+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

criminal charges

Jul 3, 2017
hello people
i am from india .An accident took place 3 years before and i got charged under IPC 279(negligence and rash driving) and 337(minor injuries to the party).

The case is on the verge of completion but due to the absence of the party who filled a case against me is not showing.
On my latest court date i took permission from the court to travel to canada for studies and court granted me the permission.
I am now confused ,whether to apply for visa or wait for the case to be closed and then apply for visa.
NOTE :- i have paid my tuition fees and gic as well .

your answers would be appreciated.
thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Usually Canada will not issue a visa if you have criminal charges and a court case still pending. Typically you have to wait until the charges have been dealt with and the court case decided before Canada will issue a visa. However you can certainly try.

Jul 3, 2017
i have not been convicted yet ... even judge is pursuing to settle the case but the person is not showing . Still can you clarify more in depth ,having a court grant to travel to canada for study and accidents can happen with any one and no major injuries were there ..it will still create a problem even if i write a letter to them with my application?
thanks

Jul 3, 2017
and one more thing can you tell how canada government treat such case in canada ?
are they serious ones or less serious one?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
i have not been convicted yet ... even judge is pursuing to settle the case but the person is not showing . Still can you clarify more in depth ,having a court grant to travel to canada for study and accidents can happen with any one and no major injuries were there ..it will still create a problem even if i write a letter to them with my application?
thanks
Yes - I understand you haven't been convicted. Again, typically Canada won't grant a visa until the charges have been dealt with and the court case decided. But again, you can certainly apply and see what happens.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
As scylla has suggested, you must wait until the case is decided either which way because IRCC will not issue any visa to you until then.

It would be best if your lawyer can have the case closed by getting the court to declare that the complainant has turned hostile (legal parlance for retracting previous statements) or has become an absconder. Your lawyer would know best depending on the sections of the Law under which the case has been filed

Reactions: scylla
Dec 23, 2023
Bumping on this one, as I am facing the same situation. The case can be closed anytime, not an issue, but will it affect my chances?