+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Covid_19-Fall'20 students who got their visa approved

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Have you contacted CBSA? They are looking for a refund by cancellation. I don't know anyone who was able to board the flight. Everyone who was a first time flier got denied.
I actually have been checking some colleges/uni' website regards their advice for international students. U of Alberta recommends its students to have written confirmation from IRCC (which I tried and then an automatic reply saying that international students don't need a written confirmation) as well as contact CBSA and airlines to confirm exemption.

After going through some websites, I'm more confused actually. There are some schools saying that online classes will not be considered as essential, while others stating that intl students can travel as long as they were approved before March 18

Source: https://www.ualberta.ca/international-student-services/prepare-for-ualberta/immigration-documents/immigration-travel-employment-information-and-covid-19

Reactions: GradStudent18

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
I actually have been checking some colleges/uni' website regards their advice for international students. U of Alberta recommends its students to have written confirmation from IRCC (which I tried and then an automatic reply saying that international students don't need a written confirmation) as well as contact CBSA and airlines to confirm exemption.

After going through some websites, I'm more confused actually. There are some schools saying that online classes will not be considered as essential, while others stating that intl students can travel as long as they were approved before March 18

Source: https://www.ualberta.ca/international-student-services/prepare-for-ualberta/immigration-documents/immigration-travel-employment-information-and-covid-19
I seriously don't understand what was the point of giving us exemption when majority of students can't make it there owing to online classes.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
I seriously don't understand what was the point of giving us exemption when majority of students can't make it there owing to online classes.
I know. If they want to make more sense and do us a favor, they'd just need to update earlier that the exemption only for students whose primary residence is in Canada or their majors require practical labs, etc. Why can't they just update this to free us from confusion? It has been more than 2 months since they first announced the exemption.

Many students are wasting their money booking and canceling tickets.

Vishwa1910

Dec 5, 2018
Hello everyone,

I just saw about this push notification thing. I haven't got any and was approved of visa before 18th March, 2020. Does that mean I am not exempted, as it is written to other "...have been sent" and to others who are not exempted "...will be sent".

If anyone receives it please do share it here.

After tirelessly reading articles after articles and forums I am just not getting anywhere.

Thank you.

fatimajill

Mar 8, 2019
Hello everyone,

I just saw about this push notification thing. I haven't got any and was approved of visa before 18th March, 2020. Does that mean I am not exempted, as it is written to other "...have been sent" and to others who are not exempted "...will be sent".

If anyone receives it please do share it here.

After tirelessly reading articles after articles and forums I am just not getting anywhere.

Thank you.
La version française suit le texte anglais.

The Government of Canada is working closely with partners in Canada and around the world, including the World Health Organization (WHO), to respond to the current outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
If you are a representative, please let your clients know about this important information.
Effective March 18, 2020, Canada is denying entry to travellers who are not citizens or permanent residents of Canada. There are some exceptions to these restrictions to permit essential travel to Canada for certain international students. If you have a valid study permit or you were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, you will still be able to come to Canada.
If you are travelling to Canada to study soon, you need to be aware of public health measures in place to limit the spread of the virus in Canada. You need to know what to expect upon arrival and during your studies.
When you arrive in Canada, your health will be assessed when you speak to the border services officer. You must isolate for 14 days, even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory for all travellers, and there are significant penalties for anyone who does not follow this order. Please see New Order Makes Self-Isolation Mandatory for Individuals Entering Canada.
Before travelling to Canada, students should check with their designated learning institution to make sure their course or study program is still operating. This is particularly important if you have received a letter of introduction from IRCC but have not started studying yet.
Before and during your trip,
  • avoid spending time in large crowds or crowded areas
  • avoid contact with sick people, especially if they have a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing
  • be aware of the local situation and follow local public health advice
  • be sure to monitor your health, and if you become sick before or during your trip, avoid contact with others except to see a health care professional
You must have a plan for how you will self-isolate for 14 days when you get to Canada and how you will obtain medical care if you become sick. While in self-isolation, you will be unable to leave where you are staying for any purpose. If you do not have a plan for self-isolation, including how you will buy groceries and access other essential services, please delay your travel until you have made one.

