Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 29, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
in Vancouver February 2011 (target)
thank you so much for this thread. hope everyone who are already in canada will share too :)

mtlguy

Star Member
Oct 23, 2009
Montreal Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tunny,

I did a lot of research on auto insurance in Canada before moving from US. Each and every individual is considered as a brand new driver in Canada irrespective of your driving history in your home country. Fortunately, they are willing to accommodate people who can prove a positive driving history in USA.

I had to get a "Driving Record" from USA. Since I was moving from Washington state, I had to request this record from Washington DMV. This is a letter reflecting your driving record in USA. It shows history of upto 5 years. Further, I had to get a letter of reference from every insurance provider I have had in the USA for the last 5 years. Thankfully I have been with Geico and they provided me with a letter within 24 hrs. This letter simply shows the record of any claims issued by the insurance company (fault or no fault).

Once I submitted the above 2. I could establish North American Driving history and get comprehensive auto insurance at 75$ / month which I still consider expensive.

I am not sure if driving and insurance records from western european countries or for that matter any other country is accepted. No harm collecting the documents and sending it to the auto insurance companies.

Word of advice. Most major banks such as RBC, TD etc offer home and auto insurance. Try to get your insurance through your bank and it might help you. I have my auto insurance going out of my RBC account every month. No hassel so far ;D

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding importing your car and auto insurance.

tunnytox said:
I landed in Canada in June but I'm back now in the UK hoping to relocate later....what I am curious about is the car insurance bit most people I met in Canada complained about the astronomical cost of Car Insurance, for instance a couple of them says they pay up to $200 - $300 per month on car insurance for a 1997 car! I found these amount simply outrageous however, most people here are posting arounf $70 - $100 for car insurance can someone living in Canada please throw more light into this area?

Regards

gjp

Star Member
Feb 15, 2008
I have to agree with Tunny. I moved from the US to Canada and Auto insurance charges are very high here. When I started shopping for insurance there were some agents and insurance companies that quoted $6000/yr and $5000/yr. The cheapest one I could find was for $3000/yr ($250/month) and when I checked with some of my Canadian friends they told that $3000/yr for the first year is a great deal.
So, where do we get $75 and $100 insurance in Canada?

Skeptic

Star Member
Apr 11, 2010
United States
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Feb-2010
Doc's Request.
16-Apr-2010
AOR Received.
18-Dec-2010
File Transfer...
20-Apr-2010, 16-Nov-2011
vmpvmp said:
There is 15% extra tax on each item which is not printed. If an item is having price tag of $100/-, we have to pay $115. And from July 2010, (not sure) it is going to be 17%. So people say that total is 50%.
The sales tax varies from province to province. Ontario and British Columbia just combined the GST (federal sales tax) and PST (province sales tax) into one HST (harmonized tax). I was in Ontario the day the new HST went into effect, so there were lots of news articles about it. It doesn't apply to everything, so basic groceries are exempt, but junk food is taxed. Utilities are taxed but auto insurance is not and, odd I remember this, all kinds of lessons are taxed except for music lessons (weird).

Chart for Ontario is here. http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/taxchange/pdf/taxable.pdf

In the other provinces they charge separate PST and GST so there's some things taxed under one and not another.

mtlguy

Star Member
Oct 23, 2009
Montreal Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I moved from USA in March 2009. Was running on US tag and insurance until july 2009. Purchased RBC auto insurance for $75/month after proving to them a positive driving history with records of no claim. This is in quebec. I am not sure about rates in other provinces. I have heard B.C is the worst...my brother was paying $200/month during the same time...he moved to quebec and started paying $80/month through RBC again.

I just renewed my policy for another 12 months at $76/month...went up by a $...weird!!! not complaining though.

I have a luxury car with all upgrades except navigation system. It is worth $15K right now and I have $500 deductable for collision and damage. I have comprehensive insurance and yes I am paying $76/month.

