+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criteria for open work permit extension

shshivam

Star Member
Aug 24, 2015
My friend's PGWP expires in a month. She has a full time permanent job currently and was hoping to get an express entry ITA under CEC (score 445) but CEC draws seem to be getting more infrequent with higher cut-off scores.

Is there any way to extend her stay in Canada so that she can continue working (with her current employer) till she gets an ITA and can be eligible for a BOWP? Or would she have to quit and leave Canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

My friend's PGWP expires in a month. She has a full time permanent job currently and was hoping to get an express entry ITA under CEC (score 445) but CEC draws seem to be getting more infrequent with higher cut-off scores.

Is there any way to extend her stay in Canada so that she can continue working (with her current employer) till she gets an ITA and can be eligible for a BOWP? Or would she have to quit and leave Canada?
1, Her employer would have to obtain an approved LMIA (advertise and pay $1000) about 3 to 4 months for approval.before she could apply for a new work permit. So she isn't going to get a new work permit in time, she will have to stop work, and apply to remain as a visitor if she wishes to stay.

shshivam

Star Member
Aug 24, 2015
So her only chance is to get an ITA before her PGWP expires if she wants to stay in Canada and continue working?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So her only chance is to get an ITA before her PGWP expires if she wants to stay in Canada and continue working?
That's not her only option. It's just the easiest option.

She would not only need to receive ITA but also submit her complete application (post ITA) and then also submit the BOWP application while her PGWP is still valid.

As said above, the other option is for her employer to obtain an approved LMIA so that she can switch to a closed work permit.

shshivam

Star Member
Aug 24, 2015
That's not her only option. It's just the easiest option.

She would not only need to receive ITA but also submit her complete application (post ITA) and then also submit the BOWP application while her PGWP is still valid.

As said above, the other option is for her employer to obtain an approved LMIA so that she can switch to a closed work permit.
Thanks for you response. How long does IRCC take to confirm the application is complete? She has all documents ready, and will be able to submit her application right away. Could she apply for BOWP right away after uploading all documents post ITA? For e.g. If her PGWP expires November 19, and she gets ITA November 15, is that enough time to still apply for BOWP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for you response. How long does IRCC take to confirm the application is complete? She has all documents ready, and will be able to submit her application right away. Could she apply for BOWP right away after uploading all documents post ITA? For e.g. If her PGWP expires November 19, and she gets ITA November 15, is that enough time to still apply for BOWP?
AOR happens pretty immediately as far as I'm aware. So the scenario you've described above should be feasible.

The main issue is how soon she will get ITA.

Good luck!

Reactions: shshivam

Ridwaan Ruhomaun

Star Member
Apr 28, 2020
@scylla
Hi Again,

I submitted my TR to PR pathway application on October, 11th 2021

So my current PGWP is expiring on the 27th Nov.

However, I did apply for the open work permit but was submitted on the 28th July which was the day after the deadline. So, most likely my application for open work permit will get refused.

Do you recommend me to apply again under TR to PR open work permit and withdraw my application that I applied on 28th July?

Please advise.

Kind Regards,
Ridwaan

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla
Hi Again,

I submitted my TR to PR pathway application on October, 11th 2021

So my current PGWP is expiring on the 27th Nov.

However, I did apply for the open work permit but was submitted on the 28th July which was the day after the deadline. So, most likely my application for open work permit will get refused.

Do you recommend me to apply again under TR to PR open work permit and withdraw my application that I applied on 28th July?

Please advise.

Kind Regards,
Ridwaan
If you applied under the PGWP public policy for an extension and that application was received by IRCC on July 28th, then you should expect that application is going to be refused.

I'm not familiar with the OWP process for TR to PR pathways and can't comment on that.

Uzairazhar55

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
@scylla
Hi i need some clearance on one thing.
I applied for OWP based on my Wife's PGWP when she had 8 months left on her permit. Now she has less than 6 months left.
Will there be an issue? I applied when i met the eligibility criteria. I hope IRCC considers this and does not reject.

Your comment and expertise will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla
Hi i need some clearance on one thing.
I applied for OWP based on my Wife's PGWP when she had 8 months left on her permit. Now she has less than 6 months left.
Will there be an issue? I applied when i met the eligibility criteria. I hope IRCC considers this and does not reject.

Your comment and expertise will be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
I don't know.

Reactions: Uzairazhar55