NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
Interesting. What about break-ins into people's homes?
Too funny (NOT FUNNY). In Canada people do not have to live in fear. We believe in basic human decency as a way of life rather than that everyone is out to get you. Guns are not a way of life here, and no doubt if you want a gun for "Protection" you are probably not a good fit for Canada. Plus we have police to deal with that. Guns do not make a society safer. It only makes it more unsafe. I agree with @scylla. I also have no idea where to buy a gun, nor do I have any desire (or need ) to own one.

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
Too funny (NOT FUNNY). In Canada people do not have to live in fear. We believe in basic human decency as a way of life rather than that everyone is out to get you. Guns are not a way of life here, and no doubt if you want a gun for "Protection" you are probably not a good fit for Canada. Plus we have police to deal with that. Guns do not make a society safer. It only makes it more unsafe. I agree with @scylla. I also have no idea where to buy a gun, nor do I have any desire (or need ) to own one.
I know I am on the paranoid side. But its partly because I will be moving without my family and friends, there'll be no one but me to look after me, so I better do my research- right? I certainly don't want a gun for protection! Thanks for the insight

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
Anyone: What would be some recommended steps and/or links that I can read in order to research more thoroughly on this topic? Are there some official gun-law that I could read? This is really a pinch to my nerve and its hard for me to move forward without more factual information

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
Thank you, they are helpful. I know I could Google myself blue (and I have done), I just don't seem to get anywhere with factual information. I need primary sources, not subjective and not necessarily comparisons between the U.S and Toronto because I don't find the U.S particularly representative to average crime rates around the world when it comes to gun related crimes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am a single female who has lived in Toronto for 20 years without any problems. I would encourage you to live in a neighbourhood that isn't right beside public housing.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
Hi there,

I came across this interactive map in my research of a place to settle in Toronto: https://torontolife.com/neighbourhood-rankings/

You can adjust the settings depending on what are the most important criteria for you. If I am correct, some cities also release "crime maps", if that can be of interest to you.
Yes, all of it is very helpful. Thank you!

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
I am a single female who has lived in Toronto for 20 years without any problems. I would encourage you to live in a neighbourhood that isn't right beside public housing.
Glad to know! Good testimony

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Last edited:

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
From my experience, gun violence in the US is mostly prevalent in the poorer neighborhoods. If you avoid those areas, you will likely not have any issues. I grew up in New York City and lived several years in Buffalo. I knew the areas to avoid (and what times) and I never had an issue. Hence I didn't experience a huge decline in gun violence when I moved here (Toronto) because I never really experienced any when living in the US. IMHO, the reports of gun violence in the US is a little bit hyped up here.

HOWEVER, I will say that there are a lot less of these "dangerous" areas in Canada and the level of danger in these areas are much less than what you would see in some parts of the US. For example, I have been through the "dangerous" areas in Toronto and did not really feel threatened much whereas some parts of Buffalo and NYC I was definitely concerned.

mira_johnson

Sep 30, 2015
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-2017
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-2017
LANDED..........
10-2017
From my experience, gun violence in the US is mostly prevalent in the poorer neighborhoods. If you avoid those areas, you will likely not have any issues. I grew up in New York City and lived several years in Buffalo. I knew the areas to avoid (and what times) and I never had an issue. Hence I didn't experience a huge decline in gun violence when I moved here (Toronto) because I never really experienced any when living in the US. IMHO, the reports of gun violence in the US is a little bit hyped up here.

HOWEVER, I will say that there are a lot less of these "dangerous" areas in Canada and the level of danger in these areas are much less than what you would see in some parts of the US. For example, I have been through the "dangerous" areas in Toronto and did not really feel threatened much whereas some parts of Buffalo and NYC I was definitely concerned.
Thank you for sharing your personal experience on the matter. Funnily enough, I also spent extensive time in the U.S. and never had a problem and I also never heard of gun related crimes when I was there. I don't know if its true but the gun crime (as streamed in media) seems to have increased mostly in recent years. But the gun laws have more or less always been the same. I know that Canada doesn't have a big deal of gun related crimes at the moment, but is it possible that it might increase the way it seemed to have done in the U.S? These are questions I ask myself, when planning my own future and my children(s) future in Canada.