+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal Record Check for Canadians living abroad???

Dec 12, 2009
Hello everyone,

I'm a married Canadian who has been living in Thailand for the last 5 years or so.

I've submitted all ( or so i thought) the documentation for the Sponsorship of my Thai wife and son for PR status to Canada.

They are requesting ME to get a POLICE CERTIFICATE/CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK. ?

In the guide to Sponsorship for Family...NOWHERE DOES IT SAY that i would need a POLICE CLEARANCE..only for my family who i am sponsoring.

The reason that they gave to me was that
However, we do require that you submit an RCMP criminal record check to our office. We do make this request to many sponsors particularly if there are children on the file.

I emailed the Canadian High Commission in Singapore and asked about this 'new info'

I have no problem of submitting ALL DOCUMENTATION that was asked and if i do need to do this..by all means..it'll be done

Does anyone know anything about my situation in regards to Police Certificates for Canadian Sponsors with dependant children?

This situation is now going to delay my application by 2 or more months.

Thank you..
CDN in Thailand
Donny

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I've never heard of it before, but they do do background and security checks, so if they need more information for those, I guess they can request additional documents. If I were you, I'd just get the RCMP criminal record check and give it to them.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I agree - it's unusual but there's no sense fighting it. It's not inconceivable that they'd run name checks on sponsors to be sure that there are no domestic violence charges that would make them ineligible to sponsor. Maybe your name is common and it came back with a "hit", so now they're asking for fingerprints to be sure. It's what they do with applicants if there's a "hit" on their name - and considering the fact that they did say that they make this request of sponsors sometimes, "particularly if there are children on the file", it makes sense that it's just to be sure there are no domestic violence/child abuse charges.

You are ineligible to sponsor if:
•you are in prison;
•you are an undischarged bankrupt;
•you are in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability;
you were convicted of a sexual offence or an offence against the person with respect to
- one of your family members or relatives,
- one of your spouse’s or common-law partner’s family members or relatives, or
- your conjugal partner or one of your conjugal partner’s family members or relatives
unless you were granted a pardon or five years have passed after the expiration of the sentence imposed on you;
•you were adopted outside Canada and subsequently obtained a revocation of your adoption for the purpose of sponsoring an application for permanent residence by your biological parent;
•you are subject to a removal order; or
have been convicted of a serious criminal offence, have provided false information to Immigration, or have not met conditions of entry.

Bigvictory

May 10, 2010
Hi,
I will also soon be applying for a family class visa. I am the sponsor and I am not sure (since I have been living in Thailand for the past 4 years) if I need a Thai criminal record check as well as a physical. I can' t seem to understand the wording. I am aware that my partner needs both these things but, since the physical costs money, I was hoping to aviod it. Also the trip to Bangkok.
I will do this if necessary, I just can't seem to figure out if it is required and I don't want it to bite me in the bottom.
B.V

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You are the sponsor. The sponsor does not need police certificates and a medical.
The OP's case is unusual. If the CIC wants a police check from you, they will request one later.

Bigvictory

May 10, 2010
Thank you. I thought so but all this apllication stuff is making me paranoid of misunderstanding something. I appreciate your help.