+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Credit card for temporary resident?

MTL2MTL

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Do you know any banks who approve credit cards for temporary residents here in Canada?

Thanks

MTL2MTL

Star Member
Feb 21, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Nykro, I'm more looking for banks that approve credit cards for us.

T-hEMK

Apr 3, 2017
National bank. I have an account with them since my first week of landing as temporary resident. They also offer credit card depending on your situation.

MTL2MTL said:
Hello,

Do you know any banks who approve credit cards for temporary residents here in Canada?

Thanks

poisonapple

Nov 3, 2014
Montreal
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney/Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
Med's Done....
20-04-2017
Passport Req..
MTL2MTL said:
Hello,

Thanks
You will first need to apply for secured (need to deposit money with bank) one and after 6 months or so banks convert them to open..you can get it from any of the recognized banks - TD ,RBC , Scotia

oscarborged

Feb 3, 2016
Hello,

This is my second week in Ottawa.
I came with a closed work permit, and i opened my savings account with TD Bank.
The situation was a bit odd when I asked my agent to make a request for an unsecured credit card...and it just seemed like he didn't wanted to.
This week i called him back asking if it was possible, this time he offered me a secured credit card with max $500 CAD. I proceed to mention that Scotiabank and BMO were offering me unsecured deals for up to $1.000, so I guess he felt trapped and asked me to go to the office to start the process.
I understand banks don't have access to your international credit life, but why do you guys think we was so hesitant? Do you think the agents make a better deal offering secured credit cards? I am not an expert, that's why I am asking, sorry if those are basic questions.

By the way, my appointment at TD with him it's this weekend, but if anyone have a better suggestion, I am all ears.
Thanks,
Oscar

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

The situation was a bit odd when I asked my agent to make a request for an unsecured credit card...and it just seemed like he didn't wanted to.
This week i called him back asking if it was possible, this time he offered me a secured credit card with max $500 CAD. I proceed to mention that Scotiabank and BMO were offering me unsecured deals for up to $1.000, so I guess he felt trapped and asked me to go to the office to start the process.
I understand banks don't have access to your international credit life, but why do you guys think we was so hesitant? Do you think the agents make a better deal offering secured credit cards? I am not an expert, that's why I am asking, sorry if those are basic questions.

By the way, my appointment at TD with him it's this weekend, but if anyone have a better suggestion, I am all ears.
Thanks,
Oscar
There is a huge risk offering temporary residents credit. Many leave Canada with unpaid credit cards, phone plans/bills, etc. You are in a better position if you have a job and have been able to transfer money into a bank account.

Reactions: oscarborged

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Hello,

Thanks,
Oscar
Try Costco or Walmart, they are eager to offer credit cards without much questions. (I am not sure if they will do a hard credit check, which if they do will ding your credit but you dont have any credit history anyway :D)

oscarborged

Feb 3, 2016
There is a huge risk offering temporary residents credit. Many leave Canada with unpaid credit cards, phone plans/bills, etc. You are in a better position if you have a job and have been able to transfer money into a bank account.
Thanks for your time and answers.

I went to TD Bank today, and my agent helped me with the request. Basically he said that because my SIN ends with a specific number (Students and Foreign workers without PR have a similar one), and the validation is done through their "System", usually those requests for unsecured credit cards are rejected.

Lucky enough, he went to her supervisor and did my process personally, which ended up with me having an unsecured credit card :)

kdr91

Star Member
May 7, 2019
Thanks for your time and answers.

I went to TD Bank today, and my agent helped me with the request. Basically he said that because my SIN ends with a specific number (Students and Foreign workers without PR have a similar one), and the validation is done through their "System", usually those requests for unsecured credit cards are rejected.

Lucky enough, he went to her supervisor and did my process personally, which ended up with me having an unsecured credit card :)
For me, contrary, it was a big surprise when I was offered a credit card from TD. Never expected such move from them. Limit? Double of my month salary and able to jack up to 4 times amount of the salary. Interesting