+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing border in niagra (help/advice)

mick222

May 14, 2023
So i will break this down and i need an answer on if i will be okay or not

-I left canada in november 2021 (I lived in canada for 5 years prior to this without leaving)

-I havent been back since because of a major family crisis that happened in 2021

-Im not deciding to come back but my PR card is expired since 2021 and i read that i could cross the border with my expired pr card and copr

-will i be okay with just those two pieces of documents plus my passport?

-Im planning on crossing on the 26th of this month will i have any issues?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
-Im not deciding to come back but my PR card is expired since 2021 and i read that i could cross the border with my expired pr card and copr

-will i be okay with just those two pieces of documents plus my passport?
I don't understand what you mean by 'not deciding to come back.' Therefore hard to understand what you'd mean by 'okay.'

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
sorry typo, i mean that ive decided to come back*
First thing - how many days have you been in or out of Canada in the last five years (counting rom the day of crossing IE 26th of this month)?

If you have been in Canada 730 days as of that date or out of Canada less than 1095 days (in the five years back from that day), there is no issue and you can enter and then send in your app for a new PR card the next day. You will be in compliance with the residency obligation.

I'm going to stop there as this seems to be the case, as you say you were in Canada five years straight to Nov 2021. In fact looks like you will still have more than 1095 days in Canada - enough to apply for citizenship (if you meet the other criteria).

Reactions: mick222

mick222

May 14, 2023
First thing - how many days have you been in or out of Canada in the last five years (counting rom the day of crossing IE 26th of this month)?

If you have been in Canada 730 days as of that date or out of Canada less than 1095 days (in the five years back from that day), there is no issue and you can enter and then send in your app for a new PR card the next day. You will be in compliance with the residency obligation.

I'm going to stop there as this seems to be the case, as you say you were in Canada five years straight to Nov 2021. In fact looks like you will still have more than 1095 days in Canada - enough to apply for citizenship (if you meet the other criteria).
thank you

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Note, you may get questions about being absent, since you're in compliance, no issues and just tell the truth. Best to emphasize you're returning to stay after unanticipated absence. Be sure also to mention if asked you have 730 plus days in last five years, actually more than 1000 (if my quick arithmetic correct).

Last edited: