Med's Done....
13-08-2012
Passport Req..
25-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
18-10-2012
LANDED..........
MasterBlaster said:
MY wife and I live near to downtown (Ossington Subway) in a spacious basement of a well maintained house. I will put down our monthly expense as follows:

Monthly rent - 900 (inclusive of high speed internet, TV and utilities)

Grocery - 350 (we shop from No Frills, which is just few minutes walk from our house)

TTC Monthly passes - 252

Telephone - 110

Misc - 200

Total - $ 1812

We have tried to manage to live in the above range for the past 7 months since landing. Will upgrade to an apartment soon as I have just landed on a job (after 8 months of struggle). But we are very happy with our current location which is very safe and easily accessible by TTC:)
Thank you Masterblaster, this is even more reasonable. people just come here to quote figures. if you are a newcomer, its always good to start small. even if you are being paid 10000 dollars where you are coming from does not mean you should start paying what some pple have quoted here. We have heard stories of pple waiting for a year before getting jobs. Theres nothing wrong, once u get a job, you can find yourself a more expensive apartment if you want.

So, you guys should please give us a more reasonable expenses in the suburb of the cities for new comers.

thank you

mute_man

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2011
Dhaka
Category........
Visa Office......
SG
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 January 2011
Nomination.....
23 June 2011
AOR Received.
20 July 2011
Med's Request
05 March 2014
Med's Done....
15 March 2014
Passport Req..
05 March 2014
VISA ISSUED...
16 April 2014
LANDED..........
12 July 2014
good thread!!

profahmed

Star Member
Apr 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
january2010
Doc's Request.
march 2010
AOR Received.
june2010
Med's Request
19th june 2012
Med's Done....
25th june2012
Interview........
waived

May2010applicant

May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
April 2013
Passport Req..
January 2014
LANDED..........
January / February 2014
Navigate through the following links to get both quantitative and qualitative data about cost of living in Toronto.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Toronto
http://www.totallytoronto.net/information/Living_in_Toronto/Cost_of_Living_in_Toronto/

Hope it helps.

Good luck!!!

MasterBlaster

Sep 30, 2012
gudboy said:
Thanks a lot MasterBlaster for providing such an accurate piece of informaion.....

One more question, does basement places are available everywhere in each city???? Do you have privacy?
Basements are available in most places of the city. We researched a lot during the first two months after we landed, during which we were staying in a home stay. But you will have to be very careful with the location you chose. Avoid Scarborough and Eglinton at any cost. We were lucky to get a good clean basement and the landlord is also a nice guy. He's with his wife and infant baby..so not much trouble. Basements do have an entrance from the house, which in most cases can be locked for your privacy. Check toronot.kijiji.ca to search for basement options.

MasterBlaster

Sep 30, 2012
Everyone..please research deeply before you plan your landing. Its always better to find out ways to cut down your expenses if you know few important things in advance. We chose to stay in downtown rather than in Missisuaga or Brampton, which helped us in easy access to many events in Toronto. Toronto's public transportation has a huge network and you need just a monthly pass for unlimited travel across GTA. Also, try to do your grocery from No Frills or Walmart and avoid places like Loblows and Metro. Typically basement houses will have all-inclusive deals and are easy to get, unlike the apartments where they ask for credit checks, employment letters etc.

thebeast184

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2010
Doc's Request.
Submitted with App
AOR Received.
FEB 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted w App
Med's Request
Aug 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2012
LANDED..........
JAN 2013
Thanks for the links. I find numbeo not to seem too accurate. I have been using it for months and the month to month changes are sometimes amazing +/- 8% on some items... I think it can give you a good ball park and that's about it.

May2010applicant said:
Navigate through the following links to get both quantitative and qualitative data about cost of living in Toronto.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Toronto
http://www.totallytoronto.net/information/Living_in_Toronto/Cost_of_Living_in_Toronto/

Hope it helps.

Good luck!!!

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
May2010applicant said:

Hope it helps.

Good luck!!!

Rents escalated during this summer according to long time residents n rental agents,supply is not meeting demand in downtown toronto n rents r skyrocketing day by day.even in the vicinity of downtown rents r pretty high.

The data u gave is not matching current rental situation for condo or apartment.

We r paying 1300/mth ( rented 1 mth ago )excluding car parking n hydro for a brand new condo located at half an hr drive from downtown for a mere 700 sqft n with almost nill convinience stores around.one need to compromise on sth or other if going for lesser rent even in periphery.

Rental rates in the link u gave r not realistic.me n my spouse searched aggressively in downtown toronto n its vicinity for one and half mth looking for apartments n condos.we walked on foot to several apartments for several days,saw several condos thru rental agents,searched thru craglist n kijiji n in my opinion decent flats doesnt come for anything less than 1300 / mth even in the periphery,if one is getting then it clearly means several compromises in the form of facilities in flat,facilities in the building,area of living space,distance from metro,distance from convenience stores,safety of area etc etc.

