+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Country of Residence for F1-OPT

itinerant

Nov 18, 2017
I'm an Indian citizen, currently in USA working on F1 OPT, and recently received my ITA. While creating my EE profile, I chose United States for Country of Residence, as the help tooltip for the field said - the country where you currently reside in legally.

However, as far as I'm aware, F1, while not exactly being a visitor visa, is still a non-immigrant visa and I'm unsure of whether I should put in US or India as the country of residence in the PR application.

Can someone who has gone through similar dilemma assist me, please? Also, does IRCC website answers what exactly is a definition of residence somewhere?

P.S. Apologies if this was asked before, I searched for the query here and on IRCC website but didn't find a post answering the question explicitly (only found answers for H1).

itinerant

Nov 18, 2017
You choose correctly. Your country of residence is the country you currently live and work in and you have a legal status.
Thanks!

Would you happen to know if the application going to ask for my immigration status at any point? Do I need to attach copy of Visa stamp and current EAD (my visa stamp expired a little while ago)

Bobbieleigh

Dec 11, 2015
They don't ask about your immigration status but after you receive ITA you'll have to skan all the stamped passport pages together with bio page.

k0110b

Jan 8, 2019
Thanks!

Would you happen to know if the application going to ask for my immigration status at any point? Do I need to attach copy of Visa stamp and current EAD (my visa stamp expired a little while ago)
Did you end up attaching a copy of your OPT EAD card in optional section ?

localhost8100

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
This is my question to. I did select my current residence as US. But when I go to uploading documents, it is asking me for GREEN CARD. WTF.

Did any of you figure out whats the work around.