+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Counterfoil invalid (student visa no longer valid)

Shani19

Star Member
Oct 27, 2016
Hey guys

My brother extended his student visa in nov 2019 which was approved. But on 8th October 2020 his cic account got an update that says that the counterfoil (student visa) is invalid. Also he has not been in Canada since Jan 2020 since the classes are online.
Is it invalid because he didn’t return to canada? Or is related to something else? Please if you guys have any idea why the visa is no longer valid, let me know.
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lovy01

Lovy01

Oct 4, 2020
Hey guys

My brother extended his student visa in nov 2019 which was approved. But on 8th October 2020 his cic account got an update that says that the counterfoil (student visa) is invalid. Also he has not been in Canada since Jan 2020 since the classes are online.
Is it invalid because he didn’t return to canada? Or is related to something else? Please if you guys have any idea why the visa is no longer valid, let me know.
Thanks!!
No need to worry this is because of travel reatriction

Areebabdullah

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
Hey guys

Thanks!!
Hello,

I'm on the same boat as your brother, my status was changed as well on 8th October.

I was approved for study permit and my passport was returned to me with a counterfoil valid until 2022/03/30. However, the application status on my Gckey account now indicates that my application was approved but the status shows "Your document is invalid."

I would like to know if my document is still valid for travel to Canada.

Please note my DLI (Centennial College O19394700003) has been approved for its readiness plan to host international students as per the list updated by IRCC.

I hold a valid tourist visa as well.

Regards,
Areeb Abdullah

Areebabdullah

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
Hey guys

Thanks!!
Did you find a solution yet?

Anything would be helpful right now as I'm really worried.

Jinal28

Dec 27, 2020
Did you find a solution yet?

Anything would be helpful right now as I'm really worried.
Hello,

I'm on the same boat as your brother, my status was changed as well on 8th October.

I was approved for study permit and my passport was returned to me with a counterfoil valid until 2022/03/30. However, the application status on my Gckey account now indicates that my application was approved but the status shows "Your document is invalid."

Please note my DLI (Centennial College O19394700003) has been approved for its readiness plan to host international students as per the list updated by IRCC.

Regards,
Areeb Abdullah
Hey there i am also facing same problem and right now i am in india i went to airport and they tell me your visa is deactivated. So i have to contact to ircc or cic.if you found solutions please let me it’s urgent for me.
Thank you

Areebabdullah

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
Hey there i am also facing same problem and right now i am in india i went to airport and they tell me your visa is deactivated. So i have to contact to ircc or cic.if you found solutions please let me it’s urgent for me.
Thank you
Hey, I contacted my local embassy (Abu Dhabi) and they fixed it for me.

Jinal28

Dec 27, 2020
Hey guys

Thanks!!
Thank you

Kavi66

Dec 28, 2020
Hello,

Regards,
Areeb Abdullah
Hey!
I am also facing the same problem, Can you please explain in detail the procedure you followed, and also how long it took to you to solve this problem??