+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRA GST

Dhillon1988

Dec 3, 2019
I got married in November 2019 and my spouse is still in India ( not a PR yet , file in process )
While doing my taxes I put in my changed marital status. I got a mail form CRA stating that they over paid some amount of GST to me in Jan 2020, and based on my changed status , they want that overpaid GST back.

can I argue that although my relationship status is changed, but my spouse isn’t a PR or citizen of canada yet, so do I still need to pay back that overpaid amount!??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got married in November 2019 and my spouse is still in India ( not a PR yet , file in process )
While doing my taxes I put in my changed marital status. I got a mail form CRA stating that they over paid some amount of GST to me in Jan 2020, and based on my changed status , they want that overpaid GST back.

can I argue that although my relationship status is changed, but my spouse isn’t a PR or citizen of canada yet, so do I still need to pay back that overpaid amount!??
No you can’t argue that. You should have informed CRA right after you got married and wouldn’t have been overpaid, I can’t imagine it is a large amount. You aren’t being asked to pay back thousands of dollars.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

When you receive correspondence to repay an overpayment from the CRA, it’s not a RSVP to a party . You reply and repay the amount . If you don’t , they’ll either garnish future refunds , if it’s larger they’ll hand it over to a Collections Officer