+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Counting the days abroad together

Feb 18, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen. My wife and child were approved for permanent residency in summer of 2017. They landed at that time, got their PR cards, and we spent the following 3.5 months living in Vancouver. Due to a number of factors (primarily having the support of her family while our baby was an infant) we decided to move back to her home town in Japan, together, for a while in order to get our feet under us. We have been living together in Japan (I have a spousal visa here) but have now decided that we want to move back in time for our son to start kindergarten and grow up in Canada. The big question that we're trying to figure out is to what extent the clock is running down on their residency obligations, specifically whether or not the days that we've been living together abroad count towards the magic 730. From what I've read so far they "may" count as days in Canada since they were accompanying me (or vice versa) and we have been habitually living together this whole time. Any thoughts or insights would be HUGELY appreciated.

Feb 18, 2017
I think the following applies?
I would still HUGELY appreciate any thoughts or insights on the matter.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-7.html#h-274598

Residency obligation
  • 28 (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.

• Application

(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):
    • (a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are
      • (i) physically present in Canada,

• (ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I think the following applies?
I would still HUGELY appreciate any thoughts or insights on the matter.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/I-2.5/page-7.html#h-274598

Residency obligation
  • 28 (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.

• Application

(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):
    • (a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are
      • (i) physically present in Canada,

• (ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,
Yes, it does.

Reactions: solomonmatsuda

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
You may also need to provide proof that you were both together in Japan (utility bills in joint names etc.).

schilz

Star Member
Dec 25, 2018
As long as you are a Canadian citizen, and you can prove that you were living together, you should be fine as days outside of Canada count in that case.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
Residency obligation days maybe but not citizenship days which must be physical days in Canada.
so if someone marries a canadian and they both live abroad the spouse can't apply for citizenship without actually living in canada?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
so if someone marries a canadian and they both live abroad the spouse can't apply for citizenship without actually living in canada?
Absolutely correct, barring a very few exceptions. They will also need to be a Permanent Resident.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
attention, it is not that simple. they can ask question who accompanied whom. The thing is, what was your status while living with her in Japan? Why did you move to Japan? Was it just to accommodate her? Did you have work there? All that can matter.

The silver lining behind is that you can sponsor her again. As for your child, was he / she born in Canada? If not, were you born in Canada or are you naturalized Canadian? On that depends if your child is Canadian or not.

Another good thing is, that she has time until autumn 2020 to move back to Canada (that is to fulfill her residency obligations by being in Canada).