+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID19 postponed oath ceremony

Ded1981

Sep 13, 2020
Hi all, I'd appreciate any info/advice on this matter from your experience:
I am currently outside of Canada. I was invited to take the oath over a year ago (citizenship process completed), but couldn't go due to COVID travel restrictions. I contacted IRCC and my ceremony date was postponed, with no new date. I was told they would contact me. I didn't reach out to them since then because of the situation where I'm staying, I wasn't able to travel until now. I am now able to travel to Canada and do the oath, so I intend to contact IRCC and request a new date.
Does anyone have experience with this? Should I expect them to schedule it right away, as there are online oath ceremonies, or would it take a long time? Thanks.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi all, I'd appreciate any info/advice on this matter from your experience:
I am currently outside of Canada. I was invited to take the oath over a year ago (citizenship process completed), but couldn't go due to COVID travel restrictions. I contacted IRCC and my ceremony date was postponed, with no new date. I was told they would contact me. I didn't reach out to them since then because of the situation where I'm staying, I wasn't able to travel until now. I am now able to travel to Canada and do the oath, so I intend to contact IRCC and request a new date.
Does anyone have experience with this? Should I expect them to schedule it right away, as there are online oath ceremonies, or would it take a long time? Thanks.
Didn't they tell you they would keep the file for 6 months only? In any case, if your file is still open, and they reschedule your oath, you will probably need to wait 3-4 months, which is the average time to schedule the oath these days.

Ded1981

Sep 13, 2020
Didn't they tell you they would keep the file for 6 months only? In any case, if your file is still open, and they reschedule your oath, you will probably need to wait 3-4 months, which is the average time to schedule the oath these days.
No, they didn't say they would keep it open for only 6 months. And the status still says in progress. The timeline shows I was invited for the oath, and nothing after that. The last email from them simply says "we will reschedule your oath ceremony at a later date".
So you think it's going to be 3-4 months after I contact them?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
No, they didn't say they would keep it open for only 6 months. And the status still says in progress. The timeline shows I was invited for the oath, and nothing after that. The last email from them simply says "we will reschedule your oath ceremony at a later date".
3-4 months is an assumption based on applicants’ wait times from decision made to oath. It’s not unreasonable. But oath rescheduling is uncommon so we have no idea if IRCC has a different protocol for that.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
More than one applicant reported that they were notified "usually the file is kept for 6 months", without specifying what would happen after that. Maybe it's just to scare people to come and take the oath within 6 months, maybe they really reject applications. I am not sure. Any way, as bellaluna mentioned, this 3-4 months is from DM to oath, but I don't think getting the oath immediately after contacting them is likely. They respond to webforms after a month sometimes. Also, before rescheduling, they may ask you for passport copies, when you entered Canada. This is a new procedure they adopted for applicants who leave/left Canada while their application is in process.