+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal proceedings during oath

amazigh-agnostic

Star Member
Nov 6, 2020
Hi, I have submitted my Canadian citizenship application back in july 2021 and recently got oath invitation. My record was clean when I applied for the Citizenship, however weeks after i applied I have been wrongly accused and charged with criminal harassment . the charges were dropped and the case is dismissed during the process actually i informed ircc about this sad event through webforms.
i am invited to the oath ceremony next week
However, in the oath invitation letter, I will have to confirm whether I have been subject to any criminal proceedings

What can I do in this circumstances? Any guidance will be much helpful.

Thank you

Last edited:

Jakke

Star Member
Nov 6, 2021
Hi, I have submitted my Canadian citizenship application back in july 2021 and recently got oath invitation. My record was clean when I applied for the Citizenship, however weeks after i applied I have been wrongly accused and charged with criminal harassment . the charges were dropped and the case is dismissed during the process actually i informed ircc about this sad event through webforms.
However, in the oath invitation letter, I will have to confirm whether I have been subject to any criminal proceedings

Thank you
Be prepared for the possibility that they might ask for proof that the charges were dropped.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you
You have to declare the criminal proceedings. I would suggest notifying before the oath. If you don’t notify before the oath there is a good chance you will not be able to take the oath that day. If you don’t notify then you are misrepresenting which could lead to bigger problems. Agree with others who suggested to have all your records ready to prove charges were dropped.

Reactions: bellaluna

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014

Thank you
If you have already informed them via webform, they probably have a record of this on your file. Did you inform them of the proceedings as well as the charges being dropped or only of the proceedings?

Since the charges have been dropped, don't worry about it. State the facts as they are. All the best.