+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal Record Check for Close Family Members of the Person Being Sponsored

Beeo08

Star Member
Mar 30, 2016
Hi there, My wife is Colombian and I'm Canadian and I'm a little confused about the criminal record checks for close family members.

On the cic.gc.ca website, it says:

Note: The information you provide in your application about your family members and marital status must be true. You must tell CIC of any change in your case.
You must include all of your family members on the application. The people you sponsor must also tell us about each of their close family members.
If you are outside Canada: The people you sponsor must also tell us about each of their close family members. These family members must have a security and criminality check and a medical exam. If they do not, the sponsored person will not be able to sponsor them in the future.

I don't know how to interpret this:

1.) Is this referring to a criminal record check and a medical check for only dependents of the person you are sponsoring, for example, children. (my wife has none)

or

2.) Or is this referring to a criminal record check and a medical check for her Mom and Dad and for her brother and sister(who are over 18) (We are not sponsoring any of these people. I don't think you can sponsor siblings anyways, I know that you can sponsor parents if you'd like but that' not what we are doing)

It seems to me a little weird to put her parents and siblings through criminal and medical checks but maybe this is what is required.

Any advice/insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
From CIC

Family members

Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.

You do not need police or medical checks for your parents or siblings.

JJ628

Jun 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 17th, 2016
Doc's Request.
July 13th, 2016
AOR Received.
Mar 17th, 2016
File Transfer...
SA: Mar-22-2016 / AOR2: Apr-05-2016
Med's Request
Aug - 22 - 2016
Passport Req..
Aug - 22 - 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Sept - 21 -2017
Hey Beeo08,
I'm currently applying outland sponsorship from Colombia too.
My husband is only sponsoring me, I have no kids, I'm not planning to sponsor my parents nor my brother, therefore I only took my medical exams.
If she is not going to sponsor her close family, such as siblings, parents or children if any (you said she has no kids) then you are not supposed to go through medical or criminal records.
By the way, criminal records will be asked during the process so there's no need to add them to your application, but I did sent a certified and apostille copy of my criminal past just in case. I added it just so they know that I have a clean record, but I know that they will ask for it later on.
If you have any other question let me know, this whole application package is sometimes very confusing, so I'll be glad to help.

c4luu

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also am unsure about this!

I am looking at Central/Eastern Europe country specific instructions and it says:

"Police certificates or clearances from each country in which you and every one in your family aged 18 years and over have resided six months or more since reaching 18 years of age. You must attach the original police document(s)."

For Proof of Medical Examination:

"Include for yourself and each of your family members, proof of completion of the upfront medical examination from the Panel Physician."

So, :eek: does this mean that my sponsored spouse needs to have his sister and Mother get a police check and a medical exam?

crzy_canadian

Oct 28, 2015
Visayas - Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2015
AOR Received.
12-Jan-2016
File Transfer...
19-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
08-July-2016
VISA ISSUED...
VOH: 05-Aug-2016
c4luu said:
So, :eek: does this mean that my sponsored spouse needs to have his sister and Mother get a police check and a medical exam?
No, as MilesAway stated;

From CIC

Family members

Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children.

You do not need police or medical checks for your parents or siblings.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
CIC uses a special definition of family member. As noted above, it includes only your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, and dependent children. It is not the ordinary definition of family member that we would use in normal conversation, so it does not include grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.

So the only people who need to have medical checks and police checks are the person being sponsored and his or her dependent children (unless the children are already Canadian citizens or PRs). Likewise, the sponsor does not get medical and police checks because the sponsor is already a Canadian citizen or PR.

Some forms specifically ask for information about the applicant's mother and father, so include it there. As well, the Additional Family Information form does ask about the spouse or partner, children, parents, and all siblings, and their information must be listed there. Think of this as asking about additional family - that is, not just the narrow CIC definition of family members.

Cader

Oct 15, 2017
I have a question if someone could give me an exact answer. I am a PR. I have my wife and 5 Children living back home. Three of my children are
18 and above. Also they are married. I have plan to sponsor my rest of the two children who are under 18 and my wife. In this case should all my children need to have medical reports and police clearance ? Is it sufficient if my wife and two children whom I am going to sponsor take medical and police clearance ? Please help me with an answer.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I have a question if someone could give me an exact answer. I am a PR. I have my wife and 5 Children living back home. Three of my children are
18 and above. Also they are married. I have plan to sponsor my rest of the two children who are under 18 and my wife. In this case should all my children need to have medical reports and police clearance ? Is it sufficient if my wife and two children whom I am going to sponsor take medical and police clearance ? Please help me with an answer.
1. Only your spouse and the 2 children require police certificates (if they are over 18) all 3 require medicals

ColMatt

Jul 19, 2017
We have a similar question here. Her instruction letter:
"You must complete the Schedule A Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) form which is found at the following link:
You and all of your family members aged 18 or older (if applicable) must submit this form."

I'm Canadian, sponsoring my Colombian wife. I've been back in Canada for 5 year, having lived outside of Canada prior to that.

"Your family members include your spouse or common-law partner, your dependent children and any children that are their dependent children."

I haven't seen anything in our instruction letter that says me, the sponsor, does *not* need background check. Is it certain that I don't need one?

Cheers,
Matt

alejandra mtz

Dec 8, 2013
Good morning I got an email asking for my police check and in parenthesis family members 18 and over.
The question is do my parents need a police check even if they are not being sponsor?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good morning I got an email asking for my police check and in parenthesis family members 18 and over.
The question is do my parents need a police check even if they are not being sponsor?
No - they don't.