+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal record check and driving??

DaniJenn3

Apr 19, 2012
Hi all,

Me and my wife are filing inland for spousal sponsorship. I'm just curious, it says it takes 16-18 weeks for you to recieve your criminal record check from the United States (that's where I am from) but I wish to apply now as my visitor status runs out in mid June. I have extended once already and have been in Canada since February/11. Do I need to wait til the Crim Check comes back to send my application? Also, would I need to re apply to extend my stay since I will be waiting or since I am applying for my Permanent Residency through spousal sponsorship do I have the right to stay? When does implied status kick in?

And I'm also having trouble at the DMV. They have taken my American license away and gave me an imterim paper license good for two months. Well those two months are almost up. They said they need something from the CIC to prove that I have filed paperwork in order for me to be issued another license. Is this the case? Has anyone had issues like this?

Thank you to all.

DaniJenn3

Apr 19, 2012
Also it's my understanding they want emails, skype logs, etc..

I don't have many emails considering we have lived together the entire time. But what there is of them, things are kind of racy. Does it matter some things are kind of sexual and graphic? Will that hurt any chances ?

Cheerio

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
Ive been wondering similar about the emails... All of our emails are so personal (since it's how we first got to know each other). Do they actually want copies of all of them?? In my case, I have too many!

I hope you get an answer soon!

ashunandal

Champion Member
Jun 23, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 26, 2012
File Transfer...
May 1, 2012
Interview........
July 31, 2012 (approved) went "in process" same day
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Visa stamped on August 3, 2012 and passport received back on August 13, 2012
LANDED..........
Oct 21, 2012
Cheerio said:
Ive been wondering similar about the emails... All of our emails are so personal (since it's how we first got to know each other). Do they actually want copies of all of them?? In my case, I have too many!

I hope you get an answer soon!
dont worry you dont need to send them everything you have. you can select some emails and chat history, where you were talking about your planning about your family, business, job, future ans past also. and tell them that you have many more and can provide on request. they need communication history in support of your relationship so you can just send them necessary chat logs to support your relationship..
best of luck

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
I will let others to comment on the driving license part.

For other questions:
1) You do not have the right to stay only by filing permanent residency through spousal sponsorship.
2) Yes, you need to apply to extend your visitor status 30 days before the current one expires. Do NOT overstay.
3) FBI result is required to be submitted along with the application. It takes about 8 weeks recently as reported by some forum members.

May I ask if you have considered applying outland instead of inland? It's normally faster. Many people apply outland while physically waiting out in Canada.

DaniJenn3 said:
Hi all,

Me and my wife are filing inland for spousal sponsorship. I'm just curious, it says it takes 16-18 weeks for you to recieve your criminal record check from the United States (that's where I am from) but I wish to apply now as my visitor status runs out in mid June. I have extended once already and have been in Canada since February/11. Do I need to wait til the Crim Check comes back to send my application? Also, would I need to re apply to extend my stay since I will be waiting or since I am applying for my Permanent Residency through spousal sponsorship do I have the right to stay? When does implied status kick in?

And I'm also having trouble at the DMV. They have taken my American license away and gave me an imterim paper license good for two months. Well those two months are almost up. They said they need something from the CIC to prove that I have filed paperwork in order for me to be issued another license. Is this the case? Has anyone had issues like this?

Thank you to all.

DaniJenn3

Apr 19, 2012
Hi-

I was told to apply inland if I wanted to stay in Canada. I was not aware I could file outland and still remain in Canada...I will be extending my visitor status. Lady I spoke to told me to extend before my visitor record expires, it doesn't have to be 30 days before just as long as I do it the day OF or day before online. I would send all of my paperwork in at the same time for it BUT I'm still waiting on FBI report and marriage certificate so I'm going to say on my visitor extension paperwork that I'm am applying for Permanent residency, I'm just finishing gathering all of my documentation.

How long is your FBI and Physical good for before you send it in? What kind of physical is it exactly?

Would I have any complications filing outland over inland and still remaining in Canada the entire time? And other than outland being faster and the right to appeal, what is the benefit over it?

Thanks!

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
Hi DaniJenn3

I'm not sure who that "lady" you spoke to is, but... on the back of the Vistor Record, it clearly says "If you wish to extend your stay in Canada as a temporary resident (visitor, student or worker),... you should return your application AT LEAST 30 DAYS BEFORE the expiry date of your status". It is also mentioned on the CIC website (www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp)

For my FBI cert, it took them 7 weeks from receiving my request to completing the record search, plus 1 week delivery to a Canadian address. The "Search Completed" date on the FBI cert date has to be within 3 months when CPC-Mississauga receives your PR application.

There are many applicants stayed in Canada as visitor, applied through outland at their own country of citizenship, and got approved.

Outland over inland applications:
1) It's generally faster, though some visa office has longer processing time than inland, check this to confirm (www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp)
2) It gives you the right to appeal
3) Outland applicants can travel inside/outside of Canada as they wish, but inland applicants are supposed to stay in Canada for the whole process.

Note:
1) For outland application, there is a chance that if the applicant is called for an interview, it will be carried out at the visa office that processes the case, ie, the applicant may need to fly to attend the interview.
2) If the sponsor is a Canadian Permanent Resident, s/he has to stay in Canada throughout the applicantion. If the sponsor is a Canadian citizen, s/he can come and go.

Good luck!

DaniJenn3 said:
Hi-

I was told to apply inland if I wanted to stay in Canada. I was not aware I could file outland and still remain in Canada...I will be extending my visitor status. Lady I spoke to told me to extend before my visitor record expires, it doesn't have to be 30 days before just as long as I do it the day OF or day before online. I would send all of my paperwork in at the same time for it BUT I'm still waiting on FBI report and marriage certificate so I'm going to say on my visitor extension paperwork that I'm am applying for Permanent residency, I'm just finishing gathering all of my documentation.

How long is your FBI and Physical good for before you send it in? What kind of physical is it exactly?

Would I have any complications filing outland over inland and still remaining in Canada the entire time? And other than outland being faster and the right to appeal, what is the benefit over it?

Thanks!

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
For medical examination, make sure you go to one of the designated medical practitioners (DMP), list here: www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medical.aspx. Try to call up a few DMPs where location is convenient to you and ask about the price (ranging from $1xx-$2xx in Canada) and details before you make an appointment with them.

After you have taken the medical exam by the DMP, you should immediately be given a green form IMM1017: Medical Report - Section A ("Copy 2" for the person examined). You have to submit the original of this green form together with the whole application pack (sponsor forms + applicant forms).

It'd normally be better to do the medical when you are almost ready to submit your application. If your PR application is approved, the landing deadline is normally before the 1st anniversary of the medical exam. While the process time is unknown depends on the complexity of your case and visa office's workload, etc, if the medical is expired some time during the PR process, the visa office may ask you to redo medical.