You will need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to travel to Canada. Do not travel to Canada if you feel sick. If you are sick, delay your travel plans until you are feeling well.
When you get to Canada,
  • If you develop symptoms during your flight to Canada, tell a border services officer when you arrive in Canada. This is required under the Quarantine Act (a Canadian law). If you don’t, you could be charged with a crime.
  • If you do not have symptoms but believe you were exposed to someone who was sick with COVID-19, under the Quarantine Act, you must report this to a border services officer when you get to Canada. The border services officer will give you instructions to follow.
  • If you develop a fever, cough or difficulty breathing within 14 days,
    • continue to isolate yourself from others
    • call the public health authorityin the province or territory you are in to tell them about your symptoms and travel history
      • They will give advice on what you should do.
While you are studying in Canada,
  • Keep monitoring your health for fever, cough or difficulty breathing. If you get sick, avoid contact with others and contact your local public health authority.
  • If the self-isolation requirements are still in effect for the beginning of your learning program, you may have courses online. This will not affect your in-class requirements for applying for a post-graduation work permit in the future.

fatimajill

Mar 8, 2019

The Government of Canada is working closely with partners in Canada and around the world, including the World Health Organization (WHO), to respond to the current outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
If you are a representative, please let your clients know about this important information.
Effective March 18, 2020, Canada is denying entry to travellers who are not citizens or permanent residents of Canada. There are some exceptions to these restrictions to permit essential travel to Canada for certain international students. If you have a valid study permit or you were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, you will still be able to come to Canada.
If you are travelling to Canada to study soon, you need to be aware of public health measures in place to limit the spread of the virus in Canada. You need to know what to expect upon arrival and during your studies.
When you arrive in Canada, your health will be assessed when you speak to the border services officer. You must isolate for 14 days, even if you have no symptoms. This is mandatory for all travellers, and there are significant penalties for anyone who does not follow this order. Please see New Order Makes Self-Isolation Mandatory for Individuals Entering Canada.
Before travelling to Canada, students should check with their designated learning institution to make sure their course or study program is still operating. This is particularly important if you have received a letter of introduction from IRCC but have not started studying yet.
  • avoid contact with sick people, especially if they have a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing
  • be sure to monitor your health, and if you become sick before or during your trip, avoid contact with others except to see a health care professional
You must have a plan for how you will self-isolate for 14 days when you get to Canada and how you will obtain medical care if you become sick. While in self-isolation, you will be unable to leave where you are staying for any purpose. If you do not have a plan for self-isolation, including how you will buy groceries and access other essential services, please delay your travel until you have made one.

You will need to pass a health check before you’re allowed to board your flight. Anyone who shows symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to travel to Canada. Do not travel to Canada if you feel sick. If you are sick, delay your travel plans until you are feeling well.
When you get to Canada,
  • If you develop symptoms during your flight to Canada, tell a border services officer when you arrive in Canada. This is required under the Quarantine Act (a Canadian law). If you don’t, you could be charged with a crime.
  • If you do not have symptoms but believe you were exposed to someone who was sick with COVID-19, under the Quarantine Act, you must report this to a border services officer when you get to Canada. The border services officer will give you instructions to follow.
    • call the public health authorityin the province or territory you are in to tell them about your symptoms and travel history
  • Keep monitoring your health for fever, cough or difficulty breathing. If you get sick, avoid contact with others and contact your local public health authority.
  • If the self-isolation requirements are still in effect for the beginning of your learning program, you may have courses online. This will not affect your in-class requirements for applying for a post-graduation work permit in the future.

This is what i received. Not sure if its the same.

Reactions: vhptanh@97

Drsunmeet Singh

Mar 26, 2020
Hey guys someone pls help me out. I have got 63.3% in 12th in 2019 with 45/100 in two subjects (accounts and business) i did 12th in india cbse. Will my visa get refused? Do i have chances for visa? Pls reply I will be applying soon by june end end hopefully.
You should choose economics as major assuming you have scored better in it? IELTS SCORE?

Vishwa1910

Dec 5, 2018

When you get to Canada,
when did you received this?
And so those who receive, can only travel or are exempted?
And you got this in your email and not your GIC message?

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
when did you received this?
And so those who receive, can only travel or are exempted?
And you got this in your email and not your GIC message?
It doesn't acknowledge the person by their name. Its just a generic email about the measures in place around march. A lot has changed since. I got approved in 2019 and i haven't received any such email. This email won't form any basis for entry.

Vishwa1910

Dec 5, 2018
It doesn't acknowledge the person by their name. Its just a generic email about the measures in place around march. A lot has changed since. I got approved in 2019 and i haven't received any such email. This email won't form any basis for entry.
But than question remains that why everyone with approved visa are not receiving this mail?
as you mentioned you where having approved visa since 2019 than have you not travelled to Canada yet or are returning member?

Last edited:

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
But than question remains that why everyone with approved visa are not receiving this mail?
as you mentioned you where having approved visa since 2019 than have you not travelled to Canada yet or are returning member?
Because my program was starting in May and i was to travel in April but our country suspended flights. I don't how they are sending emails. Maybe they are sending emails to the recently approved candidates and not old approved ones.

vhptanh@97

Star Member
Nov 29, 2018
Hey. I had this friend on FB replying to my post seeking for first-time fliers. She is a first time flier got into Canada on June 4th at Toronto Airport. I'm asking her if she came for the Fall or Summer semester.