Corona Virus threat to Travel , COPR expires on 24th April 2020

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It's upto you if you want to check or not. I don't really care.
Point here is not about being citizens or foreign nationals. It's about if you can travel with COPR or not. You can stay back if you don't want to travel.

For others on the Forum, you may refer to the below link and decide.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#Approved_permanent_residence
I'm a Canadian citizen living in Canada, so I don't need to "stay back" anywhere.

There is nothing to check. A person with a COPR who has not landed is still a foreign national. Nothing in the updates states that there is any exemption for COPR holders to travel.

See here https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

For practical purposes, the denial of boarding would apply to:
  • all foreign nationals on flights to Canada other than trans-border flights, and
  • any foreign national on a trans-border flight who has resided outside the US and Canada in the last 14 days.
In simple terms, you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

kmuhammadsaad

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
It's upto you if you want to check or not. I don't really care.
Point here is not about being citizens or foreign nationals. It's about if you can travel with COPR or not. You can stay back if you don't want to travel.

For others on the Forum, you may refer to the below link and decide.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html#Approved_permanent_residence
Thanks bro. When do you plan on landing? Would it be prudent to check with your carrier before? Let me know how it goes for you. I'm in the same boat

sudheer_thota

Mar 16, 2020
Thanks bro. When do you plan on landing? Would it be prudent to check with your carrier before? Let me know how it goes for you. I'm in the same boat
[/QUOTE
My flight is on 19th March from Mumbai. I'll keep posting updates.

Ali khan1011

Mar 17, 2020
I am pretty sure you are allowed. COPR depending on your case. if you have immediate family of Canadian citizen or pr holder in Canada. You will be allowed.
Immediate family includes your spouse. That’s what it is in my case. My wife is coming and she has a one time visa and a COPR. I am her immediate family ( her husband) with a Canadian citizenship.

let me know if I am mistaken. Thanks

Reactions: Ansh sharma

Amritchahal05

Star Member
Nov 21, 2019
I am pretty sure you are allowed. COPR depending on your case. if you have immediate family of Canadian citizen or pr holder in Canada. You will be allowed.
Immediate family includes your spouse. That’s what it is in my case. My wife is coming and she has a one time visa and a COPR. I am her immediate family ( her husband).

let me know if I am mistaken. Thanks
That’s true i guess. I have booked ticket of 22 march and i have COPR with stamp in my passport which says only one time entery. My spouse is permanent resident so i guess we can enter with COPR. I have listen this video though and interview of minister of transport he refers that immediate family member of citizens or permanent residents can enter.

Reactions: Ali khan1011

Ali khan1011

Mar 17, 2020
That’s true i guess. I have booked ticket of 22 march and i have COPR with stamp in my passport which says only one time entery. My spouse is permanent resident so i guess we can enter with COPR. I have listen this video though and interview of minister of transport he refers that immediate family member of citizens or permanent residents can enter.
Exactly. Immediate family! It’s different if someone is migrating for the first time with COPR and doesn’t have immediate family in Canada with a cad citizenship or a PR. In that case it would be a no but since me in my case and your spouse in your case are the immediate a family in Canada.. then the travel ban should not be an issue.

IF you just have a copr and do not have an immediate family in Canada with a Canadian citizenship/PR then you cannot enter. You don’t have a reason to. For us, our spouse needs to get to us in order to start a life here.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The key phrase seems to be 'immediate family members of citizens' in the text on IRCC site does not seem to say anything about immediate family members of PRs. Maybe this is an error between what a minsiter said and how the IRCC text has been written ?

In simple terms, you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Still not clear even for family members of citizens how anyone can show an airline checkin agent that they are an immediate family member of even a citizen and the airline will not want to be exposed to allowing travel against the instruction.

