+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

cost of visa medical exam and tourist medical insurance

amouresansfrontieres

Oct 24, 2016
i am arriving in canada next year from the UK to be married to a canadian citizen and need some advice on the medical examination required for the spousal visa and when to have it.

i currently understand that the medical does not need to be included with the initial application but that it will be requested at some point during the application process. i was going to get it done in the UK and include it with the visa application but i understand that a medical exam is only valid for 12 months which, if the application process is longer than that timeframe, may be a problem.

what are the current costs of the medical and where can i get it done in canada? in the uk there are only a few locations where they are offered and the cost is around £300, around 500 canadian dollars. i don't want to spend that only to find i need another medical in canada. it's also one less thing to do before i leave and there is already so much to do.

also, for those of you who are living in canada on a tourist visa waiting for your PR via the spousal application process, how much does tourist health insurance cost? i have one prescription for a minor ailment which i use regularly, asthma medication. my thought is to ask my uk doctor to provide me enough prescriptions to cover an extended period, possibly 3 prescriptions or more, i understand that most GPs in the uk will do this quite happily, or pay for tourist medical insurance so that i would be able to get the medication in canada. would tourist health insurance cover this?

or could i pay for a private consultation with a canadian GP in order to get the medication in canada? I understand that healthcare costs in canada are expensive. does anyone have a recent personal experience that would help me decide what the most practical and cost effective way of accessing my medication would be?

wishing you all a merry christmas. good luck with your applications. i hope 2017 will bring us all closer together with our loved ones.