+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPR soon expired

ilovesnoopy

May 22, 2019
Hello,

I received the CoPR (issued after March 18) this year which will expire in April 2021, and that is also the expiry date of the passports of my two accompanied kids. I was told airline will reject us to fly if our passport expiry date is less than 6 months. And now the border is still closed to general travelers including prospective PRs like me. We are in a dilemma now... even the border is open before April, we may not be allowed to fly due to the 6-month rule ... is there a chance the IRCC can extend/renew the CoPR (so that we can renew the passports and have it linked to the new CoPR)? We can wait for border to open but feel lost on what to do next.... Appreciate advice from experienced ones. Thank you!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The 6 months rule does not apply to you if traveling direct to Canada.

ilovesnoopy

May 22, 2019
Thanks Steaky for your reply. IRCC said we can come with valid passports but the issue is with the airline. I heard the 6 months rule is set by the airline. Could you give more info on why it does not apply to our case?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's because you are traveling to Canada with an immigrant document (i.e. COPR) with your expiring passport!

ilovesnoopy

May 22, 2019
It's because you are traveling to Canada with an immigrant document (i.e. COPR) with your expiring passport!
Thank you again! I hope the airline will consider our immigrant situation. More importantly, I wish the border could be open before April before our passports expired.

jackyromma

Jun 23, 2020
IRCC has forgotten the immigrats with outland CoPR and expired CoPR. They should treat this group as international students. But they didn't.
International student is supported by local school, there is not local organization who can give support for immigrats.
Could immigrats lauch one protest activity? Why dont they add one exampt as international student?
The amount of international student is far more than new immigrats. I don't understand why we are treated so unfair.

shahid2909

Star Member
Mar 22, 2019
Hello,

I received the CoPR (issued after March 18) this year which will expire in April 2021, and that is also the expiry date of the passports of my two accompanied kids. I was told airline will reject us to fly if our passport expiry date is less than 6 months. And now the border is still closed to general travelers including prospective PRs like me. We are in a dilemma now... even the border is open before April, we may not be allowed to fly due to the 6-month rule ... is there a chance the IRCC can extend/renew the CoPR (so that we can renew the passports and have it linked to the new CoPR)? We can wait for border to open but feel lost on what to do next... Appreciate advice from experienced ones. Thank you!
I don't know why my medical didn't extend. I am yet to receive my Passport but the counterfoil expiry is showing up to the 25th of Jan 2021 (on my profile). On the other hand, travel restriction is still there. Does anybody know someone who travelled even with their post 18 March COPR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
IRCC has forgotten the immigrats with outland CoPR and expired CoPR. They should treat this group as international students. But they didn't.
International student is supported by local school, there is not local organization who can give support for immigrats.
Could immigrats lauch one protest activity? Why dont they add one exampt as international student?
The amount of international student is far more than new immigrats. I don't understand why we are treated so unfair.
International students are paying high tuition fees that are an important revenue stream. They also don't qualify for most social support programs. There is very little hiring going on so having a lot of immigrants arrive only to be unemployed does not make sense either.