Suggest that anyone still planning on travelling contacts their airline, not easy at the moment, but the airline will have the last say whether they allow anyone to board a plane or not This is only a public forum with access to public information, the airline will likely have more specific board/ no board instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: canuck_in_uk

Ali khan1011

Mar 17, 2020
The key phrase seems to be 'immediate family members of citizens' in the text on IRCC site does not seem to say anything about immediate family members of PRs. Maybe this is an error between what a minsiter said and how the IRCC text has been written ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Still not clear even for family members of citizens how anyone can show an airline checkin agent that they are an immediate family member of even a citizen and the airline will not want to be exposed to allowing travel against the instruction.

Suggest that anyone still planning on travelling contacts their airline, not easy at the moment, but the aitline will have the last say whether they allow anoyone to board a plane or not.
In Pakistan, on the ID card it says husband name. On the COPR it will say status is married and it shows the husband name.. how is the airline going against their instructions? Can you explain more in depth please

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
In Pakistan, on the ID card it says husband name. On the COPR it will say status is married and it shows the husband name.. how is the airline going against their instructions? Can you explain more in depth please
This as you know is just a public forum ,nobody here works for an airline, Canadian Government or IRCC hence anyone planning on travelling should contact the airline for clarification on the instructions they have.

Sure someone can show they are married so they are an immediate family member but the mystery still is if the sponsoring citizen is not travelling with the family member how will an airline assess the relationship at checkin just because a COPR has a name on it. Add to that having a COPR does not make someone a PR until they have landed and it is not clear whether someone can proceed to land with these new instructions or will need to follow a deferral process until travel restrictions are eased

So to repeat contact the airline not a public forum given the airline will decide who can board or not based on official instructions they have been given

Doc7orAn!sh

Feb 8, 2020
hi guys, so my passport is at the Canada visa office in new Delhi since the 4th of march, i am waiting on my PR visa, but now i'm concerned about when, and if i'll get my visas, i'm half scared the would send it back without a visa because of the corona virus. did anyone else get their visas recently? or does anyone have any news regarding this, whats going on and what are they planning to do with the passports that are already at their office? please let me know. will be very grateful. Thank you.

ZestForLife

Mar 16, 2020
Hello
I have my flights booked for Mid April, however, looking at the current situations and border closing anytime, at a fix to make a decision. My COPR expires in July. I have time, however, with changing decisions being made by officials/governments, what should I do?
Travel immediately or can wait till June?
If you have a job already, it makes sense to reach early and grab it. Otherwise, I believe hiring has been put on hold across Canada. If you don't have a job offer, hold on for three weeks to a month and wait for the picture to become clearer. Staying in Canada without a job means that you will be spending money to sustain yourself with no income.

ZestForLife

Mar 16, 2020
hi guys, so my passport is at the Canada visa office in new Delhi since the 4th of march, i am waiting on my PR visa, but now i'm concerned about when, and if i'll get my visas, i'm half scared the would send it back without a visa because of the corona virus. did anyone else get their visas recently? or does anyone have any news regarding this, whats going on and what are they planning to do with the passports that are already at their office? please let me know. will be very grateful. Thank you.

Canada COPR via the Canadian High Commission, New Delhi is currently taking 21 days. My son just received his today. Corona virus had no impact on visa stamping. Be patient.

NishaThakkar

Apr 18, 2019
If you have a job already, it makes sense to reach early and grab it. Otherwise, I believe hiring has been put on hold across Canada. If you don't have a job offer, hold on for three weeks to a month and wait for the picture to become clearer. Staying in Canada without a job means that you will be spending money to sustain yourself with no income.
Hi, the question here is if people with COPR can travel in current situation. My COPR expires on 10th April.

Hope_92

Mar 17, 2020
Hi,

I have a ticket booked for 22nd of March from New Delhi to Toronto however due to current situation, Canada government has banned all the foreign entries hence i don't think i will able to travel.

And my COPR will expire on 20th of May, so i need to know will IRCC extend COPR validity date if we request them?

Please suggest.