+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Covid-19 and immediate family definition

EddyCo

Jun 19, 2019
Hello,
What would be the right definition of "Immediate Family"?
Does common law is count?

I'm living with my common law spouse and recently I traveled outside Canada, my return flight to Canada scheduled to next week, in the news I saw that only citizen, permanent resident and immediate family can enter Canada , I have DM in my application and I waiting for a landing interview appointment, should I expect difficult entering Canada? I have no where else to stay as my work, spouse, home and everything else are in Canada.
Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

I'm living with my common law spouse and recently I traveled outside Canada, my return flight to Canada scheduled to next week, in the news I saw that only citizen, permanent resident and immediate family can enter Canada , I have DM in my application and I waiting for a landing interview appointment, should I expect difficult entering Canada? I have no where else to stay as my work, spouse, home and everything else are in Canada.
Thank you!
Noone yet knows details on this provision. Wait until something published (official). You may have difficulty in documenting common law, so think about what you have to show that. Note that so far the announcement said immediate family of Canadian citizens, not PR, so hope your spouse is a citizen.

Reactions: Belarusian

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello,

Thank you!
Keep in mind it is a denial of boarding not just denial of entry to Canada so you have convince checkin and unless your CL spouse is a citizen then CL/ immediate family will not help. As above not sure how outside of immigration you can show CL for travel purposes.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Reactions: armoured

EddyCo

Jun 19, 2019
Noone yet knows details on this provision. Wait until something published (official). You may have difficulty in documenting common law, so think about what you have to show that. Note that so far the announcement said immediate family of Canadian citizens, not PR, so hope your spouse is a citizen.
Thank you,
The spouse is Canadian citizen, I contacted IRCC today and validated that my PR approved and they reply that all I have to do is wait for landing interview but with the Covid-19 development I should expect delays more than 60 days before they contacting me.

The reason of travel was mother funeral, I have all documents as proof if asked.

I will prepare following documents
+ deceased family member
+ official signed by authority for living conjugate and common law in Canada
+ decision made from IRCC

Any suggestions what document could be helpful beside what I mentioned above?

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thank you!
The other issue is whether you will have health insurance if you do get to Canada. In many provinces you won’t.

jassa

Sep 15, 2013
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en

This is the official clarification of new ban which states that immediate family members of prs are also allowed and also people having copr and PRVs , who are travelling to reunite immediate family members can also enter canada( i may be wrong on this one check it yourself guys, correct me if i am wrong).
Now the only thing i guess would be to convince airline guys at the airport about this official annoucement.
I had sponsered My wife and my 5 month old son as pwemanent residents and they are coming this sunday . I am gonna tell her to bring everything ( marriage certificate, photocopy of my pr card, marriage photos, and photocopy of this official announcement etc.) So that airport crew will not have any reason to deny their boarding.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/attachment.php?attach=38952&lang=en

This is the official clarification of new ban which states that immediate family members of prs are also allowed and also people having copr and PRVs , who are travelling to reunite immediate family members can also enter canada( i may be wrong on this one check it yourself guys, correct me if i am wrong).
Now the only thing i guess would be to convince airline guys at the airport about this official annoucement.
I had sponsered My wife and my 5 month old son as pwemanent residents and they are coming this sunday . I am gonna tell her to bring everything ( marriage certificate, photocopy of my pr card, marriage photos, and photocopy of this official announcement etc.) So that airport crew will not have any reason to deny their boarding.
Sorry to burst your bubble but if international flights can’t land in India they likely won’t be leaving.