+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal Record Check

Lali1987

Star Member
Jun 15, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am completely new to this forum and I have a question. I will be glad if one of you could help me with that. ;D

Is the criminal record check required for everybody? When I submitted my application, I sent the police certificates required for my country of origin (where I lived my entire life) and the police certificate for Canada (where I have been living since 2012). Is that enough? Will CIC require fingerprints at a later stage or should I just go ahead and do it upfront?

Details regarding my application: It was submitted on March, 2015; AOR received on May, 2015, Medical request received on May, 2016; Medical exams were done 2 days after they requested it. We haven't heard anything from CIC since then, no word regarding police certificates or criminal check whatsoever.

Thank you so much for your help! This forum is amazing!

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
yes, all applicants are required to submit a police record. it wasn't necessary for you to send the Canada criminal check, as that is something CIC can get themselves. Generally, Canada police checks are requested by CIC if they decide it is necessary to have one done. . Fingerprints are not required, unless specifically requested from CIC. There is no need to get them done unless they request it.

Lali1987

Star Member
Jun 15, 2016
Thank you so much for your help. :D

I guess the only thing I have to do now is to keep on waiting. ::)

annakrystyna13

Star Member
Feb 10, 2015
I find that, even though they say they don't need a Police Certificate from Canada (Fingerprints), they request it very often. So it's a good idea to send it upfront. It's only about $40 to get it done and it can significantly reduce your wait time, since they won't have to request it. Same goes for the medical.
I submitted all those documents upfront and got SA and DM on the same day.

Lali1987

Star Member
Jun 15, 2016
annakrystyna13 said:
I find that, even though they say they don't need a Police Certificate from Canada (Fingerprints), they request it very often. So it's a good idea to send it upfront. It's only about $40 to get it done and it can significantly reduce your wait time, since they won't have to request it. Same goes for the medical.
I submitted all those documents upfront and got SA and DM on the same day.
Thank you for your input!

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lali1987 said:
Hello everyone,

I am completely new to this forum and I have a question. I will be glad if one of you could help me with that. ;D

Is the criminal record check required for everybody? When I submitted my application, I sent the police certificates required for my country of origin (where I lived my entire life) and the police certificate for Canada (where I have been living since 2012). Is that enough? Will CIC require fingerprints at a later stage or should I just go ahead and do it upfront?

Details regarding my application: It was submitted on March, 2015; AOR received on May, 2015, Medical request received on May, 2016; Medical exams were done 2 days after they requested it. We haven't heard anything from CIC since then, no word regarding police certificates or criminal check whatsoever.

Thank you so much for your help! This forum is amazing!
Hi ,
Criminal records checks are not required to be sent with the initial application for everybody , it all depends on your VO , if your VO is Mexico City you don't need to send police checks they will request them later on , because you can't get them even if you wanted too .

You need to read your country's own guide to figure out if one is needed .

CIC may or may not require your Canada Police Certificate and if they do , they will want the Fingerprint based Police certificate .