+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoVID19 Travel Ban by Canada on All Foreign Nationals-Does it include COPR holders? Will my airline allow me to fly from India to Toronto?

Nishant_1010

Mar 17, 2020
Hi,

My COPR expires on 15th April and i have my flight booked for the 10th from India to Toronto Pearson International Airport. With the recent border closure by Canada, does that mean i cannot travel aswell? This will be my first landing to Canada with my wife who also holds a COPR. Please let me know with the current travel ban, can i still enter Canada?

Reactions: ProjectCanada

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,

My COPR expires on 15th April and i have my flight booked for the 10th from India to Toronto Pearson International Airport. With the recent border closure by Canada, does that mean i cannot travel aswell? This will be my first landing to Canada with my wife who also holds a COPR. Please let me know with the current travel ban, can i still enter Canada?
Unlikely I think but check with the airline given they will have specific board/no board instructions and it is the airline checkin you have to convince to even board. In mean time follow through with a webform to IRCC for any special arrangements for delayed travel as per links below

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#Approved_permanent_residence

Nishant_1010

Mar 17, 2020
Unlikely I think but check with the airline given they will have specific board/no board instructions and it is the airline checkin you have to convince to even board. In mean time follow through with a webform to IRCC for any special arrangements for delayed travel as per links below

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#Approved_permanent_residence
Update: I just checked with the airline, they have no new instructions as of now. Bs65, when you say unlikey, do you mean its unlikely for me to enter Canada on my COPR or unlikely for the airlines to stop us from boarding?

My question is does an unsigned/unstamped COPR still allow me to travel to Canada with the current travel ban?

P.S. Thanks for the links. Have already raised a request for clarification. Will keep you'll posted on the updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr.Worldwide

Avid_Reader

May 25, 2019
Many are in same boat. Yesterday i was reading some folks need to leave before 25 March. So i am assuming they will wither have to Extend the COPR expiration date or allow COPR/PRV holders entry.

Confirmation is awaited tho. Please keep us posted if you get anything.

Nishant_1010

Mar 17, 2020
W
Many are in same boat. Yesterday i was reading some folks need to leave before 25 March. So i am assuming they will wither have to Extend the COPR expiration date or allow COPR/PRV holders entry.

Confirmation is awaited tho. Please keep us posted if you get anything.
Will do. I have also written to the Embassy. Will keep you posted if i hear a response

Chiya89

Star Member
Apr 7, 2017
Hi my parents are also in same situation. They have COPR but I don’t know if they will be allowed. Should we book the tickets?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi my parents are also in same situation. They have COPR but I don’t know if they will be allowed. Should we book the tickets?
None of us know the answer to that question.

bnextgen

Apr 4, 2019
Hi,

I am in a similar boat, though I am in the US currently. My COPR expires on 30th April 2020. This link which BS65 posted seems to be the latest and I submitted a webform asking for an extension to IRCC yesterday, I will post how they respond, with the borders closed there is no way to travel.
Also check out this link, looks like a supplementary to the previous link , even that was updated on 15th March 2020. Check the part which says
--> If you have been approved for permanent residence
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

Gsk47

Nov 8, 2019
AOR Received.
9th july, 2019
Med's Done....
08-2019
Hi
My and wife's CoPR is till 3rd July, my wife 's sister is Citizen, they enquired at Canada Border Security Agency, Immigration Officer, Our Airline ( BA), response is

- airline is allowing to board as we have valid travel documents
- immigration office is allowing CoPRs unlesa border security is fine
- Border Security is allowing as wife s sister is Citizen...

Overall CoPRs are allowed if citizen relationship can be proved

Do we have similar case here please?

bnextgen

Apr 4, 2019
Hi
My and wife's CoPR is till 3rd July, my wife 's sister is Citizen, they enquired at Canada Border Security Agency, Immigration Officer, Our Airline ( BA), response is

- airline is allowing to board as we have valid travel documents
- immigration office is allowing CoPRs unlesa border security is fine
- Border Security is allowing as wife s sister is Citizen...

Overall CoPRs are allowed if citizen relationship can be proved

Do we have similar case here please?
Thanks for sharing your case.
So, like all the above conditions need to satisfy?
when you land at the Port of Entry, will you be checked in by the immigration officer first? Where does the Border Security come into picture? Just trying to understand?

Gsk47

Nov 8, 2019
AOR Received.
9th july, 2019
Med's Done....
08-2019
When they enquired at immigration (CIC) , they suggested to confirm with border security, cic didn't have objection.

Reactions: bnextgen

bnextgen

Apr 4, 2019
When they enquired at immigration (CIC) , they suggested to confirm with border security, cic didn't have objection.
I get the idea, but I think this might be a gamble, even if the CBSA tells you they are fine, you don't want to rely on a verbal confirmation to land. As things are so volatile at this moment in time, I don't even think they have a protocol in place unless it has been made official and that can be adhered to.

it will be highly inconvenient if CBSA turns away after landing over there, we have to wait for some updates, just my thought, I am in a similar situation, though I do not have any Canadian citizen as relatives at this point