+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Could an immigration lawyer appeal the decision of a VO officer regarding PGWP?

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Hey guys,

Could a good lawyer appeal the decision of a VO officer?

For example, if you study 2 1 year PG diploma in 2 different provinces, but only got 1 year of PGWP?

Is there something a lawyer could do in this situation assuming you are full-time students with good grades in both programs?

So far, I heard that the length of your PGWP depends on you grade, the length of your program ( 2 years is better than 2 1 years) and on the mood of the VO :) Does this mean that its better to do flagpole since you can kind of beg them in person to give you a 3 years of PGWP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey guys,

Could a good lawyer appeal the decision of a VO officer?

For example, if you study 2 1 year PG diploma in 2 different provinces, but only got 1 year of PGWP?

Is there something a lawyer could do in this situation assuming you are full-time students with good grades in both programs?

So far, I heard that the length of your PGWP depends on you grade, the length of your program ( 2 years is better than 2 1 years) and on the mood of the VO :) Does this mean that its better to do flagpole since you can kind of beg them in person to give you a 3 years of PGWP?
Sure, a lawyer can appeal. An appeal will take a number of months and cost you a few thousand dollars.

Your grades don't matter. What matters is whether you were a full time student with no unofficial breaks, if both schools and programs qualify for a PGWP and how long a break you took between programs.

Flagpoling is closed at this time due to COVID-19. Not an option.

Reactions: Accountingdude2893

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Sure, a lawyer can appeal. An appeal will take a number of months and cost you a few thousand dollars.

Your grades don't matter. What matters is whether you were a full time student with no unofficial breaks, if both schools and programs qualify for a PGWP and how long a break you took between programs.

Flagpoling is closed at this time due to COVID-19. Not an option.
What is your experience regarding this situation? There is no rule for PGWP for studying in different provinces, so what do these VO based on to make a decision to give the students only 1 year of PGWP?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What is your experience regarding this situation? There is no rule for PGWP for studying in different provinces, so what do these VO based on to make a decision to give the students only 1 year of PGWP?
There is no rule for different provinces. The only rules are those posted on the IRCC web site.

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
There is no rule for different provinces. The only rules are those posted on the IRCC web site.
So how should I advice my friend who only got 1 year of PGWP even though he did 1 3 semesters program + 1 2 semester program, and being full-time in both of them? Is hiring a lawyer the only option for him?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Maybe you can file a request for reconsideration with a letter explaining you believe you meet the requirements to combine the length of two programs. Keep in mind both programs must be at least 8 months and PGWP-eligible in their own right, and you must have begun the second one within 150 days of completing the first.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
So how should I advice my friend who only got 1 year of PGWP even though he did 1 3 semesters program + 1 2 semester program, and being full-time in both of them? Is hiring a lawyer the only option for him?
Did you friend attach Letter of Completion & Final Transcripts for both programs? Also, in SOP nowadays you need to say you state you are looking for 3 year pgwp through consideration of both programs to avoid confusion.

Accountingdude2893

Star Member
Jun 15, 2019
Maybe you can file a request for reconsideration with a letter explaining you believe you meet the requirements to combine the length of two programs. Keep in mind both programs must be at least 8 months and PGWP-eligible in their own right, and you must have begun the second one within 150 days of completing the first.
I wonder if this has something to do with the level of the program as one is a diploma, and the other is a certificate!? As far as I know they are the same level (post-secondary).

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Did he submit both sets of proof/documents and explain in his letter that he is looking for 3 years PGWP?
You don't need a lawyer, call IRCC and explain the situation they will put in a reconsideration request for your file.