+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CRA cheque for Tax refund

Jul 15, 2019
Hello,

I am not able to find any link or source where it says the CRA mails cheques of Tax refunds to non-residents to their own country. Can anyone tell if the CRA will mail your tax refunds to your own country ? And how do you cash the CRA cheque in your country?

Thanks

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Hello,

I am not able to find any link or source where it says the CRA mails cheques of Tax refunds to non-residents to their own country. Can anyone tell if the CRA will mail your tax refunds to your own country ? And how do you cash the CRA cheque in your country?

Thanks
There is no way CRA will pay your refund to a non Canadian financial institution or send a cheque to a non Canadian address. You still have an option, if you have a friend or a family member living in Canada and have a bank account then you can use your friend or family member as au authorized person, CRA will deposit the money to his/her account then she/he can send it to you. See here

Applying for a refund of tax overpayments
To get a refund of excess or incorrectly withheld Part XIII tax, a non-resident has to fill out Form NR7-R, Application for Refund of Part XIII Tax Withheld. The CRA has to receive this form no later than two years from the end of the calendar year in which the tax was sent to the CRA.
You may be a non-resident of Canada filing Form NR7-R, Application for Refund of Part XIII Tax Withheld. If so, you can ask the CRA to deposit your refund directly into your bank account at a Canadian financial institution by filling out and attaching Form NR304, Direct Deposit Request for Non-Resident Account Holders and NR7-R Refund Applicants. The name on the account must match the name of the applicant or the authorized person who signs the certification section on Form NR7-R. For more information, go to Direct deposit – Canada Revenue Agency.
Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/payments-non-residents/nr4-part-xiii-tax/remitting-part-xiii-deductions/applying-a-refund-tax-overpayments.html

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thanks
Are you sure you are getting a refund? The majority of people don't get any money back they pay money to CRA.

Jul 15, 2019
There is no way CRA will pay your refund to a non Canadian financial institution or send a cheque to a non Canadian address. You still have an option, if you have a friend or a family member living in Canada and have a bank account then you can use your friend or family member as au authorized person, CRA will deposit the money to his/her account then she/he can send it to you. See here

Applying for a refund of tax overpayments
To get a refund of excess or incorrectly withheld Part XIII tax, a non-resident has to fill out Form NR7-R, Application for Refund of Part XIII Tax Withheld. The CRA has to receive this form no later than two years from the end of the calendar year in which the tax was sent to the CRA.
You may be a non-resident of Canada filing Form NR7-R, Application for Refund of Part XIII Tax Withheld. If so, you can ask the CRA to deposit your refund directly into your bank account at a Canadian financial institution by filling out and attaching Form NR304, Direct Deposit Request for Non-Resident Account Holders and NR7-R Refund Applicants. The name on the account must match the name of the applicant or the authorized person who signs the certification section on Form NR7-R. For more information, go to Direct deposit – Canada Revenue Agency.
Source:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/payments-non-residents/nr4-part-xiii-tax/remitting-part-xiii-deductions/applying-a-refund-tax-overpayments.html
Hey thanks for letting me know about that.
The mailing cheque thing is so confusing because I am getting different replies from everywhere.
After talking to HRBlock, they said CRA does mail refund cheques to All countries (I don't know if there is a Terms and Conditions there).
But then Turbo Tax Twitter say that CRA doesn't mail refund cheques and also will not send refund to anyone other than the person who is applying.
Here I find something else. And I am trying to call the CRA but to no avail as "The number is busy" like All the time.
Why do they make it so extremely difficult to find simple answers in the government website?
Maybe I will have to ask the HRBlock person to clarify everything. Because I feel like once I pay them, they will bring out all these hidden "Terms and Conditions" for me to get the cheque in my country.
But Thanks for the help man!

Jul 15, 2019
Are you sure you are getting a refund? The majority of people don't get any money back they pay money to CRA.
Its pretty basic Income Tax refund. I got it last year like immediately when I was there in Canada with "Direct Deposit". But this year since, I am out of Canada, and my Canadian Bank isn't available anymore, I am trying to find answers anywhere I can get the refund mailed to me by cheque.