+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRA Letter for proof of residency for the Child Benefit paid for previous years

shri_boss

Jan 10, 2013
Hi All,

Not sure whether anyone had this situation.

I received a letter from CRA that I (My wife as she is receiving Child tax benefits) will need to provide letters from landlord, from school for the attendance record for my kids as a part of random audits for CTB beneficiaries. If we fail to provide proofs, CRA stating that it may stop CTB payments.

we are living as PR holders for 2 years, but my wife and kids went back to India for 8 months for some family functions and other issues.

Now I can get the letters they have stayed with me and from schools. For that 8 months spent at India, I'm going to tell them that they were not here at Canada.

Does anyone had this situation before? CRA will ask us to pay the amounts back for those 8 months or whole 2 years?

Can anyone guide please?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They should only ask you to pay back the 8 months. However since you've been receiving benefits you aren't entitled to, it will be up to you to prove how long they weren't / were in Canada. It may also take more work to get the benefits restarted once your children are back in Canada. Receiving benefits you aren't entitled to is social assistance fraud. Be more careful in the future.

shri_boss

Jan 10, 2013
scylla said:
They should only ask you to pay back the 8 months. However since you've been receiving benefits you aren't entitled to, it will be up to you to prove how long they weren't / were in Canada. It may also take more work to get the benefits restarted once your children are back in Canada. Receiving benefits you aren't entitled to is social assistance fraud. Be more careful in the future.
Thank you Scylla.

Actually, there are more reasons behind. One of my kid was not feeling well and I paid around $700 for Hospital, since I didn't get any family doctors where I was stayed first. Also, my wife and kids planned for 2 months visit to my country as her grandpa was fell ill (she was taken care before come to Canada), then I thought of finding some apartment, settled down, then my wife return after 8 months back to Canada. Unfortunately, her Grandpa passed away after she came here.

Anyway, I'm ok to repay the amount as we are not purposely cheating CRA, even I didn't know much about the rules and need to inform CRA about their visit to my home country.

Thanks again.