+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR Watermark states Not Valid for Travel

cacouncill94

Mar 28, 2018
I received 2 copies of my COPR and the watermark on both states Not Valid for Travel, does this mean i cannot use it for my soft landing? Or am i just worrying for nothing.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
"Not Valid for Travel" means that you can't use your CoPR by itself to enter Canada. You still need a valid visa or visa-exempt passport to enter Canada until you officially become a permanent resident. If you sent your passport to your visa office, you should have received a special entry visa that will allow you to enter the country. If you only had to send a copy of your passport, you can use your passport to enter Canada.

Reactions: tobs

cacouncill94

Mar 28, 2018
"Not Valid for Travel" means that you can't use your CoPR by itself to enter Canada. You still need a valid visa or visa-exempt passport to enter Canada until you officially become a permanent resident. If you sent your passport to your visa office, you should have received a special entry visa that will allow you to enter the country. If you only had to send a copy of your passport, you can use your passport to enter Canada.
Thank you! This just took a huge load of stress off. They had me send a copy of my US passport prior to sending me the COPR so my US passport is all i am going to need.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The COPR can be used for re-entry at a land border, if traveling in a private vehicle (passenger car). It's only the commercial carriers (air,rail, bus) that would likely require a PR Card.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
COPR can be use to prove that you have landed (once you will become PR). You cannot use it to board the plane, but you can still use it on the border crossing itself (if for whatever reasons you do not have your PR card).
But of course you also need your passport, so you cannot use it alone.