+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Credit card for Sponsored Spouse

Inception14

Jan 9, 2018
Hello people, i have a quick question. I sponsored my family and they plan to land in Canada next month. Am wondering, if my spouse wanted to get an unsecured credit card in their names, does my credit rating determine whether they can get the credit card or it's not looked at?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello people, i have a quick question. I sponsored my family and they plan to land in Canada next month. Am wondering, if my spouse wanted to get an unsecured credit card in their names, does my credit rating determine whether they can get the credit card or it's not looked at?
If you co-sign on her credit card your credit rating will influence approval, what amount, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply. If i dont co-sign on the card, then my rating wont matter at all, right?
Just clarifying that you only have one spouse because you said they. Depending on your spouse’s financial situation she may not qualify for a credit card. Seems like you are lI kept indicating that you may have bad credit. I Would be prepared for your spouse to ask you to co-sign or the bank to suggest you co-sign while filing out the application so I would recommend being upfront with your spouse.