+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Coronavirus and Landing as a settler

nicmart

Aug 8, 2012
Category........
FSW
Hi, I did my PR soft landing in Sept 2019 and was told by the customs officer then I could have up to a year to provide my list of goods to follow.
I am wondering if an extension is possible in the current context of corona-virus pandemic or even better if I can mail this list without being present by the deadline?

Thanks

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I did my PR soft landing in Sept 2019 and was told to provide my list of goods to follow at latest a year later so Sept 2020.
I am wondering if an extension is possible in the current context of corona-virus pandemic or even better if I can mail this list without being present by the deadline?

Thanks
Covid 19 should not prevent you from sending the list.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi, I did my PR soft landing in Sept 2019 and was told to provide my list of goods to follow at latest a year later so Sept 2020.

Thanks

1, You received bad advice.
2. There is no time limit in Memorandum D2-2-2 Settler's effect as to when the goods must be imported.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The customs officer didn't say it was a time limit for the goods to be imported but to present my goods to follow list. As a result I didn't give him the list when doing my soft landing.
Then there is something wrong with your wording in your first post. You wrote: "was told by the customs officer then I could have up to a year.."

nicmart

Aug 8, 2012
Category........
FSW
Then there is something wrong with your wording in your first post. You wrote: "was told by the customs officer then I could have up to a year.."
Up to a year to provide the list of goods.

nicmart

Aug 8, 2012
Category........
FSW
That's the bad advice.
How so, can you please elaborate? Post below said the same thing but referring to no time limit to import the goods, not to provide the list of goods as far as I can tell:

1, You received bad advice.
2. There is no time limit in Memorandum D2-2-2 Settler's effect as to when the goods must be imported.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html
If anything the above link seem to state it is too late to provide said list: "This list must be presented to the border services officer when the settler first arrives in Canada, even if no goods are being imported at that time".

Last edited:

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
How so, can you please elaborate? Post below said the same thing but referring to no time limit to import the goods, not to provide the list of goods as far as I can tell:

If anything the above link seem to state it is too late to provide said list: "This list must be presented to the border services officer when the settler first arrives in Canada, even if no goods are being imported at that time".
The link says following

Who are Considered Settlers?

1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.

You said you did "soft landing". If you did soft landing you were not a settler and not required to provide a GTF list.

nicmart

Aug 8, 2012
Category........
FSW
The link says following

Who are Considered Settlers?

1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.

You said you did "soft landing". If you did soft landing you were not a settler and not required to provide a GTF list.
So you're saying I don't have a particular time limit to land as a "settler" for customs purposes, besides the 2 out of 5 years requirement to retain my permanent resident immigration status? In other words I can submit that goods to follow list later than 1 year after doing my soft landing?

nicmart

Aug 8, 2012
Category........
FSW
Any update on this? I'm still wondering if I need to go out of my way to fly in before the 1 year after doing my landing is due just so I can submit my list of goods to the CBSA agent (again I would not be moving my belongings then).

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any update on this? I'm still wondering if I need to go out of my way to fly in before the 1 year after doing my landing is due just so I can submit my list of goods to the CBSA agent (again I would not be moving my belongings then).
What update are you looking for?

nicmart

Aug 8, 2012
Category........
FSW
The post before my last one, as what I read so far in previous posts still does not directly address my original question.

nicmart

Aug 8, 2012
Category........
FSW
Hi, I did my PR soft landing in Sept 2019 and was told by the customs officer then I could have up to a year to provide my list of goods to follow.

Thanks
Replying to my own question, I spoke to two Canada Border Officers over the phone (one of which having reviewed my file) who made it clear there had been a misunderstanding and there is no such thing as 1 year to submit the list of goods to follow. I am free to submit the list when I'm ready to move, as long, of course, as it's within the conditions of my permanent residency obligations: 2 years within 5 year period since I did my landing. When I do, I should be ready to prove to the officer I had been living abroad since I did my landing.