count as an absence for citizenship application.

Lolote

Star Member
May 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you..

When I submitted my citizenship application back then, I did not include the days where I was crossing back just after midnight because they were all because of wait time at the border. Now I understand that I should have added them. I have compared my US entry file with my Canadian one and I guess I have about 20 of those over the last 4 years. I applied with over 150 days extra, so i am not worried I would be short of some days but how should I go about this? I have my test next week. Should I bring it up at the interview?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lolote said:
Thank you..

When I submitted my citizenship application back then, I did not include the days where I was crossing back just after midnight because they were all because of wait time at the border. Now I understand that I should have added them. I have compared my US entry file with my Canadian one and I guess I have about 20 of those over the last 4 years. I applied with over 150 days extra, so i am not worried I would be short of some days but how should I go about this? I have my test next week. Should I bring it up at the interview?
You made an honest mistake, I dont think it's a big deal though since you were actually returning the same day but ended up crossing next day, especially when you have 150 extra days. Explain it the way you told us if you are asked.

boltz

Jul 30, 2009
Lolote said:
Thank you..

You better have all records ( entry , exit) handy, along with your clear calculation. May be also have the correct residence calculator, so you can show what you want to say.

All the best.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
How about if you are on Canadian soil at 11:50 PM, but don't make it to the booth until 12:05 AM the next day, because there was a hockey game in Buffalo and the line was really long? :-\

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
links18 said:
How about if you are on Canadian soil at 11:50 PM, but don't make it to the booth until 12:05 AM the next day, because there was a hockey game in Buffalo and the line was really long? :-\
Doesn't matter where you are location wise, whether you were on the bridge waiting to enter Canada while you are physically outside US border.

Even though you were on the Canadian side boundary side waiting, you have not officially left US until Canada custom process your passport. You were in international territory per say.

It is no difference from you being in the international section of the airport awaiting flight transfer. You are in international territory.

The time your passport is submitted and processed is the official entrance time.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
Doesn't matter where you are location wise, whether you were on the bridge waiting to enter Canada while you are physically outside US border.

Even though you were on the Canadian side boundary side waiting, you have not officially left US until Canada custom process your passport. You were in international territory per say.

It is no difference from you being in the international section of the airport awaiting flight transfer. You are in international territory.

The time your passport is submitted and processed is the official entrance time.
That is not true. If you are crossing from the U.S. into Canada, at any given moment, you are either in the U.S. or in Canada. There is no other option.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
YorkFactory said:
That is not true. If you are crossing from the U.S. into Canada, at any given moment, you are either in the U.S. or in Canada. There is no other option.
So you are on the bridge walking between US and Canada. You change your mind after leaving the US border side and turned around halfway on the bridge.

Did you officially entered Canada? As far as Canada is concerned, you haven't entered Canada.

EDIT* I think when a Canadian or PR walks out on the bridge towards US, he/she is considered to be in Canada until they reaches US customs/border agents. Same applies in reverse.

Screech339

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
screech339 said:
So you are on the bridge walking between US and Canada. You change your mind after leaving the US border side and turned around halfway on the bridge.

Did you officially entered Canada? As far as Canada is concerned, you haven't entered Canada.

Screech339
Agreed. There are several places where you can be in no man's land (i.e. you are neither in Canada nor in the US). The Fort Erie border crossing for one. You exit one country and have to drive all the way across the bridge before you technically enter the other.

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about this scenario: your plane entered Canadian airspace at 10:00 pm, and touches down at 11:12 pm. By the time you disembark and get to passport control, it's past midnight.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
bambino said:
How about this scenario: your plane entered Canadian airspace at 10:00 pm, and touches down at 11:12 pm. By the time you disembark and get to passport control, it's past midnight.
Its past midnight when you entered. You were in no-man's land (international territory) until you entered Canada custom with passport. The only exception to the rule is if a baby is born in no man's land. It would go by geographical area. Born in Canada under Canadian international airspace.

Screech339

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bambino said:
CBSA only know you are physically on Canadian soil (not airspace) and is thus the only practically conclusive reference point for residence when you show up at the immigration booth....working off airspace times is a needless and unnecessary exercise...what if your plane gets re-routed for bad weather to the US....were you in Canada for a day?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Watch the tom hanks movie "the terminal". The rules applies the same. The main character was stuck in "no-man's" or international space until he was allowed to enter officially enter US

Screech339