I think auto insurance is regulated in B.C...you cannot shop on your own...but if u are in other province...check with your banks.

Good luck!

gjp said:
I have to agree with Tunny. I moved from the US to Canada and Auto insurance charges are very high here. When I started shopping for insurance there were some agents and insurance companies that quoted $6000/yr and $5000/yr. The cheapest one I could find was for $3000/yr ($250/month) and when I checked with some of my Canadian friends they told that $3000/yr for the first year is a great deal.
So, where do we get $75 and $100 insurance in Canada?

kane

Star Member
Jul 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
DAKAR
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MARCH 2009
Doc's Request.
MAY 2010
AOR Received.
MAY 2010
IELTS Request
MAY 2010
Med's Request
MARCH 2012
Med's Done....
MAY 6TH 2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
MARCH 13TH 2012
VISA ISSUED...
AUGUST 1ST 2012
LANDED..........
MARCH 2013
Thanks for the info guys,but how much cost a daycare?

kane

Star Member
Jul 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
DAKAR
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
MARCH 2009
Doc's Request.
MAY 2010
AOR Received.
MAY 2010
IELTS Request
MAY 2010
Med's Request
MARCH 2012
Med's Done....
MAY 6TH 2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
MARCH 13TH 2012
VISA ISSUED...
AUGUST 1ST 2012
LANDED..........
MARCH 2013

prhelp

Jul 18, 2010
Depending on where you live the province and the area and the Neighborhood you don't have pay a lot

rent i pay 300 i have a pool
Food i pay about 150 a month
spending money 200 a month
phone and internet 50
medical insurance covers 250 a year

me2land

Aug 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The thing to note about auto insurance in Canada is that it can vary from place to place in a big way. One city can be as much as 5 times more expensive than the other.

¬m2l

gcctocanada

Jun 12, 2010
Bahrain
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3/5/10
AOR Received.
4/15/10
IELTS Request
4/15/10
File Transfer...
9/23/10
Med's Request
6/20/13
Med's Done....
7/17/13- with PC and RPRF
Passport Req..
9/10/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/06/2013
LANDED..........
12/9/2013 EDMONTON
please, anybody knows how much is daycare? i have 3year old son. tnx

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I called and got some prices for one DAYCARE in North Vancouver, but expect these rates would give you a good idea for most of Vancouver.
1-3 years old, 5 days/week, 7am-6pm, $1,060 per month
3-5 years old, as above, $ 735 per month
School aged (before/after school) $ 475 per month

Nicholas

Star Member
Aug 6, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I landed in Canada in June but I'm back now in the UK hoping to relocate later....what I am curious about is the car insurance bit most people I met in Canada complained about the astronomical cost of Car Insurance, for instance a couple of them says they pay up to $200 - $300 per month on car insurance for a 1997 car! I found these amount simply outrageous however, most people here are posting arounf $70 - $100 for car insurance can someone living in Canada please throw more light into this area?

Regards

There's a little secret you need to know; get a letter from you UK insurer stating that you have had no accidents for the past 3 years. This will help you to get a lower rate. Unlike the UK, each province in Canada has different insurane. In Alberta it is all private, and as a new resident, you will often have to pay 3 times the normal rate. It's not because you are an immigrant, I too, as a Canadian returning to Canada also have to pay this higher rate, but a letter from my insurer where I last lived will help to get a lower rate.

For the person concerned with income tax, unless your income is very high, look to paying about 35 to 40% in all payroll decuctions. Sometimes a little less.

A word of adice to you all; It's best that the bread winner in the family comes over first. Try to find some shared accommadation first. Once you have found a job, look for a cheap apartment or townhouse to rent. Keep your expenses as low as you can for the first 3 years. Bring the rest of your family over once you have found a job and you have become more aware of the realities of Canada.

My parents immigrated to Canada in the 1950's, and we often had new immigrants bording with us. It saved money for the new immigrants and provided my family with some extra income.

Best of luck to you all.