+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal record

Jun 14, 2018
Hello everyone,
If you Landed as immigrant exactly three years ago, never left Canada would you still need to provide background check document from the country you immigrated from ?
Thank you.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello everyone,
If you Landed as immigrant exactly three years ago, never left Canada would you still need to provide background check document from the country you immigrated from ?
Thank you.
No. Or, more precisely, not usually, or at least not necessarily.

See the "Note" beneath the chart for item 10.b) in the most recent version of the application form CIT 0002 (06-2019) where it states:
"Note: If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) year period, you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box."​

Alternatively, for immigrants who may have been in a country other than their country of origin in the year immediately prior to landing, see example 1 in the drop down help for item 10. Example 1 basically says that a police certificate needs to be provided IF the immigrant did NOT provide one for that country with the immigration application. If, in contrast, a police certificate was provided, no need to include a police certificate with the citizenship application SO LONG AS the immigrant has NOT traveled to that country since landing.

Mostly take the time to actually read the instructions, including those that are part of the application form itself, and then carefully follow those instructions.

Finally, be aware there appears to be a surge in erroneous posts in this forum lately, so approach what is posted here cautiously . . . including what I post -- I make an effort to get things right but I am NO expert and NOT an authority, so what I say is likewise only as reliable as can be confirmed by official and authoritative sources (for this question, that would be the instructions themselves).

Reactions: last_try