+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Costs of moving settle in Alberta from Australia

Ausnurse

Mar 4, 2019
Hi all,
I am currently doing my families budget to move to Calgary, AB.
Have i forgotten anything? is there anything you would add?

Visa fee’s
Medical Ax Fee's
Permanent resident cards
Proof of funds
WES
Flights
Freight costs
Silverado
Suburban
6 months rent +bond
2x phone plans
Car insurance
Ashton's flights home- for my son, his father remains in Aus.
Trailer
Furniture
CARNA registration- nursing registration
Red seal examination- heavy vehicle license
School fee's
4 weeks of groceries
Setting up utilities- gas/electricity/water/internet
2x weeks of fuel for both cars
NCLEX- exam for nursing
2x passports
Ielts exam x2
Clothing
Drivers license Exchange x2
Private Health Insurance

I know i might be missing things. What are your experiences?

Ausnurse

Mar 4, 2019
How about trade your Melbourne house for a Calgary house?
Essentially that is what we are doing, however we have to rent for the first 6 months as the mortgage broker said that we need to pass our probationary period in our employment in order to obtain a mortgage over there. After all this is paid we will still have a little over 400k for a deposit and then a small mortgage as i am looking in the 550-600k range for homes. I also want to rent in the area i think i would like to buy in to make sure i like it before committing to a mortgage in a town i may not like.

I'm trying to look for any other unexpected costs i may have missed.

Reactions: kast29

Ausnurse

Mar 4, 2019
I have added Australian Federal police checks. As they are required for express entry visa.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Essentially that is what we are doing, however we have to rent for the first 6 months as the mortgage broker said that we need to pass our probationary period in our employment in order to obtain a mortgage over there. After all this is paid we will still have a little over 400k for a deposit and then a small mortgage as i am looking in the 550-600k range for homes. I also want to rent in the area i think i would like to buy in to make sure i like it before committing to a mortgage in a town i may not like.

I'm trying to look for any other unexpected costs i may have missed.
Most lease are for 1 year.

Ausnurse

Mar 4, 2019
I'm sure i will be able to find a rental. I'm not really asking if people think i am going to get a rental or not, i am asking if others have had any unexpected costs that arent on this list that i should plan for.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I'm sure i will be able to find a rental. I'm not really asking if people think i am going to get a rental or not, i am asking if others have had any unexpected costs that arent on this list that i should plan for.
Seriously? He was just providing extra information in case Australian rental terms were different were different from those here in Canada . A simple thank you would of sufficed

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Are you going to be able to get jobs? How long will it take to pass licensing exams? Alberta economy is not great. There was also a very recent change in government so who knows what changes will be made (positive or negatives). Are there full-time jobs for nurses and heavy equipment operators? What kind of salary are you looking at? From what I hear the health system went on a hiring spree 10-15 years ago and we had tons of healthcare workers moving to Alberta but the full-time jobs aren’t there anymore. Same thing for a heavy equipment operator with all the lay offs in the oil sands.

Not sure it make sense to bring cars from Australia to Canada given the differences in specifications. Not sure if you were indicating shipping plus various licensing or purchasing.

Ausnurse

Mar 4, 2019
Are you going to be able to get jobs? How long will it take to pass licensing exams? Alberta economy is not great. There was also a very recent change in government so who knows what changes will be made (positive or negatives). Are there full-time jobs for nurses and heavy equipment operators? What kind of salary are you looking at? From what I hear the health system went on a hiring spree 10-15 years ago and we had tons of healthcare workers moving to Alberta but the full-time jobs aren’t there anymore. Same thing for a heavy equipment operator with all the lay offs in the oil sands.

Not sure it make sense to bring cars from Australia to Canada given the differences in specifications. Not sure if you were indicating shipping plus various licensing or purchasing.
Hi Canuck,
Thanks for the reply.
My husband has already been offered 2 full time jobs. I have given myself a year to find employment. We won’t be leaving until I have completed my licensing here for CARNA (nursing registration board). I’m halfway through already. We would be purchasing the cars in Canada, not shipping ours. I will have to do some more reading into the change in government, to have a look what might be on the cards in the future. When I have searched for jobs, there have been quite a lot in my field of nursing, so I am hopeful but understand things can change quickly.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck,
Thanks for the reply.
My husband has already been offered 2 full time jobs. I have given myself a year to find employment. We won’t be leaving until I have completed my licensing here for CARNA (nursing registration board). I’m halfway through already. We would be purchasing the cars in Canada, not shipping ours. I will have to do some more reading into the change in government, to have a look what might be on the cards in the future. When I have searched for jobs, there have been quite a lot in my field of nursing, so I am hopeful but understand things can change quickly.
Wow. Many in the industries surrounding the oil sand have had difficulties getting jobs but perhaps your husband is very specialized. Would look at whether the nursing jobs are full-time and have benefits. From what I have heard most people are having to take on multiple part-time and some may not be paying as well. Not sure if you are leaving good jobs in Australia but the Canadian economy is not very strong and Alberta is one of the provinces that has really taken a hit.

Ausnurse

Mar 4, 2019
Wow. Many in the industries surrounding the oil sand have had difficulties getting jobs but perhaps your husband is very specialized. Would look at whether the nursing jobs are full-time and have benefits. From what I have heard most people are having to take on multiple part-time and some may not be paying as well. Not sure if you are leaving good jobs in Australia but the Canadian economy is not very strong and Alberta is one of the provinces that has really taken a hit.
We will definitely keeping on looking into it. Australia’s economy is terrible at the moment also.