+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal proceedings ( oath invite)

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Hi, I have submitted my Canadian citizenship application back in july 2021 and recently got oath invitation. My record was clean when I applied for the Citizenship, however weeks after i applied I have been wrongly accused and charged with criminal harassment . the charges were dropped and the case is dismissed during the process However, in the oath invitation letter, I will have to confirm whether I have been subject to any criminal proceedings, I cannot sign it.

What can I do in this circumstances? Any guidance will be much helpful.

Note that i informed ircc already through webforms during the process

Thank you

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Hi, I have submitted my Canadian citizenship application back in july 2021 and recently got oath invitation. My record was clean when I applied for the Citizenship, however weeks after i applied I have been wrongly accused and charged with criminal harassment . the charges were dropped and the case is dismissed during the process However, in the oath invitation letter, I will have to confirm whether I have been subject to any criminal proceedings, I cannot sign it.

Thank you
Since you're NOT subject to any criminal proceedings now, you should sign and take oath.
I guess withdrawn charges will still appear on an enhanced police check (level 2), it may still affect your employment. But just explain to your employer that it's a false charge.

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Since you're NOT subject to any criminal proceedings now, you should sign and take oath.
I guess withdrawn charges will still appear on an enhanced police check (level 2), it may still affect your employment. But just explain to your employer that it's a false charge.
Hey broo i missed you so so much i talked before when i took my test you supported me mentally so much. I would never forget you i just love you!! Hope your health is ok and also your loved ones !
So finally after a long wait where i had to move out of my province i went thru all bad experiences sleeping in streets and shelter also becoming bankrupt just to avoid that this person keep accusing me of false charges .
now thanks to canadian justice all charges were dismissed on july 2022 I am so relieved. So i got my oath invitation for next week
should i sign the oath sir . I hope its not misrepresentation or will affect my ceremony and citizenship

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Hey broo i missed you so so much i talked before when i took my test you supported me mentally so much. I would never forget you i just love you!! Hope your health is ok and also your loved ones !
So finally after a long wait where i had to move out of my province i went thru all bad experiences sleeping in streets and shelter also becoming bankrupt just to avoid that this person keep accusing me of false charges .
now thanks to canadian justice all charges were dismissed on july 2022 I am so relieved. So i got my oath invitation for next week
should i sign the oath sir . I hope its not misrepresentation or will affect my ceremony and citizenship
Sign it and tell IRCC the false charge has been dismissed.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
There is no place where i can tell them in oath form i received i guess Also i raised web forms and informed them of the situation 2 times ( before courts ruling and after)
Then I think you're good to go.

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Then I think you're good to go.
Maybe near the signature in the form ( oath affirmation of citizenship)
It is stated < i confirm that i have not been subject to any criminal or immigration proceedings since i filed my application for citizenship >
Then below signature of applicant

trumprefugee

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-01-2018
Nomination.....
19-12-2017
AOR Received.
07-01-2018
IELTS Request
24-06-2017
Med's Done....
05-01-2018
Passport Req..
09-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2018
LANDED..........
28-05-2018

Thank you
The wording implies that you need to inform them of any "criminal or immigration proceedings" that have happened since you filed your application, whether they are ongoing or dismissed at the present or not:

IMPORTANT: PROHIBITIONS
I confirm that I have not been subject to any criminal or immigration proceedings since I filed my application for Canadian citizenship.

IMPORTANT : INTERDICTIONS
J'affirme que je n'ai pas fait l'objet de procédures criminelles ou d’une enquête de I’immigration depuis que j’ai fait ma demande de citoyenneté canadienne.

I think you should reply to the oath email, explain your situation (and reference the previous webforms you had already submitted in the past), and ask them how you should answer that question. I don't know the facts of your case, but if you say "the case is dismissed during the process", that suggests that there was a proceeding and you were at least charged with the crime, which would fall under Prohibitions.

It appears you should not have any issues in the end given that the accusations were false and the charges have been dropped. And if you have already raised webforms informing IRCC of this situation, they are already aware and don't consider it a problem. But you don't want to risk being accused of misrepresentation and getting your citizenship revoked due to omitting relevant information.

Reactions: amazigh-agnostic

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
The wording implies that you need to inform them of any "criminal or immigration proceedings" that have happened since you filed your application, whether they are ongoing or dismissed at the present or not:

IMPORTANT: PROHIBITIONS
I confirm that I have not been subject to any criminal or immigration proceedings since I filed my application for Canadian citizenship.

IMPORTANT : INTERDICTIONS
J'affirme que je n'ai pas fait l'objet de procédures criminelles ou d’une enquête de I’immigration depuis que j’ai fait ma demande de citoyenneté canadienne.

I think you should reply to the oath email, explain your situation (and reference the previous webforms you had already submitted in the past), and ask them how you should answer that question. I don't know the facts of your case, but if you say "the case is dismissed during the process", that suggests that there was a proceeding and you were at least charged with the crime, which would fall under Prohibitions.

It appears you should not have any issues in the end given that the accusations were false and the charges have been dropped. And if you have already raised webforms informing IRCC of this situation, they are already aware and don't consider it a problem. But you don't want to risk being accused of misrepresentation and getting your citizenship revoked due to omitting relevant information.
First off Thank you brother for taking the time to comment i really appreciate. More over giving me tips like that make me feel even more comfortable . I spoke with human beings like you on this forum they just told me the same which is to inform them. You’re all blessed in this forum.
thanks again !

Reactions: trumprefugee