+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Country of residence. US F1 Visa

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
Hey guys,

I am on US on F1 visa. Basically student visa. There is option of "Country of residence" I put in US.

There is also a section where it asks "Are you legal resident of United states?" When I choose YES, they ask for USCIS number and I provide with my student USCIS number.

When I go to upload documents, They are specifically asking for US Green Card. I can provide my EAD card which has my legal status. There isn't anywhere we can add student visa details and stuff.

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
Hey guys,

I am on US on F1 visa. Basically student visa. There is option of "Country of residence" I put in US.

There is also a section where it asks "Are you legal resident of United states?" When I choose YES, they ask for USCIS number and I provide with my student USCIS number.

When I go to upload documents, They are specifically asking for US Green Card. I can provide my EAD card which has my legal status. There isn't anywhere we can add student visa details and stuff.
You are not a "legal resident" of the United States, just a resident. F1 visa is issued to students, who are considered as non immigrants.

International students are defined as "non-immigrant" visitors who come to the United States temporarily to take classes. ... does not have US citizenship or legal permanent resident status (a "green card") applies for a visa to be allowed entry into the US.
Source: How to Determine if You Are an International Student ...summer.berkeley.edu › international › are-you-an-international-student

dotslash227

Champion Member
Apr 28, 2019
dotslash227 is wrong.

If you are a U.S.resident depends on the definition of the process.

"Your country of residence is the country in which you are residing, provided that you have been lawfully admitted to that country."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5527-application-permanent-residence-temporary-resident-permit-holder.html
If there is an international student staying in US for his/her education, it would imply that the student's current residence is in US. However, this does not imply that the student is a "legal resident" of the US.

Legal residency is a term used for people who have "immigrated" to a country, since, a student on a study visa to the US is classified as an non-immigrant class, hence cannot claim to be a "legal resident" of the US.

For this particular OP, the answer to, "are you are a legal resident of the US?" would be No. Otherwise, OP wouldn't had been asked to upload his "green card", which he/she doesn't have, because they are not a legal resident of the US.

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
I contacted one of my friend who was also in the same boat. He and his wife had already applied for Canada PR. The legal resident term is acquired whoever stays in US for more than 6 months.

According to my friend, the green card is just generic term that they sue for documents. We just need to upload any legal status document that we have to prove that we are legally US. In my case, they are asking USCIS number if I am legal resident, I do have USCIS number and I have my EAD card to prove my legal residency.