+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

crossed the border with expired PR

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
I am aware of the waiting period, The advise I am looking for, is should I wait till I am in RO compliance I.e. July, or applying to RAMQ has no risk of being reported?
Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am aware of the waiting period, The advise I am looking for, is should I wait till I am in RO compliance I.e. July, or applying to RAMQ has no risk of being reported?
Thank you
No there shouldn’t be a risk of being reported but you may not be approved if you don’t have a valid PR card.

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
I have read that a Certificat de Selection du Quebec (which I have) is required and either a valid PR or a document that shows immigration status. Will they accept the landing brown document as a proof of immigration status?

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Hello
I would like to know if travelling for few weeks will have negative issues when coming back at Montreal Airport.

After been away for 10 years, and with expired PR, I managed to cross the border in July 2018, got questioned and given hard time by the CBSA at that time and they let me in. I spent more 730 days and renewed my PR last September (2021). I also applied for citizenship mid of August 2021 and passed the exam couple of weeks ago.

I am seeking your advice please.
If I need to travel now, will I be stopped by the CBSA at the airport due to the notes the agent put in the system 4 years ago knowing that I never left Canada since I reentered? Is it safer not to travel and wait until I get the Canadian passport?

Many thanks

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
I would like to know if travelling for few weeks will have negative issues when coming back at Montreal Airport.

After been away for 10 years, and with expired PR, I acrossed the border back in July 2018, got questioned and given hard time by the CBSA at that time and they let me in. I spent more 730 days and renewed my PR last September (2021). I also applied for citizenship mid of August 2021 and passed the exam couple of weeks ago.

If I need to travel now, will I be stopped by the CBSA at the airport due to the notes the agent put in the system 4 years ago knowing that I never left Canada since I reentered? Is it safer not to travel and wait until I get the Canadian passport?

Many thanks
Short answer is, no. You're very lucky that the officer did not actually create a report under 44(1) that probably would have been the end of your PR!

As soon as you received your new PR card, you were fine. Feel free to travel NOW if you want/need to!

Reactions: Hadysaade

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello

After been away for 10 years, and with expired PR, I managed to cross the border in July 2018, got questioned and given hard time by the CBSA at that time and they let me in. I spent more 730 days and renewed my PR last September (2021). I also applied for citizenship mid of August 2021 and passed the exam couple of weeks ago.

Many thanks
Even if you are selected for secondary inspection if you can prove that you have a valid PR card there will be no issue. You say you renewed your PR card in Sept 2021 but you didn’t specify if you are in the possession of a valid PR card. I just assume that you have a valid PR card but given your wife lost her PR status thought I should double-check. Given your wife’s appeals were all denied I am surprised that your status wasn’t examined due to all her appeals. Assume the fact that her spouse and children were in Canada were her primary arguments for retaining her PR status, it seems surprising that whether her family members were compliant with their ROs as well didn’t come up or wasn’t flagged. Not the first time I would have been surprised by IRCC if it didn’t happen.

Last edited:

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
Hello

Many thanks
if you have a valid PRC why would they stop you
they might ask a question or two,
that is my opinion

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
Even if you are selected for secondary inspection if you can prove that you have a valid PR card there will be no issue. You say you renewed your PR card in Sept 2021 but you didn’t specify if you are in the possession of a valid PR card. I just assume that you have a valid PR card but given your wife lost her PR status thought I should double-check. Given your wife’s appeals were all denied I am surprised that your status wasn’t examined due to all her appeals. Assume the fact that her spouse and children were in Canada were her primary arguments for retaining her PR status, it seems surprising that whether her family members were compliant with their ROs as well didn’t come up or wasn’t flagged. Not the first time I would have been surprised by IRCC if it didn’t happen.
Thank you Canuck78 for the time to clarify the issue.
Below are the details:
Crossed the border July 2018
Applied for PR renewal December 2020
Applied for citizenship end of August 2021
Received PRC Sept 2021
Applied for inland spousal sponsorship (out of status) November 2021 (medical and fingerprints done March 2022)
Citizenship test Sept 2022.
Now waiting for Otath for me and my sons.
Also waiting for approval of spousal sponsorship for my wife.
This is why I am hesitant to travel until citizenship is granted.
Your valuable input is highly appreciated
Regards

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I draw attention to a different issue: as a PR, you must be resident in Canada to sponsor. Generally "short trips" i.e. weeks are allowed and not considered as not being resident.

You do not mention how long you plan to remain outside Canada. I would caution that given what appear to be serious issues with your spouse's residency and sponsorship process, you should (in my opinion only) exercise as much prudence as you can with respect to all travel until that process (and citizenship) are complete.

It's up to you of course. I don't know the detials of your file. The chances of issues arising may not be very high, but the consequences sound like they could be dire in your specific case (at least for your sposue).

Hadysaade

Star Member
Jun 21, 2017
I draw attention to a different issue: as a PR, you must be resident in Canada to sponsor. Generally "short trips" i.e. weeks are allowed and not considered as not being resident.

You do not mention how long you plan to remain outside Canada. I would caution that given what appear to be serious issues with your spouse's residency and sponsorship process, you should (in my opinion only) exercise as much prudence as you can with respect to all travel until that process (and citizenship) are complete.

It's up to you of course. I don't know the detials of your file. The chances of issues arising may not be very high, but the consequences sound like they could be dire in your specific case (at least for your sposue).
Thank you Armoured,
I was planning to go for a 3 week vacation. But, considering the sensitivity of the case, it seems that it would be better to wait to avoid any potential complications.
Thank you again.
Regards

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you Armoured,
I was planning to go for a 3 week vacation. But, considering the sensitivity of the case, it seems that it would be better to wait to avoid any potential complications.
Thank you again.
Regards
Again, I don't know specifics of your case and I don't mean to be a fearmonger. But there's clearly a lot going on here.

If it was just the case of your own PR status (and the citizenship app), that seems to be straightforward. It's the sponsorship (and some refusals and appeals) that would concern me.

asaeed100

Dec 4, 2019
Thank you Canuck78 for the time to clarify the issue.
Below are the details:
Crossed the border July 2018
Applied for PR renewal December 2020
Applied for citizenship end of August 2021
Received PRC Sept 2021
Applied for inland spousal sponsorship (out of status) November 2021 (medical and fingerprints done March 2022)
Citizenship test Sept 2022.
Now waiting for Otath for me and my sons.
This is why I am hesitant to travel until citizenship is granted.
Your valuable input is highly appreciated
Regards
how and where did you cross the border?

Eusufzai

Oct 30, 2009
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2013
Doc's Request.
12-12-2013
Nomination.....
24-07-2015
AOR Received.
02-12-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
13-01-2016
Med's Request
13-01-2016
Med's Done....
06-02-2016
Interview........
Waived
Hello

Many thanks
Hi Hadysaade,

Greetings! Glad to know you safely crossed the border and now almost settled in Canada. I just want to know whether you had US passport or Green card before you crossed the land boarder and finally entered to Canada? I am also short of RO, however my PR card will expire in 2024. I just want to know your opinion about the immigration authority at the Montreal airport, if I choose Montreal air port as the port of entry enroute to Winnipeg. Just your experience at the Montreal air port. By the way, which country (nationality) are you from?

Thank you for your kind reply in advance.

Eusufzai