+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[COVID travel ban] PR moving to Canada with spouse who has visiting visa

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
Hello all,

We are a couple living in the US on work related visa, we are (were :( ) planning to move to Canada in the next few weeks. The recent travel ban because of coronavirus has us in a very difficult situation and I am totally confused and worried. I am a PR but my spouse only has a valid visitor visa. We are both Indian nationals. I see in the government announcement that immediate family of Canadian citizens will be allowed to enter, but does anyone know if the same applies to immediate family of my a PR. We are totally confused here since we do not know if my wife will be allowed to enter. My main worry is because I am very close to my 3 years and loosing my residency and was planning to move with that in mind. Unfortunately, could not move sooner because of the work situation and have just finally figured it out.

I will greatly appreciate if you could help with information about the situation mentioned above, or if you know any agency I can approach to check the same. Thank you very much for your time and help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

We are a couple living in the US on work related visa, we are (were :( ) planning to move to Canada in the next few weeks. The recent travel ban because of coronavirus has us in a very difficult situation and I am totally confused and worried. I am a PR but my spouse only has a valid visitor visa. We are both Indian nationals. I see in the government announcement that immediate family of Canadian citizens will be allowed to enter, but does anyone know if the same applies to immediate family of my a PR. We are totally confused here since we do not know if my wife will be allowed to enter. My main worry is because I am very close to my 3 years and loosing my residency and was planning to move with that in mind. Unfortunately, could not move sooner because of the work situation and have just finally figured it out.

I will greatly appreciate if you could help with information about the situation mentioned above, or if you know any agency I can approach to check the same. Thank you very much for your time and help.
No one has any clarifying information on this yet. Keep checking official sources for updates.

Reactions: trsf01

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
Hello all, just wanted to check-in again if anyone happens to know anything about this. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Reactions: trsf01 and mbaleine

upon

Champion Member
Jan 23, 2020
Winnipeg
Reactions: mbaleine

trsf01

Feb 20, 2020
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en

Non-application

3 Section 2 does not apply to

(b) an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or of a permanent resident as defined in subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
Thank you so much @canuck_in_uk ! Really appreciate you taking time give this information!!

Would you happen to know if most recent update on "no non-essential travel" between US and Canada will affect this at all? Thanks a lot again!