Newcomers pls search kijiji n craiglist to get an idea.

rmaleshri

Apr 28, 2004
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Family Stream
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-29-2010
Doc's Request.
November 22, 2012
Nomination.....
06-29-2012
AOR Received.
10-03-2012
IELTS Request
Waived by AINP
File Transfer...
October 29, 2012
Med's Request
November 22, 2012
Med's Done....
December 10, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
November 22, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
14-02-2013
LANDED..........
In March 2013
Hi Guys,
If you get your PR and land in Toronto, beware of our own people. Most of the people who are ready to help you, have bad intention. I have seen and heard many cases, where they offer to help you to get your driving licence, SIN card, Health card etc. and charge you money. There is no charge for getting health card and SIN card. You can go to any Service Canada office and get them. for driving license, you have to go to one of the Kiosk and do the formalities.
While renting, be very careful. Check and photograph any damage, otherwise at the end of the lease, they will charge you. Shop around so that you get an idea of how much is the market rent.
Our Desis know that you have brought money from India and these sharks will try to empty your pocket and bank.

art2012 said:
Rents escalated during this summer according to long time residents n rental agents,supply is not meeting demand in downtown toronto n rents r skyrocketing day by day.even in the vicinity of downtown rents r pretty high.

The data u gave is not matching current rental situation.

We r paying 1300/mth ( rented 1 mth ago )excluding car parking n hydro for a brand new condo located at half an hr drive from downtown for a mere 700 sqft n with almost nill convinience stores around.one need to compromise on sth or other if going for lesser rent even in periphery.

Rental rates in the link u gave r not realistic.me n my spouse searched aggressively in downtown toronto n its vicinity for one and half mth looking for apartments n condos.we walked on foot to several apartments for several days,saw several condos thru rental agents,searched thru craglist n kijiji n in my opinion decent flats doesnt come for anything less than 1300 / mth even in the periphery,if one is getting then it clearly means several compromises in the form of facilities in flat,facilities in the building,area of living space,distance from metro,distance from convenience stores,safety of area etc etc.

Newcomers pls search kijiji n craiglist to get an idea.

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rmaleshri said:
Hi Guys,
If you get your PR and land in Toronto, beware of our own people. Most of the people who are ready to help you, have bad intention. I have seen and heard many cases, where they offer to help you to get your driving licence, SIN card, Health card etc. and charge you money. There is no charge for getting health card and SIN card. You can go to any Service Canada office and get them. for driving license, you have to go to one of the Kiosk and do the formalities.
While renting, be very careful. Check and photograph any damage, otherwise at the end of the lease, they will charge you. Shop around so that you get an idea of how much is the market rent.
Our Desis know that you have brought money from India and these sharks will try to empty your pocket and bank.

Ravi,

Any personal bitter experience with desis( indians ),if so pls share it will b helpful for others.

Recent incident of desi killing another desi's 10 mth baby n 60+ mother for money in USA is spine chilling .the so called family frnd did this,if interested to kw details browse thru news paper deccan chronicle by typing saanvi kidnapping n murder.

New comers b cautious while networking.

affectee2004

Star Member
May 6, 2012
rmalshri ,thankyou for warning .its alarming and scaring as most of us wants to stay close our asians .and masterblaster its a nice post but u r lucky to get good basement otherwise rents r really high for apartments he is right u cant get anything good below 1300 $ .what i heard abt basements are not good and depression as no proper windows .sounds of heating system . what do you say ?
any body any vote for missausaga .as when i went their as a visitor i liked missausaga due to squareone))) .i didnt like toronto . hamilton is also gloomy and didnt like oakwill too .but plz ppl do share ure experiences it can help others in descion making .thanks

gudboy

Mar 13, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2009
Doc's Request.
April 2010
Med's Request
05 June 2012
Med's Done....
17 June 2012
Interview........
Waied off
Passport Req..
12-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
DM 13 Nov 2012 InshAllah Soon
LANDED..........
InshAllah in March April 2013
Guys please hold on

We are on this forum to help each other not to discourage or usrbad words about anyone. We all are created by Allah The Most Merciful The Most Beneficient. And He created all of us equally. No one is superior.

This is true that one bad fish spoils the whole pool but please dont use obsasive language for any nationality or anyone. If you can help othrs and get help from others you are most welcome otherwise you can opt out

This is very humble request

Tawakal

Star Member
Jul 6, 2011
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/06/2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
30/08/2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
30/08/2011
Med's Request
22/06/2012
Med's Done....
16/07/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15/03/2013
VISA ISSUED...
5/04/2013
LANDED..........
June,2013
Hi,
Is there anyone who can explain the Toronto areas according to ethnic groups. For example Mississauga more South Asians (Pakistani) etc. and also if tell us about expensive and less expensive areas. Secondly which Islamic school is best for kids in Toronto?
Thanks and regards

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We cant say avoid this country people or that country people or our own country people.

Caution is required while networking,cheating can happen from any country person,although there is high possibility from own country people because of TRUST.people trust same country people quickly.

Newcomers can take help from their country people n most of time one gets help quickly from same country people,there r some long time residents who love to help people from their country.

CAUTION IS REQUIRED WHILE NETWORKING WITH YOUR OWN COUNTRY PEOPLE, WHEREAS EXTRA CAUTION IS REQUIRED WHILE NETWORKING WITH DIFFERENT COUNTRY PEOPLE.its like swiming in known waters n unknown waters.

Good n bad exists in every country n religion,choose people wisely n cautiously.

thebeast184

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2011
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 2010
Doc's Request.
Submitted with App
AOR Received.
FEB 2011
IELTS Request
Submitted w App
Med's Request
Aug 2012
Med's Done....
Sep 2012
Passport Req..
Oct 2012
VISA ISSUED...
NOV 2012
LANDED..........
JAN 2013
Guys/gals,

Back to the original thread.... What are the cable/internet providers in Toronto? Which do you recommend?

Thanks!